PDA

View Full Version : Oh..fun...Life in the Big City again.

Staiduk
2008-Oct-05, 08:19 AM
OK, anyone who knows me knows I can get along pretty well in any environment; high-scale, low-scale, urban, country, whatever.

I grew up in the projects though; so really I'm a Big City boy.

I recently moved back to the City - in this case, Edmonton - which as cities go is a real whopper - after two years in the rural boonies of northern Alberta and overall, I'm happy to be back.

Still, there are times...like tonight... (sigh)

The street I live on is short; comprising exactly six apartment buildings. So far, in the month I've been here I've counted four brothels, two crack houses (the third being raided and closed down in my own building the day I moved in) and one 'business' whose trade I haven't been able to determine yet.

So far, I've observed three assaults, been the target of one (very short lived) attempted robbery (the would-be robbers learning the lesson very quickly: if you're going to rob someone; don't try it on a 6'4", 210lb. veteran soldier with a knife, twenty five years of fighting experience, 10 years teaching restraint and control techniques to police, and a real bad attitude.)

Tonight - from an entertainment point of view - has been particularly interesting. Lesse: It's two in the morning. So far; there've been three screaming drunk couples trying to beat each other up (one using a bicycle...it was a rather odd dance); two hookers being chased down the street by what I can only assume were a couple of older rather spirited Neighborhood Watch biddies; and the grow op across the street is apparently no longer an issue, since it's in the process of burning down.

Three fire engines are on it - judging from observation no-one appears to be hurt; which is a good thing but just to be on the safe side; I'm staying upwind of the smoke - marijuana is high (rimshot) on the list of Things I Really Hate.

Sigh - I love the city; but I'm starting to think suburbia is looking better all the time...

I'll keep you posted on the imprompteu bonfire.

(walks away shaking head and muttering)

Staiduk
2008-Oct-05, 10:14 AM
Whoops - add a fight to the list. Apparently some big red trucks, a bunch of firefighters and a couple police cruisers weren't enough to deter our three young heroes from performing their own amateur (in more ways than one) rendition of Fight Club.

I swear - the biggest health hazard around here is clearly testosterone poisoning.
:rolleyes: :naughty:

Neverfly
2008-Oct-05, 01:07 PM
I swear - the biggest health hazard around here is clearly testosterone poisoning.
:rolleyes: :naughty:

Testosterone?!

You clearly have never seen women fight if you think that is true....

Staiduk
2008-Oct-05, 07:33 PM
Testosterone?!

You clearly have never seen women fight if you think that is true....

Not sure what you mean by that, Neverfly.

Oh; you're quite right - women can be far worse than men. Young men are actually kinda funny when they fight - they've generally got no clue at all; and they have some weird inbuilt set of 'rules' (not rules as such; but behaviours that can be interpreted as rules) making them pretty predictable. Women on the other hand just go wildcat. Trust me - I'd rather deal with a drunk 160-lb 19-year-old boy than a screaming, spitting, scratching, shrieking 90-lb harpy any day of the week - and I've dealt with a lot of both varieties.

Your comment just seems to come out of left field; leaving me scratching my head a bit. I was talking about a few observances from this place, not violent tendancies between genders in general.

chrissy
2008-Oct-05, 08:14 PM
Staiduk, is there no other place you can move to? Or did you have to move into that place, because of your job?
I don't tend to scream, spit or scratch I think an uppercut from either the left or right hand usually sorts them out (I did that to an ex b/f who kept harrassing me and wouldn't take "go away and leave me alone") and I have never had to fall back on any of my martial arts for that matter.
Where I live it is a big town and nothing much happens here, we all get excited if a police helicopter is hovering around! :D
Man you have it bad.

Neverfly
2008-Oct-05, 09:16 PM
Not sure what you mean by that, Neverfly.

Your comment just seems to come out of left field; leaving me scratching my head a bit. I was talking about a few observances from this place, not violent tendancies between genders in general.

Sorry about that.;)

Just that some 'typical' stereotypes tend to get a response from me fairly quickly.
Many studies show that mostly, women are just as prone to physical violence as men are. Women are, however, more likely to hold back for reasons men wouldn't think of right off the bat.
For example, they don't want to make a mess.

So whenever two people fight and someone blames testosterone- it gets under my skin. I am not going to make any claims about estrogen- but let's just say that it does cause interesting emotional behaviors.

BigDon
2008-Oct-05, 09:39 PM
Hi Staiduk,

Have you tried for a conceal and carry? If you train police you shouldn't have too much trouble getting one.

Neverfly
2008-Oct-05, 11:06 PM
Hi Staiduk,

Have you tried for a conceal and carry? If you train police you shouldn't have too much trouble getting one.

Yeah, that sounds a lot like an old neighborhood I used to live in. It didn't help much that I was the ONLY white guy living there.
Sometimes, those hoods are not so much dangerous as they are extremely annoying.

redshifter
2008-Oct-05, 11:18 PM
I had no idea Edmonton was so rough.

Staiduk
2008-Oct-05, 11:37 PM
Hi Staiduk,

Well; even ignoring the fact they're illegal in Canada, I've got a real aversion to sidearms. People find this strange; since I carried one as backup for years. It's because I carried one I hate the idea of them on the street. This is personal preference; the gun argument has been around for a long time because both sides have good merit. Personal preference. I prefer avoidance, deescalation and control.
That said; every encounter - barring combat - I've been in has been a situation where a handgun would have been useless. Clinch range puts a gun weilder at a terrible disadvantage and that's where almost all of my work is done; which is why I prefer empty-hand defense; or a knife if I'm left with no choice.

I had no idea Edmonton was so rough. - redshifter
Any city is; Redshifter. It all depends where in the city you are. Besides - this area sounds rough; reading it on the page. By the standards of some environments it is...by others it's as violent as a pillowfight and it's those environments where I developed most of my living experience. It's actually a nice area; it just happens to have a lot of nightly activity. Mostly young drunk idiots who are easy to deal with - and give me a very wide berth...the attack I dealt with didn't happen here. I was exploring Edmonton and wandered into one of the genuinely rough areas; examining its boundaries and makeup. Those two were amateurs; without the experience to know when the fish they were chasing was a shark. The ones that are experienced enough to pose a serious threat have no reason to risk an attack; so we get along fine.
The illicit houses here generally keep to themselves so the only real problem is the young drunk idiots who - if nothing else - provide entertainment by way of demonstrating Darwin in action.

And for the record - most people not directly connected with them look down on the projects and the ghettoes and low-rent areas to which new immigrants gravitate but I'll tell you one thing: you'll never eat better than living in the projects. I've so far made friends with a lovely Indian couple who make an incredible naan and a saag gosht that's out of this world. There's a great Ethiopian family down the hall as well; they're coming over for dinner next weekend and bringing some of their own food with them to share. In my opinion (and strictly my opinion), the projects are where true multiculturalism happens. :D

Cheers!

Staiduk
2008-Oct-05, 11:50 PM
Staiduk, is there no other place you can move to? Or did you have to move into that place, because of your job?
I don't tend to scream, spit or scratch I think an uppercut from either the left or right hand usually sorts them out (I did that to an ex b/f who kept harrassing me and wouldn't take "go away and leave me alone") and I have never had to fall back on any of my martial arts for that matter.
Where I live it is a big town and nothing much happens here, we all get excited if a police helicopter is hovering around! :D
Man you have it bad.

Lol - OK, I could have worded that better. Some women go wildcat; and believe me, that's no disparagement. In many cases; it's the most effective defense there is and it is very effective. Evolution gives us tools that work after all; and that's one that's been around as long as we've been human.
Good job on dealing with the guy, BTW - people who think 'no' really means 'yes please' really get on my nerves. :D

BigDon
2008-Oct-06, 12:18 PM
I'm staying upwind of the smoke - marijuana is high (rimshot) on the list of Things I Really Hate.

Sigh - I love the city; but I'm starting to think suburbia is looking better all the time...

I'll keep you posted on the imprompteu bonfire.

(walks away shaking head and muttering)

Isn't that a lot like hating Girl Scouts because you don't like the military? Myself, I hate cocaine and meth with a passion. But we live in different parts of the planet so maybe its different where you're at. (And I so totally avoid the heroin crowd its a non-issue with me.)

Donnie B.
2008-Oct-06, 02:28 PM
*Sigh* I'll obviously never be a great novelist. My life experience includes virtually none of the sorts of things you folks are describing. Anybody want to read a thrilling story of a nerdy suburban kid who never gets into scrapes?

I do, however, have some experience with Ethiopian cooking. You're in for a treat.

Fazor
2008-Oct-06, 02:53 PM
I'll tell you, I miss "life in the big city". Lived in Pittsburgh for a year. Though was in a decent area (A block away from PNC Park). There were some interesting moments, to be sure ... I grew up out in the "country"--not as country as a lot, no cows to milk etc--but by no means a city environment or even suburb.

But I liked the city. I liked having something to do, even if it was 3am on a tuesday. I loved the skyline from my apartment that overlooked the city. I loved the street vendors (some of the best food in the world, regardless of health code ;)).

chrissy
2008-Oct-06, 09:34 PM
Good job on dealing with the guy, BTW - people who think 'no' really means 'yes please' really get on my nerves.
It was so funny because he was showing off infront of his mates, I was in a bar with my friend having a quite drink and he kept walking up to me and grabbing me, I warned him 3 times, he just kept coming back for more thinking I wouldn't follow through what I had promised him, he flew across the floor spilling his drink over himself but insisted in holding the glass when he finally hit the deck about 8 ft away, sorry I'm LMAO typing this, he was barred from the pub for life. :) As the guys who were standing at the bar heard what I said and saw what he was doing to me.
Yeah! those who think every answer means *yes I want you* are total tubes from the rear end where the sun doesn't normally reach. :D
Thanks BTW. He deserved it.

farmerjumperdon
2008-Oct-08, 02:05 PM
So after reading about all the fun things going on; and remembering what it was like myself; tell us again why you choose to live there.

Don't get me wrong, I used to enjoy certain parts of city life when I was younger (lived in Uptown MPLS for 12 years - think minature version of Greenwich); but it finally got to a certain point where it was no longer worth it. The last couple years we lived there stuff like burglaries and street robberies had become a routine part of the landscape. Five minutes without a siren, regardless of the hour of the day, would have been a miracle.

How come we have never learned anything from those experiments where you put a couple dozen mice in a small cage and watch them go crazy?

BigDon
2008-Oct-14, 05:33 PM
*Sigh* I'll obviously never be a great novelist. My life experience includes virtually none of the sorts of things you folks are describing. Anybody want to read a thrilling story of a nerdy suburban kid who never gets into scrapes?

I do, however, have some experience with Ethiopian cooking. You're in for a treat.

I'm trying to think of fairly unique situations I've been in and I think I have a couple. (Staiduk, I'm not so much highjacking your thread as introducing myself. :) )

Donny, have you ever:

Stomped out fine art, while you yourself were on fire? That was the last time I was on fire. It was cool 'cause just my cloths were burning that time. Though my legs got a bit tinged, and most of my eyebrows abandoned ship.

Put your hand into the belly of an amazon redtailed catfish to retrieve filter components? Like most engulfers they have a well developed regurgitation reflex but it takes a bit of time for them to decide something is inedible and we had just called the customer to pick up his 400 hundred dollar fish. (The fish was still small)

Well, the damn thing had the obvious shape of an elbow joint in it's stomach. Would you try to pass off something like that to a customer? The weird part was pushing my hand through the cardiac sphincter (at the top of the stomach) and feeling how slick the digestive juices were.

Streak a major change of command ceremony wearing boots and a flightdeck helmit and not get caught-ish. (Several folks knew but nobody busted me. Tattoo.) And in FRONT of the podium, not behind it. I'm no wuss. And back then I was positively "fleet of foot".

Fazor
2008-Oct-14, 05:52 PM
Streak a major change of command ceremony wearing boots and a flightdeck helmit and not get caught-ish. (Several folks knew but nobody busted me. Tattoo.)

You're a great storyteller that does an amazing job painting mental images. Unfortunatelly, there's the occasional image I wish not to have had.

;)

Tobin Dax
2008-Oct-14, 07:48 PM
Streak a major change of command ceremony wearing boots and a flightdeck helmit and not get caught-ish. (Several folks knew but nobody busted me. Tattoo.)

You're a great storyteller that does an amazing job painting mental images. Unfortunatelly, there's the occasional image I wish not to have had.

;)

I picture the boot, I picture the helmet, and I hope that the tattoo is identifiable in situations that don't strongly resemble streaking. :)

BigDon
2008-Oct-14, 08:15 PM
Asian dragon you could see at the beach.