PDA

View Full Version : Dark Matter/BB timing?

ronin
2008-Oct-20, 02:34 AM
Reading an article recently about timing of event during the BB led me to this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Big_Bang

Something clicked when I was reading through it and I had an idea.

Posting this here rather than in ATM because while it is an off center theory I'm not asserting I'm right but want input from some bigger brains than mine, and to see if this makes sense to anyone else. So Please be kind.....

The timeline from the article trimmed down.

1st.
The Planck epoch
Up to 1043 seconds after the Big Bang
Main article: Planck epoch
If supersymmetry is correct, then during this time the four fundamental forces electromagnetism, weak nuclear force, strong nuclear force and gravitation all have the same strength, so they are possibly unified into one fundamental force.

Characterized by hyper-inflation of the new universe.

2nd
The grand unification epoch
Between 1043 seconds and 1036 seconds after the Big Bang [3]
Main article: Grand unification epoch
As the universe expands and cools from the Planck epoch, gravitation begins to separate from the fundamental gauge interactions: electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

Characterized by a sharp drop in inflation velocity, due to Gravity now having an observable effect on the new universe.

3rd
The electroweak epoch
Between 1036 seconds and 1012 seconds after the Big Bang[3]
Main article: Electroweak epoch
The temperature of the universe is low enough (1028K) to separate the strong force from the electroweak force (the name for the unified forces of electromagnetism and the weak interaction). This phase transition triggers a period of exponential expansion known as cosmic inflation. After inflation ends, particle interactions are still energetic enough to create large numbers of exotic particles, including W and Z bosons and Higgs bosons.

Okay now here's where my idea/question comes in.

From what I understand sub-atomic particles began to form between the second and third epochs. And if Gravity came into "existance" at the begining of the second epoch thus affecting the particles formed during this period to slow down expansion, Could these particles still be around today and be transparent or immune to the other three forces since they were formed Before the other forces came into effect (ie under a one "Law" universe).
And if so would'nt and leftover soup of such particles form a good explanation for Dark Matter?

Make any sense or do I need to stick to programming?

Thanks for any and all input.

Cougar
2008-Oct-20, 03:19 PM
First of all, I doubt my brain is any bigger than yours. :)

From what I understand sub-atomic particles began to form between the second and third epochs.

I'm not so sure about that. IIRC, some of my reading has indicated that the particles were generated from the energy released by the decay of the scalar inflation field, so they would have appeared at the end of inflation.

Gravity, recall, acts on energy as well as mass.