PDA

View Full Version : Black Holes and Sun masses?

cj341
2008-Sep-28, 01:11 PM
I want to do a science fair project on black holes. I have formulas to find the radius of the event horizon, the temp., the mass of the radiation, the luminosity, its loss of mass, and the final lifetime of it. But I want to know:

1: How do you find the mass of the black hole?
2a: Which types of stars collapse into black holes?
b: Is there a formula to figure out which stars will collapse into a black hole?
3: Also any other info that could help, and generally with science fair.

FYI, I am a highschool sophomore so you don't need to dumb it down, and the competition is called "ISEF". Thank-you.

StupendousMan
2008-Sep-28, 03:06 PM
I want to do a science fair project on black holes. I have formulas to find the radius of the event horizon, the temp., the mass of the radiation, the luminosity, its loss of mass, and the final lifetime of it. But I want to know:

1: How do you find the mass of the black hole?
2a: Which types of stars collapse into black holes?
b: Is there a formula to figure out which stars will collapse into a black hole?
3: Also any other info that could help, and generally with science fair.

FYI, I am a highschool sophomore so you don't need to dumb it down, and the competition is called "ISEF". Thank-you.

You can find the answers to these questions in any good introductory college-level textbook, and on any one of a number of web sites. Perhaps you should read one or two first, then come back and post more specific questions then.

Good luck.