PDA

View Full Version : Large Hadron What?

Solid Bismuth
2008-Oct-09, 09:05 PM
Hello all, I have a bone to pick with society.

I am a Junior in High School and I've been tracking the news on the Collider since around January when I first heard about it. I have been getting very upset lately mainly because of how little coverage such a significant achievement has received since it's initial creation. Only about 10% of the students (and amazingly the staff as well) at my school have even heard of the thing! I realize though that I can't get to upset at all the students for not knowing this, mainly because the media has given it barely any attention because Anna Nicole Smith still being dead is a bigger story anyway :doh:. But what really got to me is that when I try to educate students and adults about the LHC I get very unfavorable reactions. The adults usually just kind of pass it off and put it in the bowels of their minds while the students' reactions are almost offensive. One girl asked, "How is this interesting?" after I went into deep detail about it.

Wow.

I told her, "I am sorry that what I had to say had nothing to do with MySpace or the latest cell phone."

But the biggest disappointment for me was when I approached my Chemistry teacher two weeks ago and asked her about it. She had no idea what I was talking about. Worse yet, she taught Physics last year and the year before! I was completely shocked when I received her reaction. Come on! This is potentially one of the greatest scientific achievements humanity has ever accomplished!

It disgusts me that we live in such a technological and connected world and so many people do not even know what the Large Hadron Collider is.

Neverfly
2008-Oct-09, 09:08 PM
I've run into this too.
In fact, aside from BAUT'ers, no one I have talked to knew what it was.

Most people don't really seem to care.

But then, I couldn't tell you what the latest fashion designs are or what is the best Floral Arrangement or what colors are in vogue either.

Warren Platts
2008-Oct-09, 09:14 PM
I agree, Master.

Solid Bismuth
2008-Oct-09, 09:15 PM
Yes, but do those topics truly matter?

I may seem rash, and I probably mean to be :) but this is an incredible accomplishment.

And I'm not even talking only about the LHC but all of the Sciences! Many do not even care and just live out there materialistic lives.

I guess I can't change anyone and cannot necessarily be too aggravated with humanity for this behavior since I cannot truly know what they are thinking.

I am mainly just confused and would like to understand, why?

Why do people have this attitude?

Neverfly
2008-Oct-09, 09:22 PM
Why do people have this attitude?

Why do people drive automatic transmissions?
People in general like the easy road.
Learning science is work- not caring is easy.

Steve Limpus
2008-Oct-09, 09:24 PM
Hi Solid,

almost everyone I know thinks I'm a raving lunatic whenever I mention stuff like the LHC, so you're definitely not alone! One friend I'd characterise as an atomic sceptic. We got in to a deep and meaningful about atomic structure and electromagnetic force, and I made the mistake of using my desk as an example. He said "Mate, you're full of cr*p - smack your head on the desk and tell me if it hurts..." :lol:

Have you tried the CERN podcasts, they'll help I'm sure.

http://www.cernpodcast.com/

Solid Bismuth
2008-Oct-09, 09:24 PM
That is very true.

Depressing though.

PraedSt
2008-Oct-09, 09:29 PM
It's probably always been this way Solid. Just do what you have to do and don't worry too much about what others think.

And, if I may,

One girl...after I went into deep detail about it
Avoid.

Solid Bismuth
2008-Oct-09, 09:31 PM
It's probably always been this way Solid. Just do what you have to do and don't worry too much about what others think.

And, if I may,

Avoid.

I don't think I understand?

PraedSt
2008-Oct-09, 09:35 PM
Oh sorry. The girl bit? Well, I used to do the same thing, except I used to talk about Spitfires. Sent them to sleep. :)
If you're lucky enough to find one that shares your interest, hang on to her! Otherwise...avoid LHC as a topic :)

Of course, this only makes sense if you're a boy. If not, I'll go and hang myself right now.

Solid Bismuth
2008-Oct-09, 09:38 PM
Haha.

I am a male, no worries.

I understand what you're saying now, though.

Gemini
2008-Oct-09, 09:53 PM
Alot of people at my school beleive the doomsday theories. Also, my physics teacher (the smart one, not the incredibly inept one( I have two that team teach) had no idea about SpaceX 's launch a few weeks ago.

Gillianren
2008-Oct-09, 11:13 PM
Oh sorry. The girl bit? Well, I used to do the same thing, except I used to talk about Spitfires. Sent them to sleep. :)
If you're lucky enough to find one that shares your interest, hang on to her! Otherwise...avoid LHC as a topic :)

Of course, this only makes sense if you're a boy. If not, I'll go and hang myself right now.

It still makes sense if you're considering someone for friendship to avoid someone with no common interests, you know. And I think you mean "interested in girls" in that last paragraph!

Bearded One
2008-Oct-09, 11:21 PM
Also, my physics teacher (the smart one, not the incredibly inept one( I have two that team teach) had no idea about SpaceX 's launch a few weeks ago.Well, that isn't exactly science related. Space technology perhaps, but not really science. I pay little attention to them myself.

I tested one of my bosses knowledge the day it was scheduled to start up. I asked him if he was ready for the end of the world. :lol: I had a smile on my face as I asked it and gaged his reaction. He was aware of the LHC and thought the doomsayers were nuts. :clap:

It is sad that so very few people show an interest in such things. It's a wonder we ever made it out of the trees.

PraedSt
2008-Oct-10, 06:46 AM
It still makes sense if you're considering someone for friendship to avoid someone with no common interests, you know

Very true!
I also forgot the 'opposites attract' theory.

Salty
2008-Oct-10, 09:06 AM
Well, to my understanding, few High School students are that interested in science. You'd think the ones that were, would know what the Large Hadron Collider does and where it's at.

Others who post on this thread have given you sage advice. Basically, don't tune out peopl and hang with people who share your interests. Also, listen to people, since listening is very important to conversations and to learning.

Nicolas
2008-Oct-10, 03:57 PM
Very true!
I also forgot the 'opposites attract' theory.

worst - pop - song - ever

Anyway, if a nice girl likes the sound of a Triumph Tr-6 engine, should I hang onto her like Hoagland on jpg artifacts? :whistle:

I know some people interested in science (engineers, mostly) but many people simply don't care as long as it's just science. If the result is spectacul (bad or good), then they're somewhat more interested, but just...science...blah. sigh...

Fazor
2008-Oct-10, 04:10 PM
My g/f and I share relatively few interests. Hasn't really been a problem.

...actually, I'm pretty glad she doesn't share my main interests. I like to go fishing, for example. But part of what I like about fishing is being alone, so that wouldn't work if she liked to fish aswell.

I play MMO's, but only have one computer. If she was into that and I had to split the time with her? Eek.

And I play guitar. If she was into music, I'd have to learn that country junk she listens to.

Scarey.

Diversity is often a good thing. :)

Neverfly
2008-Oct-10, 04:17 PM
My g/f and I share relatively few interests. Hasn't really been a problem.

...actually, I'm pretty glad she doesn't share my main interests.
Actually, there are solutions to all of these. So even if you share common interests, you could still work around the issues you that raise.

I like to go fishing, for example. But part of what I like about fishing is being alone, so that wouldn't work if she liked to fish as well.
Push her into the water a few times. After a while, she will get tired of it and go find another spot to fish.

I play MMO's, but only have one computer. If she was into that and I had to split the time with her? Eek.
Go out on dates while she's on the computer.

And I play guitar. If she was into music, I'd have to learn that country junk she listens to.
Hone your skills and learn how to play the guitar really well. Not only will that benefit your interest, but no one plays country music skillfully, so your Good Guitar playing would make awful country music and she would lose interest.

Gillianren
2008-Oct-10, 04:19 PM
From the outside, it doesn't appear that Graham and I have a lot in common, either. He hardly says a word, for example. But we like a lot of the same kinds of movies and TV shows (though he doesn't understand my Law & Order fixation) and a lot of the same foods. We have similar views about things outside the scope of the board. And while we don't have the same hobbies, we can both sit in the same room with our hobbies and not disturb one another. And, yes, sometimes, when I read him bits of the board, he laughs.

Fazor
2008-Oct-10, 04:23 PM
Lol, always the innovator Neverfly.

Solid Bismuth
2008-Oct-10, 11:37 PM
Well, thanks everyone for your advice.

It seems I will just have to accept the fact that people are generally ignorant. ;)

Haha.

Good night.

novaderrik
2008-Oct-11, 12:00 AM

It seems I will just have to accept the fact that people are generally ignorant. ;)

Haha.

Good night.
but don't confuse being "ignorant" with being "stupid". for 99% of the population, the LHC doesn't have anything to do with their day to day lives- how many people do you know that have even the most rudimentary particle collider in their basement?
how much do you know about the inner workings of NASCAR? or the world of heavy metal music- especially the juggernaut that is Metallica? i could ramble on and on and on about the little details about those subjects- but i'd wager that you'd get bored and wonder why i waste my time even thinking about such trivial stuff.
i'd bet that if the LHC was built somewhere in the USA- and mostly funded using American tax dollars- then more people here would know about it and have an opinion one way or the other.

Fazor
2008-Oct-11, 04:36 AM

Haha.

Good night.

There's times where I feel depressed at the world's apparent lack of interest in science, and lack of ability to reason.

I agree that most people I deal with day to day are very ignorant of even the simplist scientific principles. Just watch tv. Advertising, television, pop culture are all based on people not being able to think for themselves.

Don't take this the wrong way--I by no means think I'm smarter than everyone else. BAUT is the type of place that is quick to humble pretty much anyone in that department.

But, that brings me to my point ... and it's the reason I cherish BAUT like I do ... there are many out there who do appreciate the world around us. You don't have to be a Phd. physisist or Bio-chemist to view the world through skeptical and inquisitive eyes.

Basically what I'm saying is, don't lose hope. There may be a lot of "un-learned" people out there, but there's plenty who find beauty and wonder in inspecting and describing the world around us (that is my simplist definition of science). And don't be too hard on those who aren't into the same thing as you.

Neverfly
2008-Oct-11, 04:44 AM
There's times where I feel depressed at the world's apparent lack of interest in science, and lack of ability to reason.

I agree that most people I deal with day to day are very ignorant of even the simplist scientific principles. Just watch tv. Advertising, television, pop culture are all based on people not being able to think for themselves.

Don't take this the wrong way--I by no means think I'm smarter than everyone else. BAUT is the type of place that is quick to humble pretty much anyone in that department.

But, that brings me to my point ... and it's the reason I cherish BAUT like I do ... there are many out there who do appreciate the world around us. You don't have to be a Phd. physisist or Bio-chemist to view the world through skeptical and inquisitive eyes.

Basically what I'm saying is, don't lose hope. There may be a lot of "un-learned" people out there, but there's plenty who find beauty and wonder in inspecting and describing the world around us (that is my simplist definition of science). And don't be too hard on those who aren't into the same thing as you.

Fazor, there are a LOT of fascinating and intelligent people out there who enjoy learning, maintaining their knowledge and expanding and exploring.
The trouble is that they are more quiet than the obnoxious and loud mouthed ones who choose their own ignorance.

However, having said that- You Are Absolutely Right.

cosmocrazy
2008-Oct-11, 08:35 AM
Hi Solid,

almost everyone I know thinks I'm a raving lunatic whenever I mention stuff like the LHC, so you're definitely not alone! One friend I'd characterize as an atomic skeptic. We got in to a deep and meaningful about atomic structure and electromagnetic force, and I made the mistake of using my desk as an example. He said "Mate, you're full of cr*p - smack your head on the desk and tell me if it hurts..." :lol:

Have you tried the CERN podcasts, they'll help I'm sure.

http://www.cernpodcast.com/

I know how you feel! :(

There's not one single person i know aside from this forum that has the slightest bit of interest in anything to do with science, technology or astronomy. So i was delighted when i joined BAUT and found you folks!! :)

A good tip for the guys, don't bother talking about anything on any of these subjects if you are trying to chat up a girl. Unless you are very lucky and meet a girl that shares these interests ( which i have not yet personally :( ) In my limited experience you have to be one of 2 kinds of guy. !. don't give a c**p , do what you want, treat them like dirt type. Which for some unknown reason some women love :doh: or 2. the nice gentle, kind, understanding, in touch with your feminine side type. :) oh year i forgot :doh: No 3. LOADED!! :)