PDA

View Full Version : Speech on 2012

swirvo
2008-Sep-24, 04:15 AM
Hey guys,

I have to do my final speech in a couple of weeks and I'd like to do a persuasive speech about 2012... (been a hot topic in debate the last couple of weeks in that class).

I'm not asking anyone to do my homework for me by any means, but any links that could help my powerpoint presentation would be greatly appreciated.

I know about the solar alignment and all that, but I would just like to persuade my audience that it has no bearing on life as we know it other than a once in a lifetime event ie., haley's comet^100.

Anything that could help this cause would be wonderful, but I'd really appreciate any links that I could incorporate into powerpoint and start rehearsing my speech.

Thanks guys.

2008-Sep-24, 04:36 AM
I'm not asking anyone to do my homework for me by any means, but any links that could help my powerpoint presentation would be greatly appreciated.

Have you applied the search function to BAUT Forum? It should be easy to find a lot of topics about year 2012 predictions, some of which will link to materials demolishing the unsupported ones.

Or, you can wait and see if anyone just comes here and gives you a bunch of useful links.

I know what I'd do.

And, welcome to BAUT Forum. Have fun with your presentation.

By the way, which 2012 solar alignment are you aware of? The 2012 predictions specify a variety of strange alignments, but few reflect reality.

NEOWatcher
2008-Sep-24, 12:33 PM
Have you applied the search function to BAUT Forum?
What? No list this time? :lol:

It should be easy to find a lot of topics about year 2012 predictions, some of which will link to materials demolishing the unsupported ones.
Yes; Unfortunately, there's a lot to weed through to get legitimate answers. (Possibly the answer to my earlier question)

By the way, which 2012 solar alignment are you aware of? The 2012 predictions specify a variety of strange alignments, but few reflect reality.
That's a good place to start.
It starts with a cause, rather than some wild theory about an effect. And; that can dispel any misinformation right away.

KaiYeves
2008-Sep-25, 12:30 AM
Start with the fact, that the Mayan calendar, like most calendars, is cyclical and unending. As one cycle ends, another begins.

swirvo
2008-Sep-25, 03:43 AM
Yes I'm sorry for not being as clear.

Galactic equator in '98, mayan calender has no end really, much like our own, etc. I'm simply interested of any pictorials someone might have in their bookmarks or something.

I have a few and I don't want my whole presentation to be demonstrated with starry night. I'm sure I can dig and find what I need but if anyone has anything nifty and convenient considering the subject nature I'd be much obliged.

Thanks again guys.

2008-Oct-01, 05:34 PM
Galactic equator in '98, mayan calender has no end really, much like our own, etc. I'm simply interested of any pictorials someone might have in their bookmarks or something.

I guess we don't -- or do and won't. I don't know.

As a group, we are pretty good at being skeptical of 2012 predictions, and demanding solid evidence of claims, and demolishing arguments based on nonsense, but I doubt there are many, even any, here who have collections of refuting images at the ready.

I'd expect most any of the BAUT skeptics would have to go off and search for that kind of material were it needed.

Good luck on your presentation. If you (or anyone) do find some cool links, or other good 2012-debunking material, feel free to present them here. Some 2012-fearers may even wander through this topic from a search engine, and find solace in such links. And, if good facts accumulate, this topic even might be immortalized in the list of 2012 topics (example (http://www.bautforum.com/conspiracy-theories/79425-all-truth-about-2012-a.html#post1332675)) that I haul around to 2012-prediction-claims topics.

Rue
2008-Oct-01, 08:10 PM
My advice is to not show a slide of the Aztec sun stone when talking about the Mayan calendar. The 2012 supporters seem to do this all the time.

KaiYeves
2008-Oct-01, 10:04 PM
My advice is to not show a slide of the Aztec sun stone when talking about the Mayan calendar. The 2012 supporters seem to do this all the time.
Could be worse. Newsweek showed a picture of Machu Picchu. Which is Incan/Inkan. Way to give archeologists ulcers.

toothdust
2008-Oct-01, 11:48 PM
I've often wondered what the percentage of sky being watched for new, incoming objects to our solar system? Do we have automated scopes looking up? How many amateur astronomers are there worldwide watching the night sky?

Some ideas could be to show that if a planet/binary star were entering our inner system, even at 4 years away it would be well within Neptune's orbit.

You could also make the point that maybe the 2012 date refers to some spectacular comet making its latest return. Comets don't bring about the end of the world, unless of course they occupy the same point as Earth at the same time. Ouch.