PDA

View Full Version : Straight spacetime?

bigsplit
2008-Oct-14, 03:05 AM
I have not been such a steady poster around here these days, I do read occasionally just to try and keep up.

The title Straight Space lead me to a little brain stroming. If mass bends space time, doesnt that imply that there would be such a thing as non bent or straignt space time. If the universe is on the aggregate "straight" hypothetically, couldn't you explain gravity as the flow of straight spacetime to flatten out the bent space time. The straight space time interacts with the stress tensors of mass to apply force to all the mass towars the center of gravity. Instead of flattening out the "straight space" is converted into electro magnetic energy depnding of the structure of the tensors.

Jim
2008-Oct-14, 03:31 PM
Seems made for Q&A.

max8166
2008-Oct-14, 04:05 PM
I consider Spacetime (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime) to always be bent as long as there is any mass in the universe. If the mass is very far away the bending may be very slight but never absolutely straight.

If the universe is on the aggregate "straight" hypothetically, couldn't you explain gravity as the flow of straight spacetime to flatten out the bent space time?

Er no. not even hypothetically! (Well I couldn't anyway)

mugaliens
2008-Oct-15, 08:53 PM
I gather that "straight" is dependant upon two things:

1. The relativistic mass summation.

2. The velocity of the point of view.

As the later moves through spacetime, the former will change along a continuum.