PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth on the Moon?

rfguest
2008-Oct-19, 09:18 PM
Hi everyone,

Would RF devices such as Bluetooth be functional on the moon, or would there be a RFI problem from solar or other EM radiation?

Regarding acoustic comms through the moon surface, would anyone know the attenuation characteristics of the rock?

Thanks,

RFguest

cjameshuff
2008-Oct-20, 02:11 AM
Would RF devices such as Bluetooth be functional on the moon, or would there be a RFI problem from solar or other EM radiation?

Bluetooth operates in wavelengths that are not blocked by the ionosphere, and are used for communications by some satellites, so any interference that reaches the lunar surface also reaches Earth's surface. A Bluetooth device on the lunar surface would have the advantage of not having to compete with so many wireless phones and other devices that use that band, so it should work fine. However, useful lifetime may be fairly limited if radiation hard, wide temperature range hardware isn't used.

novaderrik
2008-Oct-20, 03:26 AM
as we all know, there were no RF devices on the moon landers- they communicated with each other while out on walking on the lunar surface by using some space string with some fancy NASA engineered space tin cups at each end.

Neverfly
2008-Oct-20, 04:04 AM
as we all know, there were no RF devices on the moon landers- they communicated with each other while out on walking on the lunar surface by using some space string with some fancy NASA engineered space tin cups at each end.

I've heard this silly claim many times before.
After careful examination of the evidence, I have decided that the Space Tin Cup was hoaxed because there is no gravity on the Moon.

novaderrik
2008-Oct-21, 08:41 AM
I've heard this silly claim many times before.
After careful examination of the evidence, I have decided that the Space Tin Cup was hoaxed because there is no gravity on the Moon.
but what if they were linked with Space String?

Abaddon
2008-Oct-21, 09:18 AM
Should this be moved to ATM under the heading "String Theory"? :lol:

I would imagine acoustic comms via the lunar surface would be rather ineffecient/work at short range only, but I am no expert on it.

Neverfly
2008-Oct-21, 10:02 AM
but what if they were linked with Space String?

It MIGHT work- as long as the string is kept dry.
Anyone know the humidity on the Moon?

Tog
2008-Oct-21, 10:34 AM
It MIGHT work- as long as the string is kept dry.
Anyone know the humidity on the Moon?

I'd have to guess 50%.

Cause when the sunlight touches it, the ground there is like 275 degrees, but s soon as the shadow hits it, it drops to 250 below zero, so that means there is really only ice or steam, and since half the moon is lit at any one time, then half must be steam and half must be ice, and 1/2 is 50%[/satire]