PDA

View Full Version : The sun

crazy4space
2008-Oct-15, 02:11 PM
One of the neighbor kids asked me a question that I couldnt answer "Doe's our sun have any other name that it goe's by ? i.e. has it been cataloged with any other designation other than the sun?" Smart alex little children...tee hee

LotusExcelle
2008-Oct-15, 02:12 PM
Sol.

Dgennero
2008-Oct-15, 03:59 PM
Sol in this SF encyclopedia with the planets named sol 1 through sol 8 ;)
http://www32.brinkster.com/virtualeclipse/scifi/pedia/s.htm

Jens
2008-Oct-16, 01:28 AM
One of the neighbor kids asked me a question that I couldnt answer "Doe's our sun have any other name that it goe's by ? i.e. has it been cataloged with any other designation other than the sun?" Smart alex little children...tee hee

This question comes up from time to time. I guess to answer your question somewhat literally, it has thousands of names other than sun. Just a few examples, "le soleil" (French) and "taiyo" (Japanese). But I think you mean, "catalogued, i.e. official" names. The answer then is no, it doesn't. The IAU, which names astronomical objects, does not give names to the classical planets and the sun and the moon. The simple reason is that (I think) all languages on earth already include names for them, which are in common use, so making an international name doesn't really make sense.

Then the other part is that, if you're asking about names in English, we don't have a body like the Academie Francais in French that decides what is "official" in our language. So there are not truly official names in English in that sense. The term "sol" is commonly used in science fiction, but sun is just as proper and in common use.

dayll
2008-Oct-16, 03:10 AM
We no doubt have to wait until we are in contact with extraterrestrials. Then perhaps we shall be privy to the sun's 'cataloged' name/number. -dayll

LotusExcelle
2008-Oct-16, 09:37 AM
Or for the obscure - if you listen to Hooverphonic then you know or sun is also called Prophet 60091.

Invader Xan
2008-Oct-18, 04:07 PM
Sol in this SF encyclopedia with the planets named sol 1 through sol 8 ;)
http://www32.brinkster.com/virtualeclipse/scifi/pedia/s.htm

By exoplanet conventions, Earth should be 'Sol a', because it was the first planet "discovered" around the Sun. :P

ToSeek
2008-Oct-22, 03:25 PM
Moved from Astronomy to Q&A.