PDA

View Full Version : How insane is Ripper?

Ripper
2003-Oct-24, 01:27 AM
Recently, my sanity has been called into question by no less than four people, among them a Marine Colonel, two BABB posters, and my wife. I decided to put the issue up for debate. the question is, am I insane, and if so, why. There is strong evidence that I am insane. After all I took my web name after the world's most famous serial killer, and I keep volunteering for deployemnts that I know are not going to be fun.

So please, those of you who know me, answer this survey so that I can get the help that I need.

tuffel999
2003-Oct-24, 01:30 AM
Recently, my sanity has been called into question by no less than four people, among them a Marine Colonel, two BABB posters, and my wife. I decided to put the issue up for debate. the question is, am I insane, and if so, why. There is strong evidence that I am insane. After all I took my web name after the world's most famous serial killer, and I keep volunteering for deployemnts that I know are not going to be fun.

So please, those of you who know me, answer this survey so that I can get the help that I need.

When I first started reading your post I was going to say that women always think men are crazy, but.........I think I know better now. Was she a little upset about the volunterring for deployments maybe? :-k

Ripper
2003-Oct-24, 01:44 AM
I have learned that the "You knew what you were getting into when you married me" argument does not work.

Humphrey
2003-Oct-24, 01:58 AM
Your wife will probobly always think you are crazy, even if you are not.

Ohtherwise you are no more crazy than a napoleonic talking turtle with a inferiority complex towards people who are smarter than him. :-)

Mojo_the_Mi-Go
2003-Oct-24, 03:55 AM
Well, reading your profile and a couple of your posts...your probably really smart and a bit excentric, which can be mistaken for insanity. Engineer+Marine would mean you're smart and tough as nails. Also, an uncle of mine and my deceased grandfather on my dad's side were engineers, so the stigma of engineers being cold and solem are far from the truth as far as I can tell. So again, sane but possabley a fun oddball.

Mr. X
2003-Oct-24, 04:16 AM
Ripper:

Would you accuse chestnuts of being lazy?

Did you invent the question mark?

Ripper
2003-Oct-24, 10:54 AM
No. I refuse to invent any new punctuation until people start using the ones we already have correctly.

Chessnuts are not lazy, they just need to be properly motivated.

Amadeus
2003-Oct-24, 11:31 AM
Ripper:

What sound does blue make?

----------------------------------------------------------

Only an insane mind believes that they are totaly sane.

Ripper
2003-Oct-24, 11:39 AM
Sorry, I do not have synesthesia. That would be cool though.

If I had to guess though I would think the color blue sounds like a small electric motor.

Someone once said that if you think you may be insane, you probably are not. A better sign of insanity is when you think you are sane, but can not figure out why you are the only person who showed up to work in his bath-robe and bunny slippers.

Donnie B.
2003-Oct-24, 12:16 PM
Sorry, I do not have synesthesia. That would be cool though.

If I had to guess though I would think the color blue sounds like a small electric motor.
Wrong. Blue sounds like the smell of the ocean. 8-[

gethen
2003-Oct-24, 01:02 PM
Is this about the Rosie O'Donnell thing? Because that's when I started wondering. :wink:

Ripper
2003-Oct-24, 01:39 PM
That was an extreme situation. It raises an interesting question. If a man behaves in a perfectly sane manner in an insane environment, does that prove that he is insane? Would not a sane man behave in an insane manner in an insane environment?

NASA Fan
2003-Oct-24, 01:46 PM
Is this about the Rosie O'Donnell thing? Because that's when I started wondering. :wink:

What Rosie O'Donnell thing?

Laser Jock
2003-Oct-24, 01:46 PM
I have learned that the "You knew what you were getting into when you married me" argument does not work.

Only when you try to use it. If your wife uses it, then it does work. :roll:

Ripper
2003-Oct-24, 02:10 PM

I would rather not say. :oops:

Doodler
2003-Oct-24, 04:52 PM
Heehee, I think that has less to do with inherent insanity than it does having been isolated from civilization entirely too long.

Ripper
2003-Oct-24, 05:37 PM
My wife has made the rule that I do not get to pick movies for the first couple of weeks after getting back from a deployment. Some of the movies that I remember as being so funny when I am deployed are not nearly as funny when I am at home.

mike alexander
2003-Oct-24, 07:03 PM
Well, I had thought that your nom de eplume was from the general of the same name, but...

Opinionated (how odd for this place...)
Committed to ideals (how passe...)

Compared to, say, Humphrey, you seem sane enough to me.

Ripper
2003-Oct-24, 08:01 PM
[quote="mike alexander"]Well, I had thought that your nom de eplume was from the general of the same name, but...

I like to think of it as more of a nom de guerre.

mike alexander
2003-Oct-24, 08:57 PM
L'audace! Toujours l'audace!

NASA Fan
2003-Oct-24, 09:55 PM

I would rather not say. :oops:

That is OK, though I am curious because of the red faced emoticon. But a little curiosity is a good thing.

Humphrey
2003-Oct-24, 10:38 PM
I am not insane. Going to classes wearing a pillowcase and screaming the llyrics to all of the oompah loompah songs in class is the standard now.

Ripper
2003-Oct-24, 11:57 PM
So what you are saying is that sanity is nothing more than conformity to social norms. I think I heard that somewhere before.

Mr. X
2003-Oct-25, 04:31 AM
Maybe you're not insane, just heavily brain damaged, which gives the impression of being insane, but you're not.

You should accuse chestnuts of being lazy... when they are!

Maybe if you keep volunteering for things that are painful is because you are a sadomasochist?

Perhaps a freudian approach would help you?

Kaptain K
2003-Oct-26, 04:15 AM
Ripper,
I think you are sane, for a marine. I honestly mean that in a good way. As the saying goes, "It's a thankless job, but somebody's got to do it". I for one am glad that there are people like you who are there to do it! One of my best friends is an ex-marine who came back from 'Nam with a Purple Heart (Damn poor substitute for the left eye he had when he got there!).

FWIW - Psychiatrist M. Scott Peck says that: "Insanity is a sane response to an insane world". I would think that your "world" qualifies!

NASA Fan
2003-Oct-26, 05:02 AM
Kaptain K, I thought that they were called "Former Marines" or "Retired Marines" I have a friend who used to be in the Marines who told me that there is no such thing as an "ex marine"

So Ripper, what is it "Former, " "Retired," or "Ex" Marine?

Thanks for all that you do in keeping us and others safe and doing what you do.

Thanks to everyone on this board who has served his or her country or who plan on serving it.

(I know I sound like I am being a goodie two shoe, I just do not know how to thank our military personell for all that they do).

Kaptain K
2003-Oct-26, 05:32 AM
NASA Fan,
I stand corrected.

Ripper,
No insult was intended. :oops:

mike alexander
2003-Oct-27, 05:00 AM
I've seen the word unsane applied to people too far off the social norm. Perhaps you are unsane, but this will be a fluid and subjective marker. (Why shouldn't women be allowed to vote?). Out by more than two Stdevs?

To me, insane means being more or less out of touch with objective reality.(The Voice told me to kill him)

Kaptain K
2003-Oct-27, 08:46 AM
Neurotics build castles in the air.
Psychotics live in them.
Psychiatrists collect the rent!

Ripper
2003-Oct-27, 02:33 PM
Neurotics build castles in the air.
Psychotics live in them.
Psychiatrists collect the rent!

And Marines guard the gates.

The idea behind the semantics of ex-Marine vs. Former Marine is the idea that once you are a Marine you will always be a Marine. I have had this discussion before on the subject of the two Marines who's courts martial I sat in on. These two were given Bad Conduct Discharges for conduct I will not discuss here. I would rather think that they were never really Marines. Kind of like how the Catholic Church will give some people an annulment rather than a divorce. A divorce is ending a mariage. An annulment contends that the mariage never really happened. One thing I had a hard time with when I was down at Parris Island was how we were often forced to graduate recruits that should have been dropped. Like any other beurocracy, we were driven by numbers. In the end the bad ones will wash out anyway, but it would save a lot of time and money to weed them out sooner.

Gmann
2003-Oct-27, 02:56 PM
I don't really know what the Corps does to Marines, but it has been my experience that if you meet a former Marine, he is usually fiercly proud of the fact that he was in the corps. this even holds true to the ones who went in, didn't like it, got out, and would tell horror stories about their time in the corps. Say one bad word about the corps in their presence, and they will light you up, plain and simple. I guess the phrase "Once a Marine, always a Marine" holds true in almost any case.

Ripper
2003-Oct-28, 06:58 PM
You call to mind a line from Red Dragon. Dr. Lechter observes, "My continued incarceration is proof that this society is insane. A sane society would have killed me or put me to some use."