PDA

View Full Version : I heard Pamela Gay on the BBC - It's about plumbing

Sticks
2008-Oct-11, 05:15 AM
On the BBC Radio 4 program IPM (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ipm/)

It referred to here (http://www.starstryder.com/2008/10/03/citizen-plumbing-its-not-quite-galaxy-zoo/)

I could not believe it was our Pamela, and she was not talking about astronomy

Does Pamela still come on here?

Neverfly
2008-Oct-11, 05:27 AM
Ask Mrs. Gay and her husband to check the ThermoCouple on her water heater.

The flame licks the end of the thermocouple which heats the tip.
This converts into a miniscule amount of electricity which is read by a sensor at the thermostat.
If the thermocouple is acting up or it isn't far enough into the flame to get properly heated- Then the sensor reads a drop in that minute voltage and it Cuts Off the Gas to the pilot light thinking that the flame went out.
This is to prevent gas leaks.
Which of course, in a case like this... Turns off the flame as well. No gas to it, see...
When you go to relight the pilot- you must turn the gas back onto it. So it's tough to tell that the thermocoupling had turned the gas off to the pilot light.

ETA: Ok, I just noticed that several people commented on it on the page- Oops:p

StarStryder
2008-Oct-11, 11:44 AM
Hi Sticks,

Yup, I still come on :-) I just don't always have time to write as much as I'd like ;-)

What did you think of our silliness with plumbing?

Cheers,
Pamela

Sticks
2008-Oct-11, 04:22 PM
Hi Sticks,

Yup, I still come on :-) I just don't always have time to write as much as I'd like ;-)

What did you think of our silliness with plumbing?

Cheers,
Pamela

Re-plumbing, where I live everything is electric as ever since a certain tragedy in the 1960's / 1970's the seldom allow gas in a tower block.

Re the set up, it did remind me of the old Trojan room coffee machine at Cambridge University, which was the first such set up, in 1994.

(Does anyone know what happened to that?)

Moose
2008-Oct-11, 05:00 PM
I'm kind of confused. Electric plumbing? I've heard a reference to that before, but I can't wrap my mind around it.

Other than the hot water tank and (well) water pumps (both of which I do have), what, exactly needs to be powered? I thought plumbing was entirely mechanical? Or is hot water what you mean by electric vs gas?

Sticks
2008-Oct-11, 05:55 PM
Sorry what I meant is that all water is heated by electricity, and plumbers need to know how to service electric boilers as well as gas heatedboilers. One guy at church is a plumber and for his job he has to be an electrician as well.

Moose
2008-Oct-11, 06:01 PM
Ah. Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification, Sticks.

tbm
2008-Oct-12, 03:23 PM
From time to time I remove any oxidation from the thermocouple tip with some ScotchbriteŽ.

tbm

Sticks
2008-Nov-15, 09:25 AM
So how is it going with the pilot light?