PDA

View Full Version : Big Bang singularity

sundaju
2008-Oct-05, 04:32 PM
However hard I try to imagine, I cannot comprehend how such a singular point could have packed so much density so as to create this vastness of space and time that we see now?

We being limited in our day to day experience of space and time, makes it difficult for me to imagine the event, however well it is described.

Am i alone and missing a critical point somewhere?

cosmocrazy
2008-Oct-05, 07:11 PM
However hard I try to imagine, I cannot comprehend how such a singular point could have packed so much density so as to create this vastness of space and time that we see now?

We being limited in our day to day experience of space and time, makes it difficult for me to imagine the event, however well it is described.

Am i alone and missing a critical point somewhere?

You are not alone! :)

A couple of key things to know when trying to imagine such a physical object is this. Firstly the "singularity point " that you refer to is only a mathematical construct and many people believe such a thing is a physical impossibility. How ever black holes do exist and at their centre of gravity is believed to reside a "singularity" of some sorts.

Secondly when trying to imagine how matter could be squashed down to such a small size, as a simple analogy picture this in your mind. Imagine the nuclei of an atom is the size of golf ball and the orbiting electrons the size of a very small peas. The relative orbiting radius's are so vast that the resulting "empty space" between makes up (IIRC) over 99% of the overall size of the atom. This analogy helps me to visualize how so much matter can be squashed down to occupy such a small volume ( certainly down to neutron stars anyway).

Hope this helps, I'm sure the more knowledgeable folks on BAUT will correct me if I'm wrong or certainly give you more detail if you require it. :)