PDA

View Full Version : Midnight At The OPT Corral: Shootout Between The Celestron SkyScout and Meade MySKY

Fraser
2008-Oct-25, 03:50 PM
It's midnight on the plains of Ohio. A lone tumbleweed rolls across the backyard - or maybe it's just a black german shepherd skulking about in the starlight. A mysterious figure dressed in black steps off the deck planks and out into the open. She's come fully armed and ready to duel [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/10/25/midnight-at-the-opt-corral-shootout-between-the-celestron-skyscout-and-meade-mysky/)

2008-Oct-25, 05:14 PM
It's midnight on the plains of Ohio.

I know Fraser needs and appreciates more eyeballs going to Universe Today, but at the cost of a few cents of advertising dollars, I wanted to do a spoiler of the meaning of OPT. I went to find out what on Earth the headline meant and it wasn't worth the visit.

OPT is apparently a company, Oceanside Photo and Telescope, which provided the Meade mySky for review. It's a pistol-like device, so the author was moved to mention the "OPT Corral", on a play on the famous US western tale of Wyatt Earp and the Gunfight at the OK Corral.

Now you know. But, do visit the article if you are interested in cool astronomy gadgets.

KaiYeves
2008-Oct-25, 05:54 PM
Ha, ha! I love a good astronomy duel!

matthewota
2008-Oct-25, 06:14 PM
On my first encounter with a MySky (at an OPT event) I was struck on how much similarity it has in form to a handgun. Coming from Los Angeles, where hair trigger police work, I did not approve of the design, but approve of the concept.

In the dark, a policeman could easily mistake the gadget for a weapon....