PDA

View Full Version : Hyperspace Life-forms

Plat
2003-Oct-27, 02:14 AM
Can u imagine what an alien life form in 4D+ looks like

wedgebert
2003-Oct-27, 03:24 AM
No, the human brain isn't capable of visualizing four (or more) dimensions.

Amadeus
2003-Oct-27, 12:04 PM
No, the human brain isn't capable of visualizing four (or more) dimensions.

Well.... not without chemical assistance :lol:

ToSeek
2003-Oct-27, 04:49 PM
They would make great surgeons - they could operate on us without even cutting us open.

peter channon
2003-Oct-27, 06:17 PM
We live in 4 dimensions every day so its easy(3 spacial, 1 time). I think you mean 4 spacial dimensions. :o
Pete

wedgebert
2003-Oct-27, 07:46 PM
We live in 4 dimensions every day so its easy(3 spacial, 1 time). I think you mean 4 spacial dimensions. :o
Pete

Many scientists think we live in up to 11 or 12 dimensions everyday (depending on the partiular string theory).

Plat
2003-Oct-27, 11:38 PM
nah 3D is just fine

mike alexander
2003-Oct-28, 01:27 AM
Doc Smith used this very idea in Skylark of Valeron.

Old-time space opera. Great stuff.

peter channon
2003-Oct-28, 10:41 AM
I agree there wedge. The most popular are ten spacial dimension models and i think some believe 12 spacial dimensions. These 'extra' dimensions are believed to be curled up into a "Calabi-Yau space". All pretty mind blowing stuff. Ive been reading Greenes book(actually its my second attempt :o ), the elegant universe, its real good stuff.

Pete

jokergirl
2003-Oct-28, 11:03 AM
Hm, is there another book of about that depth on String theory? I've started Greene's book, but it annoyed me because it was a little too slow for me, but maybe that was just Greene's style.
Any suggestions that don't require a PhD in physics?

;)

A.DIM
2003-Oct-28, 11:57 AM
Hyperspace by Michio Kaku is an excellent read, and mostly written in layman's (laywoman's) language.

peter channon
2003-Oct-28, 02:59 PM
Yeah Greene's style was a little annoying. It went from childish explanations to some really confusing examples to quite technical aspects all in the same chapters. The thing is though no-one really understands string theory and it is a difficult concept so i do sympathise with Greene.
Try to stick with it, ive nearly read it twice over as its that good if you are into this type of thing.

I am gonna check out, Hyperspace by Michio Kaku.

Pete