PDA

View Full Version : Why the sun-light looks sometime extremely "Yellow"

suntrack2
2008-Sep-23, 10:16 AM
I have experience such kind of light only once in the last week. There was a very bright yellow colour sun-light.

what would be the reason for this? It was really extremely "yellow" light for just an hour or so.

It was not in the evening, the perfect time was near about 2.00 'O' clock.(noon)

astromark
2008-Sep-23, 10:33 AM
Very high windblown dust. This can be volcanic, or brushfire driven dust or smoke. High altitude ice crystals and, yes just plain old smog... There are many reasons why sunlight can appear to be yellow. Atmospheric aberration and dirty atmospheric conditions are not the best friend of astronomers.
Where are you viewing from ?

alainprice
2008-Sep-23, 04:08 PM
Yes, dust in the air. Last time I saw it was during heavy fires in the Quebec forests. The sun was seen as red all the way down to Richmond, Virginia(where I stopped).

It can even make the high noon sun red.

mugaliens
2008-Sep-23, 04:25 PM
IThere was a very bright yellow colour sun-light. What would be the reason for this? It was really extremely "yellow" light for just an hour or so.

Jor-el wanted Clark to get a super-suntan to fight off Bizzaro at the beginning of the eighth season?

George
2008-Sep-23, 08:51 PM
I have experience such kind of light only once in the last week. There was a very bright yellow colour sun-light.
What do you mean by yellow sunlight? Were you able to look directly at the Sun and see it as yellow, or did something illuminated by Sunlight appear yellow?

[It would be unusual for a mid-day Sun to not be too bright to see directly.]

Sam5
2008-Sep-23, 09:10 PM
Yes, dust in the air. Last time I saw it was during heavy fires in the Quebec forests. The sun was seen as red all the way down to Richmond, Virginia(where I stopped).

It can even make the high noon sun red.

Yes, same here, due to forest fires.

One time I went outside and noticed this but I saw no smoke. I studied it a while then I remember some fires about 100 or more miles away. Sure enough, it was high altitude smoke that was spread out evenly and thin and didn't look like smoke at all, but it caused the yellow/orange sky.

Also, when I lived in L.A. the air over the whole city was usually yellow or orange.