PDA

View Full Version : The nitpickiest nitpick in the history of nitpicking.

johnwitts
2002-Mar-21, 09:50 PM
I've picked up my copy of 'Bad Astronomy' today for the bargain price of just under 12 English pounds. I don't mess about with this Amazon doodah, I ordered it from Waterstones, and picked it up myself. Very nice book.

Now for 'The nitpickiest nitpick in the history of nitpicking.' It states in Chapter 1, The Yolk's on You, page 13 that...
'Chances are it's not March 21 as you read this.'
Well, I hate to be a spoilsport, but it is March 21 as I read it. So what does that say about your theory? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Do you Yanks really all stand eggs on their ends today? Is it really that big a thing, covered on TV and in the papers? We've never heard of it over here in Blighty. You lot must be nuts.

Anyway, here's congratulating Mr BA on a fine publication.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: johnwitts on 2002-03-21 16:51 ]</font>

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Mar-21, 10:11 PM
Heh. My egg-standing page got 10,000 hits yesterday. It usually gets literally 20-50 hits a day. So yeah, it's a popular idea. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I hope you like the rest of the book. Sounds like you're only 20 or so pages into it.

johnwitts
2002-Mar-21, 10:52 PM
I already like the book, even though I've yet to get past the eggy bits. I've been too busy trying to balance eggs on their ends. And anyway, I only got the thing about four hours ago, and I've had to drive home and I've been reading my 'E-stuff' and had my tea and ...
So, 20 pages isn't too shabby. I'll have finished the book by tomorrow. 'Probably'. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Seriously, even though I've only had it a few hours, I'm already glad I bought it. I'm so often dissapointed in my book purchases (Dark Moon, for instance), but not in this case. I won't be asking for my money back.
When is Lucas making the movie. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Mar-22, 08:59 AM
That is pretty nitpicky. Besides, I just read that passage, and it's not March 21st. Maybe it's different where you are.

But here are some more candidates for nitpickiest:

On page 5 of Bad Astronomy, it reads "Their home on the web is one of the most populat sites on the planet." I'm pretty sure that should be "popular", unless it's supposed to be "populated".

On page 29, it reads "people think is a really long time," which is certainly true for me, but it probably should be "people think it is a really long time".

Kaptain K
2002-Mar-22, 09:13 AM
On page 5 of Bad Astronomy, it reads "Their home on the web is one of the most populat sites on the planet." I'm pretty sure that should be "popular", unless it's supposed to be "populated".
Maybe it's "poplar" 'cause it has a lot of trees /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Mar-22, 09:14 AM
Somehow, Kaptain K, I think you're going to like this thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=823&forum=9&0) that I just started.

Kaptain K
2002-Mar-22, 09:19 AM
Been there. See my response.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Mar-22, 12:00 PM
Just as I suspected.

And, by the way, the equinox was on March 20 this year, for 2/3 of the Earth, right?