PDA

View Full Version : Right! Off I go, then!

Mister Earl
2008-Oct-18, 11:38 AM
Well, as of tomorrow morning, I am getting deployed. First a train-up period, then off I go to Iraq! I did have a personal laptop I intended on taking with me, but the motherboard burned out somehow. I will be incommunicado until I can afford another. But, I will get another one, so you should see me again in a month or two. I've also got a digital camera (finally!), so I'll be able to take some pictures for you all. But, since I'll be gone for a good bit until that happens, I figured I'd hop on and let you all know why I'll be so busy. It's been a real hoot.

(During my month of leave before going, I managed to skydive with my 80 year old grandmother. My first jump, her second. The jumpmaster liked the video that resulted enough to put it on youtube. For everyone's first look at me, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji_3kBVyHlw)

Back soon, I hope!

~ Mister Earl

Neverfly
2008-Oct-18, 11:48 AM
Take care of yourself and keep us posted.

Watch out for pizz poles and camel spiders;)

Mister Earl
2008-Oct-18, 12:04 PM
I'm planning on buying some chicken wire when I get out there. It's a running joke with the guys from my unit. Camel spider fights :)

(Not seriously going to do it of course. I'll be far too busy for such shenanigans)

Paracelsus
2008-Oct-18, 12:13 PM
Well, as of tomorrow morning, I am getting deployed. First a train-up period, then off I go to Iraq! I did have a personal laptop I intended on taking with me, but the motherboard burned out somehow. I will be incommunicado until I can afford another. But, I will get another one, so you should see me again in a month or two. I've also got a digital camera (finally!), so I'll be able to take some pictures for you all. But, since I'll be gone for a good bit until that happens, I figured I'd hop on and let you all know why I'll be so busy. It's been a real hoot.

(During my month of leave before going, I managed to skydive with my 80 year old grandmother. My first jump, her second. The jumpmaster liked the video that resulted enough to put it on youtube. For everyone's first look at me, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji_3kBVyHlw)

Back soon, I hope!

~ Mister Earl

Hang in there, stay safe, and post when you can!

Fazor
2008-Oct-18, 12:15 PM
Hey man, good luck out there. 'Tis too bad I didn't get ta see ya running around Warhammer before you left. Raise some hell for me while you're at it! :)

Mister Earl
2008-Oct-18, 12:33 PM
I'll pop in a little bit tonight. Look for me as char "Foe". By tonight I mean 5pm EST-ish.

#EDIT: I got some back pay coming in, so I might get me a nice alienware gaming laptop. I already got one of those broadband USB things, so if it all pans out, I can play a bit on my off-time, if I get any that is :)

Abbadon_2008
2008-Oct-18, 12:46 PM
I'm planning on buying some chicken wire when I get out there. It's a running joke with the guys from my unit. Camel spider fights :)

(Not seriously going to do it of course. I'll be far too busy for such shenanigans)

Camel spiders? Wicked! Catch me a couple, and Fed Ex them to me.
I've got a horrible cricket problem in my garage. A couple predacious arachnids should have a field day with them.:whistle:

Take care, man. And stay safe.:lol:

PraedSt
2008-Oct-18, 12:54 PM
Good luck and take care!
Although if your 80yr old gran can skydive, your genes must be excellent, so I have no worries you'll be fine ;)

PraedSt
2008-Oct-18, 12:57 PM
Camel spiders? Wicked! Catch me a couple, and Fed Ex them to me

Are you sure? They're not small you know... :)

http://www.camelspiders.net/large-camel-spider.jpg

mahesh
2008-Oct-18, 01:41 PM
holy schmoly Moses! not another 'deployment'? oh, man!
i may be teetering on the edge here, BAUT-wise, pardon me.
sitting thousands of miles away, cosily, the whole thing seems to me so casual, from the reactions. i feel like screaming. not another one, not another one. sorry.

Mr MisterEarl, please don't get into any Mess, In Potamia. Keep safe. Be back safe. You and everybody else. take care. be thinking of you guys.

ps: i like your 'jump' video. my hat off to your granma.

KaiYeves
2008-Oct-18, 03:32 PM
Stay safe, Mister Earl!

Gillianren
2008-Oct-18, 06:30 PM
Be careful. My thoughts are with you and your loved ones.

BigDon
2008-Oct-18, 07:04 PM
Whoosh! The two-way shooting range huh? Well, just remember incoming fire always has the right-of-way.

And if you are ever in a situation where you have to be really quiet, and you can hear your own heart beating, take comfort. Because then you are so quiet you can hear your own heart beating. That was taught to us in "Hairy Situations Training" as a way to not be afraid when you have every reason in the world to be afraid.

Thinking that works too, believe it or not.

chrissy
2008-Oct-18, 10:43 PM
Mahesh and Praedst they aren't that big either, they only chase you for the shade.

Some facts and myths about Camel spiders (http://www.camelspiders.net/)

Mr.Earl you could give us your E-bluey address and we all could write to you. :)

Stay safe and don't tease the scorpions too much with the spiders. (scorpions with a fatter stings are the most venomous ;) )

Mister Earl
2008-Oct-19, 02:19 AM
Eh. The stuff I'll be doing isn't dangerous. Simultaneously, I will be doing dangerous things. I'm a freshly minted HUMINT guy for those of you who know what that is. From what my instructors told me, a HUMINT guy knows he's done well when AQI puts a bounty on your head. Bonus: If that happens to me, I'll post a scan of the bounty paper :D

Mister Earl
2008-Oct-19, 06:18 AM
Well, last post. For now. Getting the last things together for my flight. Take care, everyone.

Van Rijn
2008-Oct-19, 07:03 AM
Good luck. Hope you have a boring (in a good way) time!

jt-3d
2008-Oct-19, 10:32 AM
Rats. Too late for the send off. Oh well, take care Mister Earl. Good luck and good hunting. http://jt-3d.com/pics2/salute.gif

Doodler
2008-Oct-19, 11:34 AM
Eh. The stuff I'll be doing isn't dangerous. Simultaneously, I will be doing dangerous things. I'm a freshly minted HUMINT guy for those of you who know what that is. From what my instructors told me, a HUMINT guy knows he's done well when AQI puts a bounty on your head. Bonus: If that happens to me, I'll post a scan of the bounty paper :D

Yikes! Knowing what that is, I'll just say good luck in Teh Suq and tip my hat to a man with stones larger than mine will ever be.

mugaliens
2008-Oct-19, 12:12 PM
If you've a choice, sleep as close to the sandbagged corner of a tent as possible. Less chance of getting shrapped by a morter.

And no, camel spiders aren't as large as the photo insinuates... Look at the huge sleeve on the guy holding them! Man!!! No, wait, that's just a normal sized sleeve...

mahesh
2008-Oct-19, 08:25 PM
chrissy, i wasn't thinking of the spiders, more of the 'deployment and consequences'....sorry, should've clarified?

chrissy
2008-Oct-19, 09:08 PM
I know I hate deployments too. :(
My son announced he wants to go back again. So I am unhappy about that.

mahesh
2008-Oct-20, 01:32 AM
I know I hate deployments too. :(
My son announced he wants to go back again. So I am unhappy about that.
aw, bless his youthful enthusiasm!
i reckon that is that very same one, that made other youngsters during ww1 and 2, which made them lie through their eye teeth to go serve their countries / cause. bless their hearts.

i bet you are chrissy.

Well, Mr Mister Earl....Fare well and safe return, ye all!

Tinaa
2008-Oct-20, 11:46 AM
I'm too late but thank you for serving!