PDA

View Full Version : Creative Stuff - What Do You Do?

Drunk Vegan
2008-Sep-25, 11:28 PM
I saw someone posting poetry today, and it ocurred to me that I haven't really any indication of any kind of non-scientific creative interests from the members here.

What do you to do?

Personally I enjoy writing poetry and taking photographs and doing photomanipulations (because I can't draw).

I also do quite a bit of publishing both in my work and personal life. For about 4 months when I was the moderator for the now nonexistent torrentspy.com, I produced a creative magazine for the members of that site. It unfortunately fell apart when the site did.

I've been thinking of starting it up again, with a larger submission base, when the new website I'm working on creating comes online in about 4 or 5 months.

Anyway, what sorts of creative activities or projects are you all involved in?

KaiYeves
2008-Sep-26, 01:24 AM
I draw, write stories, and take photographs which I sometimes play with in Photoshop at school.

Tinaa
2008-Sep-26, 01:31 AM
I design and create costumes and props for our HS and middle school drama dept. I video American Cutting Horse Association competition and my stepson's football games. I mostly do my best to raise, feed and parent five teenagers, four dogs, five cats and a husband.

schlaugh
2008-Sep-26, 01:36 AM
I tie flies - for fly fishing. And am trying to work my way up to tying old fashioned salmon flies, like these:

http://www.bestclassicsalmonflies.com/wolfgang_goldie_hawn-1.jpg

nauthiz
2008-Sep-26, 02:24 AM
I spin, knit, and weave.

Bolasanibk
2008-Sep-26, 07:15 AM
Does thinking up innovative excuses count?:lol:

On a serious note: Photography and an occasional limerick.

cjl
2008-Sep-26, 07:57 AM
Amateur rocketry - it's a nice combination of creativity (design) and engineering and science.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Sep-26, 08:04 AM
Tablet-weaving, sewing, blacksmithing, carpentry, leather working, computer programming... .

A.DIM
2008-Sep-26, 12:27 PM
I write poetry, character sketches and lyrics.

I play music; multi-instrumentalist.

I'm a gardener.

Cougar
2008-Sep-26, 01:45 PM
I'm a solo multitrack recording artist (http://www.soundclick.com/donchambers), a photographer, a Chinese brush bamboo watercolorist, and a wordsmith.

http://www.xmission.com/~dcc/0588w.jpg

http://www.xmission.com/~dcc/bam08.jpg

Fazor
2008-Sep-26, 01:50 PM
Hey, I've talked about some of my creative interests before! I'm insulted that you don't read and memorize every single post on BAUT! (just kidding, of course).

I play guitar, but mostly existing songs so I don't know how "creative" that really is. I'm an animator--can do traditional but my real talent is computer animation. I like to write. And I like to cook.

Swift
2008-Sep-26, 01:52 PM
Photography, model railroading

I don't know if this is "creative" but I do a lot of volunteer work for our local park system - working in our nature center and leading hikes

Cougar
2008-Sep-26, 02:51 PM
I don't know if this is "creative" but I do a lot of volunteer work for our local park system - working in our nature center and leading hikes

With the evolution of art 'movements' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_art#2000s) up to the current day, I'd suggest that almost anything could be considered art.
(I guess that's what Warhol was saying.) Gardening can be very artistic....

Neverfly
2008-Sep-26, 02:55 PM
Cougar!

Wordsmith.. I LOVE IT!

Much better than "poet" or something...
Wordsmith....:think: I am gonna steal this...

Fazor
2008-Sep-26, 02:58 PM
Cougar!

Wordsmith.. I LOVE IT!

Much better than "poet" or something...
Wordsmith....:think: I am gonna steal this...

You've never heard that term Neveryfly? I was under the impression that you knew everything :)

Neverfly
2008-Sep-26, 03:00 PM
You've never heard that term Neveryfly? I was under the impression that you knew everything :)

I used to. Until I started posting here... and I learned how ignorant I am.

Nevery eh?

Doodler
2008-Sep-26, 03:24 PM
From 1999 to 2003, I built the core of a Neverwinter Nights online server that was expanded with the help of the people who played on it. People designed their own homes and custom content which I would then integrate into the overall server and send to our host.

Overall, though, the city exterior layout, the areas outside of the city, including various adventure areas for people who would come to the server, were all mine. We did pretty well, were one of the more popular servers on the Social tab for a while.

Once I jumped into MMORPGs, I got into interior design with various reward items and other collectables ingame, even managed to win an award for a ship interior I did.

I've been tooling around with the creator tools in Spore lately, while also trying to master the game itself.

trinitree88
2008-Sep-26, 03:49 PM
I paint,do some landscape architecture, play guitar, and do some graphic and 3D design. Love to sail.

Fazor
2008-Sep-26, 04:26 PM
I used to. Until I started posting here... and I learned how ignorant I am.

Nevery eh?

Uh... it's spanish. Never y Fly. Your both, a Never and a Fl--nevermind. I just can't type. :)

If it's any consolation, I always new how ignorant I was...just didn't know the full extent until I found this site. :)

eric_marsh
2008-Sep-26, 04:28 PM
I ride and occasionally race motorcycles.

I've got a turbo Hayabusa dragbike project I'm developing.

I've also got a shop I'm putting together complete with a car lift so that I can work on my V8 Fiero.

I have a blog at http://ericmarsh.info complete with travel podcast.

I've also got a blog and website for my race bike at http://ericmarsh.info/DragBikeSite/Welcome.html.

Now and then I pick up a camera and have a photo gallery at http://gallery.me.com/emarsh#gallery.

Now and then I go scuba diving.

Occasionally I write some code, usually in Java. Currently I'm reading a book about UML and looking into learning PHP to contribute to an open source project.

I mess with computer stuff - visit forums like this, use some of the GPS base apps on my iPhone and so forth. Here's a walk around my ranch: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=52705

We travel, though the cost of fuel has prevented us from taking our trailer out for about a year now.

I perform esoteric rituals intended to make the McCain candidacy turn into a complete disaster.

I think and play with ideas, such as the meme I'm trying to propagate to create an open source wind energy project. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9TrwwCR2P4 also http://www.thefutureofhumanity.com (I've got to develop more activity on that site)

Now and then I go out shooting at the gun range

I'm a member of the Dale TX Volunteer Fire Department and occasionally fight fires

I'm an EA Mason doing memory work for my next degree

I'm working on a project to get street racers to the drag strip.

OK, so I was just kidding about the esoteric rituals. Or was I? :whistle:

I'm interested in astronomy and science, but that mostly consists of some reading and listening to podcasts.

I have a home gym, walk daily and exercise less often

Don't know how much of this qualifies as creative and how much is just activities.

--------------

So why don't I see a lot of people talking about having star parties in this thread?

mike alexander
2008-Sep-26, 04:40 PM
I play with numbers. I enjoy finding a pile of numbers and looking for patterns in them.

I write essays and fiction. So far nobody wants to buy my fiction, though I've had a bit of luck with the essays.

I write a joke news column.

jja
2008-Sep-26, 05:19 PM
I write (and have been published twice (http://www.jja.org/done.html)), sculpt, draw, and maintain a webcomic (A Stray to Botaram (http://www.webcomicsnation.com/jja/botaram/series.php)). Occasionally a sonnet comes out:

That what goes up comes down again is known
(Save tons of vapor skimmed from Earth by space,
Each orbit leaving trails of atoms sown
In silent void). I would it were the case
That words when cast returned unto their place,
If sent by 'net or letter or by phone,
Accreting in a soft semantic haze,
Collecting 'til another drop flys down.

If they instead a frigid ellipse trace,
It's fitting still to join what we have thrown
From deep gravitic bowl at fierce pace
To pass each planet and each icy stone
With plate inscribed to indicate our race --
One quiet emissary, stellar prone.

-- JJA

Neverfly
2008-Sep-26, 05:24 PM
Uh... it's spanish.

I'm Spanish Fly?

Fazor
2008-Sep-26, 05:37 PM
I'm Spanish Fly?

Well, some of your posts do put me to sleep.

:lol: Just kidding, but couldn't pass up an opener like that. ;)

WaxRubiks
2008-Sep-26, 05:44 PM
I sometimes do some drawing, I've been getting better at photo manipulation, and for a few weeks have been entering Fark photoshop competitions. Here's one I did today.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9440/rippunzel2ht3.jpg

I had a cartoon published in a local paper, and have had cartoons printed in newsletters and parish papers, and on a fairly popular blog.

I play the piano a bit; but have a dodgy right elbow which can make it difficult, and I used to play the violin a bit; plus squeeze box, and guitar a bit.

Occasionally I write a poem, have written a few short stories.

here is a dragon I drew a week or so ago, with a bit of paint.net work
http://th77.deviantart.com/fs36/300W/f/2008/259/0/2/Sweet_Fire_Dragon_by_Petalspice.jpg

Lianachan
2008-Sep-26, 06:22 PM
I take photographs of archaeological sites and landscapes, and have had some published in books and displayed in museums. I also play several musical instruments, although neither particularly well nor particularly often, and write historical fact and fiction.

Tog
2008-Sep-26, 06:43 PM
I mainly write. I'm using a fan fic site for City of Heroes to get feedback on my stories and learn what I can and can't do. Sometime next summer I'm going to start submitting mysteries to the Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and see if it turns into anything.

I sort of count some of the spreadsheets I've done for work to be a creative outlet for me.

I'm not sure if it counts as creative, but I started working on my own martial art form that stole a lot of stuff from Aikido, Kenpo, and Wing Chun, with a few other bits taken from some of the others I've played around with.

Jay200MPH
2008-Sep-26, 06:47 PM
I used to write electronic music (mostly acid, trance, goa, other styles too) but I've let that lapse for a few years. Been trying to get back into it for ages but I can never seem to find it in me to sit down and finish a piece; all my perserverence is gone. That's a bit annoying. Maybe I'll try and come up with a little demo this weekend.

When I was a kid I used to doodle prolificly but I've also let that lapse. Wish I'd kept it up, I'd probably be pretty good by now. Same as with my music, I keep trying to start again but it never seems to go anywhere.

I mostly excercise my creativity these days through cooking. I love trying out new techniques & inventing dishes, and I almost never make a meal the same way twice. This one I practice nightly so I keep my skills up. :D

- J

Swift
2008-Sep-26, 07:37 PM
Speaking of photography, here (http://picasaweb.google.com/jwfoise/Italy2008#) is a link to a picasas album with my pictures from my trip to Italy in May

closetgeek
2008-Sep-26, 09:54 PM
I like using my little camcorder to record peculiarities, when I am quick enough to capture them. Although lately, I have grown a little more reclusive. I would love to say I write poetry but I have only written two in the past 6 yrs and as simple as they sound, to me, I still manipulate them, here and there. Mostly, I keep a cheesy little myspace blog where I practice hyperbolic (is that even a word) descriptions of little things I come across on a daily basis. Sometimes they respond and it's gratifying when I can get my image across to a distant audience.
I just finished reading Wuthering Heights, again, and now I want to venture off into writing actual novels but I have no idea how to start and any attempt I have made in the past never makes it very far. I think my style of writing insists on remaining at a personal journal type.

Fazor
2008-Sep-26, 10:01 PM
I'd love to write a novel. I have a new new novel I started penning an outline too. Most don't make it past that stage. If they do, they make it about 10 pages then die. I have a hard time with voice, perspective, and keeping it consistent.

Anyway, I've been learning a new song, so I thought this would be a decent thread to post my results thus far. I was too lazy to get out my good recording equipment, so it's not the best quality. Also still perfecting the solo. But I think it's coming along nicely.

(Fazor's) Alice in Chains-Nutshell.mp3 (http://www.greenapple.com/~gibson/baut/Nutshell_Cover.mp3)

LaurelHS
2008-Sep-26, 10:03 PM
I write poetry and some fiction and keep a journal. But I'm usually too shy to show anyone what I write. :shhh:

BTW Cougar, I really like the bamboo painting.

closetgeek
2008-Sep-26, 10:11 PM
I'd love to write a novel. I have a new new novel I started penning an outline too. Most don't make it past that stage. If they do, they make it about 10 pages then die. I have a hard time with voice, perspective, and keeping it consistent.

Anyway, I've been learning a new song, so I thought this would be a decent thread to post my results thus far. I was too lazy to get out my good recording equipment, so it's not the best quality. Also still perfecting the solo. But I think it's coming along nicely.

(Fazor's) Alice in Chains-Nutshell.mp3 (http://www.greenapple.com/~gibson/baut/Nutshell_Cover.mp3)

That you singing as well? :clap:

Fazor
2008-Sep-26, 10:18 PM
yeah. not real happy with the vocals in it, but then again I'm rarely happy with my vocals.

bunker9603
2008-Sep-26, 10:36 PM
I collect coins and baseball cards. I also enjoy history, photography and fishing. My teenage son and I also enjoy model rocketry. I have a daughter that was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes when she was two (she is 7 now) and my wife and I do charity walks for the JDRF.

Drunk Vegan
2008-Sep-26, 10:40 PM

Yeah, it's hard to complete a novel, especially the first one.

I'm currently about halfway finished with a science fiction novel. I wrote the pages (about 150-200 book sized pages) in a little under 4 months. But haven't wrote anything for it in about 6 months because I got to a point in the plot line where I knew absolutely nothing about the subject matter and couldn't confidently write it.

I'm going to have to do a lot of research before I'll be able to pick it up again and get through those chapters in order to write the conclusion, which I do know a great deal about and should flow easily.

Basically the key to writing is just, as I once read in a "How to Write Science Fiction" book, to write.

Every day, for every reason you can imagine. And once you start a project don't worry about getting it right. Just worry about getting it on the page. Start writing and don't stop until your hands are too sore to continue.

That's how I completed the first half of the book - hours at a time spent sitting in coffee shops doing nothing but letting my hand move across the page converting my thought directly into word without censoring it first.

When I went back and edited the first half there was a lot I ended up adding, but almost nothing conceptually that needed to be changed from just quickly letting the ideas flow out.

As far as voice, perspective, and consistent details I have issues with those too, but I generally just let them happen as I go and then when I've finished say 5 chapters or so I'll go back and edit those so that they are all good enough for a first draft. Then write 5 more and repeat.

It also helps to have friends who are proofreaders/editors. I've had no less than 3 people look at the first half of my book to help edit. There are just too many brainfarts that are made while writing that I, personally, am not able to see because my brain knows what it meant and automatically corrects it while I reread it. So I'm essentially blind to my own errors.

Lianachan
2008-Sep-26, 11:12 PM
I've stuck half a dozen or so photographs into an album on my profile, if anybody is interested.

closetgeek
2008-Sep-27, 12:37 AM
I've stuck half a dozen or so photographs into an album on my profile, if anybody is interested.

Wow, those are beautiful!

Lianachan
2008-Sep-27, 12:45 AM
Wow, those are beautiful!

Thanks!

toothdust
2008-Sep-27, 12:49 AM
I am a dabbler in many different things. Guitar, digereedoo, African Djembe drumming, flute. Paint and draw (I would call myself a psychedelic sci-fi artist), write, and garden as well.

I also love cooking, and I collect rocks and traditional shamanic plants. :)

Cougar
2008-Sep-27, 01:13 AM
...now I want to venture off into writing actual novels but I have no idea how to start and any attempt I have made in the past never makes it very far. I think my style of writing insists on remaining at a personal journal type.

Astrophysicist Janna Levin's two books (http://www.jannalevin.com/books.html) demonstrate that you can do it any way that you want.

Whirlpool
2008-Sep-27, 01:27 AM
Creative Stuff...:think:

A decade ago , I used to travel around and collect pictures using my good'ol analog camera. But when my son came I shifted , I start taking pictures of him . :D
I still though collect pictures everytime I go out of town . Latest was last year ,one of those I have placed in my albums.

;)

closetgeek
2008-Sep-27, 01:32 AM
I see we have a lot of poets. Members are sharing all these pictures and music, why not share a poem or two?

Neverfly
2008-Sep-27, 01:38 AM
I'm not a poet. I'm a wordsmith.:neutral:

closetgeek
2008-Sep-27, 01:39 AM
Then craft us a collection of words

Neverfly
2008-Sep-27, 01:49 AM
Then craft us a collection of words

I already learned my lesson about posting what I write in public view...:doh:

closetgeek
2008-Sep-27, 01:57 AM
Now that's not fair, not all of us have a clue what you are talking about. Details...

Neverfly
2008-Sep-27, 02:10 AM
Now that's not fair, not all of us have a clue what you are talking about. Details...

Oh ok. I'm sorry. Let me clarify...

Well, you see, some of my writings that I've posted in public forums etc have resulted in consequences or otherwise had certain somethings happen that led to certain other somethings which caused awkward moments.

Gigabyte
2008-Sep-27, 03:11 AM
I hear ya, I hear ya.

Fazor
2008-Sep-27, 03:25 AM

I thought neverfly was famous for his posting consequences? Isnt' that one of his trademarks?

To be fair though, I've never been in any threads where NF's gotten himself into any trouble. This could all just be an elaborate ruse to fool me into thinking he can be a bad guy sometimes. Personally I like his posts.

WaxRubiks
2008-Sep-27, 03:28 AM
didn't Neverfly's "Ode to a Tulip" make Big Don cry?...

Neverfly
2008-Sep-27, 03:37 AM
I thought neverfly was famous for his posting consequences? Isnt' that one of his trademarks?

To be fair though, I've never been in any threads where NF's gotten himself into any trouble.

No regrets. It has helped me to try being a little bit more self aware.

Sometimes it's simple foot in mouth. Others it's when I let my attitude decide my responses.
I'm actually not ashamed of my attitude. But I have had to recognize that it's not always applicable to every situation.

So yeah, I can be a bit troublesome and spam the board...

I tend to come off as rude at times when I didn't mean to and others my jokes are entirely misinterpreted...

The posting of Personal Writings has just caused an issue with me because - well... It's Personal:neutral:

You may notice (This thread is a good example) that in threads like this or threads asking about hobbies or threads asking a favorite scientist- It's very Rare that I make a serious post or answer to them.
I don't mind talking about my experiences, who I know, what's going on in my life, how all this affects my ideas or what I have to say.
But the stuff inside- the inner me- that makes me ME I tend to be protective about and leave it shrouded.

Ok, to sum all that up into a more concise explanation: I am Crazy.

Neverfly
2008-Sep-27, 03:38 AM
didn't Neverfly's "Ode to a Tulip" make Big Don cry?...

Chrysanthemum.
Which is very hard to rhyme by the way.

Whirlpool
2008-Sep-27, 03:42 AM
I remember one of Neverfly's impromptu with Bogie in this Thread (http://www.bautforum.com/against-mainstream/68852-speculation-something-preceded-expansion-2.html)

Neverfly
2008-Sep-27, 03:46 AM
I remember one of Neverfly's impromptu with Bogie in this Thread (http://www.bautforum.com/against-mainstream/68852-speculation-something-preceded-expansion-2.html)

What the hey? My shredder pic got forbidded...http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/45.gif

Somebody hardboiled my artisnip!!

closetgeek
2008-Sep-27, 04:32 AM

As a loon but we luv ya anyway

Ozzy
2008-Sep-27, 06:37 AM
I like writing songs and music. I sing, play guitar and am a closet drummer.

Maybe the mystery
Is there's no mystery at all
how it is, is how it is
And you can
Both be large and small

Cloud charades through palm fringed skies
To the chorus of the sea
I revolve around the stars,
And they can
All spin 'round me.

:)

geonuc
2008-Sep-27, 11:44 AM
I don't think I could create my way out of a paper bag. But I have produced some nice, functional woodworking and cabinetry stuff.

And I'm not too bad with a camera.

KaiYeves
2008-Sep-27, 01:43 PM
Weird LHC-inspired poem:

World Without End
Deeper than atoms, protons and quarks
We press on still further, ignoring remarks
Within lead, people, bubbles and string
We look at what makes up everything
Each gain brings such rejoicing, though-
We realize how little we truly know
As if on shore with rocks and sand
We try to make a bit more land
Reclaimed from an unending sea
That surrounds and utterly dwarfs we
And yet this truest mystery
Shines with calling, bright beauty
So, thus matter we rend
Deeper and deeper
World without end.
Unlike others who dread and fear
For knowledge, we sing and cheer
Bask in the warmth of our dear Sun
Full of joy, we all should run
Knowing every molecule of air you swallow
And that knowing still more brings a brighter tomorrow
And today could hardly be dreamed of in past days of yore
And in this knowledge, take off and soar!
We fear not superstition, so fly on, my friends
Higher and higher,
World without end.

pilgrim
2008-Sep-27, 04:08 PM
Hehe, posting work in progress is up there with posting whilst inebriated, Neverfly.

I am a lot less creative then I used to be as a kid or a teen, but here goes. I used to play guitar and am still able to pick it up (alas, the consequences...) when the need be. Also, I occasionally write poems or songs (not nearly as much as I used to, though). A few months ago I tried to write a script, but my attention span failed me, so now I've kind of recycled the story-line as a manga, which I began to draw, until my attention span or lack thereoff made me put that on hold, too, although this will be resumed again once I take a break from watching Bleach anime. Other than that, nowadays I mostly draw when I feel like being creative, mostly manga style but not exclusively.

Neverfly
2008-Sep-27, 08:20 PM
Hehe, posting work in progress is up there with posting whilst inebriated, Neverfly.

It wasn't my fault.
Stupid web site forbidded me shredder.

Actually, I don't drink, so I don't need to worry about posting altered due to chemical causes.
Not foreign ones anyway...

Alright fine.

Fine Woodworking, furniture building, clock making, playing guitar (I suck), painting (oil or acrylic on canvas, cloth or p.b.), pastel, watercolor, chalk, pencil, ink, charcoal, writing, wordsmithing, lyrics, portraits, animal and landscape on canvas (think William Alexander), mechanical illustration and drafting, sheetmetal- metal smithy- wrought iron, tinkering and mechanical upgrading (boring out cylinders - supe up etc), and a very very long list of inventions and contraptions (including a 'Governator" on my old truck carburetor that can be operated from the drivers seat) that earned me the nickname "McGyver."

Hobbies include astronomy (NO! Really?!), ho model railroading, salt water fish tanks, lizards, model making and crafting (Often from wood), model building (from kits) and built at home electronics(HOBBY remember? Lame stuff like amps and 70's 80's era components. Like back in the day when you could not only see a resistor but pick it up as well.)

ETA: I think I included everything- I may add more later<shrug>

Whirlpool
2008-Sep-28, 07:24 AM
Wow, thats A LOT of creative stuff that you do there , Mr. McGyver.

;)

Neverfly
2008-Sep-28, 08:41 AM
Wow, thats A LOT of creative stuff that you do there , Mr. McGyver.

;)

Well, you know... I gotta make up for the fact that I cannot bear children...

Tensor
2008-Sep-28, 01:55 PM
I'm heavily involved in live theatre. I've acted, worked backstage, and done set design and construction. Last year, I was in a show, and doing he set for another at a different theatre. Decided that was a bit much (since I also have a full-time job).
I also do a lot of riding on my motorcycle. My wife and I tend to take weekend trips or longer when we can. But, it is also my main vehicle. Rain, sun wind, doesn't matter, I'm on that bike almost every day. We're planning on going to Sturgis next year. And no, not hauling the bike, but actually riding it from Florida to South Dakota and back. When not taking those trips, my wife and I tend to work on charity events involving motorcycles.

tdvance
2008-Sep-29, 03:52 PM
I write bad music (and no you may not see/hear it :) ). I write lame SF short stories (some I have shown to others because they're only moderately bad, like my one where a guy gets into an infinite time loop lasting a day, but unlike Groundhog Day, his memory gets reset too and he entered the loop on purpose, the reason being a key part of the story). I play saxophone, and some creative interpretation is needed for some music. I write code at work as well as solve math problems, some creativity needed (I'm good at rediscovering formulas known by others but not published once they were found to not be too useful--not so much reinventing the wheel as rediscovering the flat earth theory).

farmerjumperdon
2008-Sep-29, 05:30 PM
I build things out of wood. An old barn came with our property. I have salvaged a treasure trove of distressed oak and cedar from it and have used it to:

<> Frame a poolhouse, including using the biggest timbers around the doors and windows.
<> Did our dining room, living room, and library floors; as well as entryway floors and walls.
<> Did floor to ceiling shleves and built-in computer desk in library.
<> Several nice little tables, toy shelves, and other similar stuff; including a really neat boattail table for the porch.
<> Several timbers form the joists of a big camp-style screenhouse.
<> Neat little oak "strongboxes" for the kids.
<> The main interior staircase in our house.
<> The lateral rails for 450' of picket fence.
<> Built in spice rack, stove guard, microwave shelf, etc in kitchen.
<> Refurbished an old Hoosier inherited from Grandma.
<> 2-story playhouse for kids.

All of the stuff is quite utilitarian as I'm a firm believer in form following function; but I do still get creative in how the the finished work expresses it's function. The biggest challenge working with the stuff is that the oak is 70 to 100 years old, an inch thick, and rock hard. Absolutely everything must be precisely pre-drilled.

toothdust
2008-Sep-30, 05:59 AM

I think I might file this away as evidence for future.....well anything invovling Neverfly:lol:

Neverfly
2008-Sep-30, 06:13 AM
I think I might file this away as evidence for future.....well anything invovling Neverfly:lol:

You wouldn't be the only one...

Spacewriter
2008-Oct-02, 12:36 AM
Since I wrote science for a living, I like to write fiction (SF, etc.) for fun...

Salty
2008-Oct-03, 04:23 AM
Hi, All -

I'm into composing and writing music, from time to time; still in naked eye and binocular amatuer astronomy; I read and write and can also claim to be a wordsmith (used that, thanks); I sing; I love to make up jokes and remember my favorite comedians' jokes; I like making up bumper stickers but have never had any printed up for sale; I like doing yardwork.

That's about it, except for enjoying telephone conversations with family and friends. It seems person to person talking is becoming an art.

Neverfly
2008-Oct-03, 04:30 AM
I like doing yardwork.

If ever you're in the Austin area, I have some extremely entertaining work you might enjoy...:whistle:

Salty
2008-Oct-03, 05:27 AM
If ever you're in the Austin area, I have some extremely entertaining work you might enjoy...:whistle:

Well, I should have added "...when I get around to it.":shifty:

And doing your yardwork would definitely wait until I get mine done.:lol:

captain swoop
2008-Oct-03, 08:44 AM
I make model vehicles, and I am building a model railway set in West Yorkshire. I also play with the real thing HERE (http://www.nymr.co.uk/)

I do some work in a local community Recording Studio, (I worked in the industry for years)

The rest ofd the time I spend on my Motorbike or drinking beer

Oops forgot shooting. Mainly Rabbits and wood pigeon these days, I used to do a lot of target shooting.

tdvance
2008-Oct-03, 06:23 PM

If you pay me, I'll let you mow my lawn!

jokergirl
2008-Oct-03, 08:34 PM
Hm yeah. I draw/write comics, paint, did nanowrimo last year, take photos, cook and blog about lunchboxes (http://wererabbits.wordpress.com/).

We have quite a lot of creative folk around here!

;)

KaiYeves
2008-Oct-03, 09:10 PM
And I scrapbook about SpaceShipTwo, as most people here already know.

Whirlpool
2008-Oct-04, 03:37 AM
One creative stuff I do is Crosstitching .

:p

captain swoop
2008-Oct-04, 10:11 AM
wouldn't you be able to do it better if you were in a good mood?

darkhunter
2008-Oct-04, 02:04 PM
I draw, do some photo/scanned drawing maniplulation, play guitar (not so well :) ), and some writing (poetry and stories). All when I can find the time and insiration...

I've also done custom paint jobs on two of the vehicles I've had, and am preparing to do the bodywork and paint on my wife's project car...

Gigabyte
2008-Oct-04, 02:15 PM
I create comix. And blogs. And play guitar. Write. Among other things.

Gigabyte
2008-Oct-04, 02:16 PM
Not that I am happy about it or anything.

marsbug
2008-Oct-04, 02:25 PM
I paint, draw, and have been known to write some short stories for my own pleasure. I do some martial arts, although i'm a bit of a mayfly with it, I can never seem to settle on any one style, and I'm currently working on my programming skills by making a simulator for missions to the outer solar system.

I also collect articles and papers, although thats not so much a scrapbook these day's as a collection of transparent plastic wallets and big bite out of my computers memory!

And for a penny I will talk about myself and my obsessions until peoples ears fall off! For half apenny I'll sleep in until noon...

Abbadon_2008
2008-Oct-04, 04:04 PM
For a number of years, I was a writer. I wrote SF and crime dramas. But in recent years, life is too stressful and hectic to permit that sort of time and energy.

Whirlpool
2008-Oct-06, 03:27 PM
wouldn't you be able to do it better if you were in a good mood?

Yes , I do it better and faster when I am in a good mood.

tlbs101
2008-Oct-06, 06:10 PM
How did I miss this thread, last week????

Like some others mentioned, I have a home recording studio and I have produced a few songs using Midi and live instruments, for vocal accompaniment.

I paint. I have done 9 Bob-Ross-style oils and 4 non-Ross (on my own) oils.

I play in a jazz big band (trombone), and an becoming a little bit better at improvisation (that's the creative part).

I just finished some internal pull-out shelves (woodworking) for our kitchen cabinets -- without plans; just a simple sketch. I suppose that's creative.

Neverfly
2008-Oct-06, 06:44 PM
"Yes, Happy little trees. make a happy little tree right there...
<beats the brush against the easel.>
Heh Heh heh"

Fazor
2008-Oct-06, 07:43 PM
I like the Family Guy parody.

"Lets put a tree in there. It'll be our little secret. Our secret tree. And so help me god if you tell anyone that tree is there, I'LL KILL YOU!! .... and how about a happy little cloud up here?"

or something along those lines. :)

captain swoop
2008-Oct-06, 09:13 PM
Yes , I do it better and faster when I am in a good mood.

so then it's not cross stitching. :)

Frantic Freddie
2008-Oct-07, 12:21 AM
I've mentioned it before here,I've played drums for almost 40 years,did it for a living 'til about 15 years ago,now I'm just a weekend warrior.I know how to trick drums out to get 'em soundin' their best,I've done that for a lot of people.

I've decided to refinish one of my sets,a '68 Ludwig,normally I wouldn't do that,but this is the set I've owned the longest & I've already screwed up any vintage value it had by coverin' up the original blue sparkle.Fairly major project that'll mean takin' off the original plastic wrap & replacin' it with a new wrap (the new finishes are really quite a bit prettier than the old ones).

I also like to cook,my specialty bein' New Mexican food.

Buildin' things like a shed this last summer,finishin' 2 retaining walls,one wood & the other rock.

It's funny when we have guests over & they compliment my wife on how she decorated the house,she says "Most of it's Freddie's ideas" :lol:

KaiYeves
2008-Oct-07, 01:28 AM
I tried uploading some of my pictures from my computer, but it didn't work.

closetgeek
2008-Oct-07, 12:03 PM
"Yes, Happy little trees. make a happy little tree right there...
<beats the brush against the easel.>
Heh Heh heh"

How many times does he stick a "happy little tree somewhere" and you swear he just ruined the painting? Then a few swipes and it blends in perfectly!

Neverfly
2008-Oct-07, 01:01 PM
How many times does he stick a "happy little tree somewhere" and you swear he just ruined the painting?

WOW!
I thought I was the only one who thought that.

I never really watched Bob Ross aside from pure entertainment value.
But those times I did, I think I never laughed so hard at such serene silence...

closetgeek
2008-Oct-07, 03:11 PM
WOW!
I thought I was the only one who thought that.

I never really watched Bob Ross aside from pure entertainment value.
But those times I did, I think I never laughed so hard at such serene silence...

I have never said, "Ooh Bob Ross is on! If I am channel surfing and pass over him, I feel compelled to stop and stare."

Neverfly
2008-Oct-07, 04:34 PM
I have never said, "Ooh Bob Ross is on! If I am channel surfing and pass over him, I feel compelled to stop and stare."

I don't think anyone ever does... I was just clarifying myself- just in case people got funny ideas.

closetgeek
2008-Oct-08, 11:58 AM
I don't think anyone ever does... I was just clarifying myself- just in case people got funny ideas.

Rest assured, it's not the idea of you watching Bob Ross that gives people funny ideas:whistle:

Neverfly
2008-Oct-08, 05:12 PM
Rest assured, it's not the idea of you watching Bob Ross that gives people funny ideas:whistle:
Some things... are best left without clarification...

Gemini
2008-Oct-08, 10:19 PM
This is a picture I drew of the Ares V carrying the Enterprise shuttle from To the Moon, Mars, and Beyond hat I wrote a while back.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/OV-104/EA5.png

Whirlpool
2008-Oct-09, 04:44 AM
Nice sketch work Gemini , although I need to look at it bending my head sideways to see it.

:p

KaiYeves
2008-Oct-09, 01:41 PM
Well done, Gemini! I've been trying to draw Ares Vs for a while, but I can never get in exactly right.

KaiYeves
2008-Oct-20, 01:09 AM
I recently wrote this poem:

Halloween At Space Camp

Who ate my Dippin’ Dots in the cafeteria?
There were there one moment and gone the next.
It’s Halloween at Space Camp.

Did you see the light in Shuttle Park?
It hovered and vanished behind Pathfinder.

Why is Space Shot running after closing time?
With nobody on it and no attendants?

Where did that guy in the blue flightsuit go?
He was checking out the simulator and then he vanished.

Who was Dr. Von T talking to in the Davidson Center?
There was nobody else under the Saturn.

How did this note and model get on my bunk?
“Don’t hang up your dancing slippers.”

Gemini
2008-Oct-22, 11:50 AM
I play trombone in my school's band (both marching and symphonic).
Here's a video of the halftime show this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLhJ2b01weg

Abbadon_2008
2008-Oct-22, 03:09 PM
I've recently discovered the wonderful world of 3d CGI art with Bryce.
I've been busily tinkering with landscapes and textures, shapes and materials galore.

Maybe I'll post some of my scribblings.:whistle:

Gigabyte
2008-Oct-22, 04:33 PM
Love the Bryce.

Roving Philosopher
2008-Oct-22, 09:01 PM
I play a couple instruments (not well, though usually you can tell what song I'm butchering), and like to bake. I'm also learning how to decorate cakes.

Rastermon2
2008-Oct-22, 09:35 PM
I am a graphic designer with interests in science. I draw, paint and create computer graphics. 3D renders and art can be seen on my blog, amid my other thoughts.
http://rastermon.livejournal.com
and on my website
http://www.rastermon.com

KaiYeves
2008-Oct-24, 01:53 AM
Pretty...

Whirlpool
2008-Oct-24, 04:52 AM
Nice....

Neverfly
2008-Oct-24, 08:34 AM
I am a graphic designer with interests in science. I draw, paint and create computer graphics. 3D renders and art can be seen on my blog, amid my other thoughts.
http://rastermon.livejournal.com
and on my website
http://www.rastermon.com

I wouldn't want to be the mouse looking for cheese in that attachment...

mugaliens
2008-Oct-24, 11:45 AM
I tie flies...

...for fly fishing.

Whew! I was about to call PETA! er... those aren't real flies, are they?

on another note...

Photography. I recently took approxiately 300 pictures during a 1.5 hour tour of Heidelberg Castle.

I love the digital age...