PDA

View Full Version : Recall Article about Consciousness and Accelerating Universe

tonybaloney
2008-Oct-17, 04:20 PM
Can anyone help me find an article that I remember reading about a year ago on perhaps NewScientist website? in which a group of researchers hypothesized that our conscious observation of the accelerating universe may have some effect such as to speed it up or perhaps cause us to change the current time dimension into another spacial dimension?

Any help to find this article or any other material on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

I want to read it again first, but does anyone have any comments about this topic?

grant hutchison
2008-Oct-17, 04:35 PM
This (http://arxiv.org/abs/0711.1821) is Krauss and Dent's article about our observation of the Universe modifying its future, and it was reviewed rather speculatively in New Scientist last year. You'll find a summary here (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071125-human-observation-of-dark-energy-may-shorten-the-life-span-of-the-universe.html).

Grant Hutchison

tonybaloney
2008-Oct-17, 04:50 PM
Thanks, Grant. Do you happen to have the original NS article? I no longer have access to the member content.

I am guessing that the second part of my question is a totally separte article. Does anyone know where I can find the article regarding the change of time dimension to a spatial dimension?

Thanks in advance.

grant hutchison
2008-Oct-17, 04:58 PM
Thanks, Grant. Do you happen to have the original NS article? I don't, sorry. I tend to use New Scientist as a way of finding interesting articles, rather than as a reference source in itself. So it ends up in the recycling bin fairly quickly.

Grant Hutchison

tonybaloney
2008-Oct-17, 05:02 PM
I do the same. I really just wanted to send this article to a friend as I thought it was a really interesting and really thought provoking topic and to hopefully drum up some interest with them in the articles and topics that I like reading about.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

grant hutchison
2008-Oct-17, 05:30 PM
There's some interesting well-informed blogging concerning the original paper, the New Scientist report and the subsequent media hype, here (http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2007/12/astronomers_blamed_for_death_o.html).

I think it's worth pointing out that, in order to accept this notion that human observations might affecting the existence of the Universe, you need to buy into the "consciousness collapses the wave-function" interpretation of quantum mechanics.
I only ever get personal hassle on this forum when I do either of two things, and one of those fateful things is to express my opinion of the "conscious collapse" interpretation in QM. So, since I'm hoping for a quiet weekend, I'll leave it there. :)

Grant Hutchison

tonybaloney
2008-Oct-17, 07:57 PM
So does anyone have any info about the other topic - "Time dimension converting into a spatial dimension"?

grant hutchison
2008-Oct-17, 08:01 PM
So does anyone have any info about the other topic - "Time dimension converting into a spatial dimension"?It's a routine part of what is predicted to happen inside the event horizon of a black hole. I don't know if that's relevant to your recollection.

Grant Hutchison

tonybaloney
2008-Oct-17, 08:27 PM
I think that is interesting - I think I would probably need to read up a little more about that in terms of black holes. Any references would be appreciated.

I just found one article (but I don't recall if it is the correct article) about perhaps the accelerating universe phenomenon is due to the fact that at astronomical scales time is actually slowing down and in billions of years time will convert into a spatial dimension. http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2008/01/scientist-says.html

I know that I will probably get in trouble for this as I am more philosophical rather than mathmatical in reading and learning about these subjects, but what is the thought on the true need of time in the universe other than it is what our consciousness perceives and it is required to make several standard model equations work? I have a personal opinion that time does not really exist except in our perceptions and by our mind's evolutionary conceptualization. This is probably very misguided and could be totally incorrect. But what actually MAKES time existing a requirement?