PDA

View Full Version : Two points: I'll believe it when I see it flying at Oshkosh...

Larry Jacks
2008-Oct-27, 01:09 PM
and I want one bad! Hybrid-electric VTOL airplane (http://www.falxair.com/) design concept. A bit pricey, though. At the moment, it's little more than vaporware.

Swift
2008-Oct-27, 01:18 PM
Me want. (http://www.falxair.com/Saker_EVAC%20copy.jpg) That woud certainly make the commute faster and more fun.

JustAFriend
2008-Oct-27, 01:20 PM
Well Moller has been suckering investors for 30 years, its surprising more vaporplane companies haven't been formed.

Nice to dream with design programs like 3DStudio, but no one will tell you where they'll get the three thousand or so horsepower in a shoebox that you would ACTUALLY need to make 'em work....

PraedSt
2008-Oct-27, 01:52 PM
I note that the owner of Falx Air is a certain Mr Scott, a Brit. Which translates to a completely wacky idea that might just work brilliantly, if given enough money. So he gets my benefit of the doubt...Oshkosh in 5yrs I'll say. :)

Larry Jacks
2008-Oct-27, 02:04 PM
They're talking about a vehicle that weighs about 1500-1600 pounds. Helicopters of that weight can operate with 200 horsepower or so. Ultracapacitors can provide a surge power for up to a few minutes to allow for a quick takeoff and transition to horizontal flight.

But I'll believe it when I see it flying untethered at Oshkosh.

BigDon
2008-Oct-27, 03:37 PM
You want these common?

Well, I guess it will give doctors the practice they need to finally prefect head re-attachment procedures.

Larry Jacks
2008-Oct-27, 03:52 PM
Common, no. I want one for myself. We can start culling the herd by only letting licensed pilots fly the thing. I don't know what type of rating the FAA would require but if such a thing existed and I had the money to buy one, I'd go after the rating.

Doodler
2008-Oct-27, 06:44 PM
You want these common?

Well, I guess it will give doctors the practice they need to finally prefect head re-attachment procedures.

Every gene pool needs a proper filter.

Grashtel
2008-Oct-27, 07:23 PM
Every gene pool needs a proper filter.
The problem is that those who are being filtered out will tend to remove other people who have a significant chance of not being in need of removing.

mugaliens
2008-Oct-28, 07:55 PM
Common, no. I want one for myself. We can start culling the herd by only letting licensed pilots fly the thing. I don't know what type of rating the FAA would require but if such a thing existed and I had the money to buy one, I'd go after the rating.

The only reason Moller tethers his is because his insurance agency mandates it.

With a private pilot's license you can build anything you want with few restrictions under the experimental aircraft rules.

(ie, get the rating, first)