PDA

View Full Version : Of Overhead Projectors and Planetarium Foolishness

Fraser
2008-Oct-08, 04:00 PM
We don't normally publish political articles here on Universe Today, but I'm going to make an exception here after watching last night's presidential debate because a.) John McCain mentioned something about a planetarium, which is an area of interest for UT readers, and b.) McCain obviously had no idea what he was talking about. [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/10/08/of-overhead-projectors-and-planetarium-foolishness/)

antoniseb
2008-Oct-08, 04:29 PM
I'd like to limit the scope of this thread to the value of planetariums, and exclude discussions of whether McCain knew what he was saying, or whether wealthy philanthropists instead of the federal government should pay for this fine instrument.

KaiYeves
2008-Oct-08, 11:04 PM
My assignment pad for school has a place where you can write a quote that you'll see all week. Right now it's "Planetariums are NOT foolishness!"

mike alexander
2008-Oct-08, 11:34 PM
With the loss of true night sky for so many people, the simulacrum possible in a good, modern planetarium may be the only close substitute.

I don't know how to place a dollar value on such things. But a few years ago I took the family to the Oregon Star Party. Luckily the weather was perfect, and my Manhattan-raised wife just sat there for I don't know how long, looking at the Milky Way from horizon to horizon, enchanted.

I don't know how to put poetry into someone's soul. But as Dunsany wrote,"Man is a small thing, and the night is very large, and full of wonders.''

BigDon
2008-Oct-09, 01:12 AM
Much like caviar or balut, I find Mr. Plait's story linked to in the UT article...interesting.