PDA

View Full Version : AAAAhhhhh! (thump, thump CRASH!)

BigDon
2008-Nov-03, 05:20 AM
That was the sound of my brother dragging me kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

My old grey first generation Nokia, which did everything I've wanted a phone to do and more, like not being attached to a house and remembering phone numbers for me, finally took one too many trips through the sprinkler with me two weeks ago.

Now my brother brought me a Samsung Rant.

I'm gonna need a semester course in operating this thing.

Joe Boy, I'm reconnected to the world again, but I've already missed two calls because I haven't found the "talk" button yet. Give me a couple days...

mfumbesi
2008-Nov-03, 05:50 AM
Congrats on your new toy.
I hope you don't spend more time on it than on BAUT.

novaderrik
2008-Nov-03, 06:15 AM
wouldn't it be refreshing if some company made a cell phone that was a phone first and foremost?
sure, it's nice to have a camera once in a while- like when i saw my first "Bruce Campbell for Representative" (https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo01/ca/63/cbef1bba8d14.jpeg) sign- but why would anyone want to surf the internet on a 1.5" screen?
yes, i know that there is a cell phone for senior citizen that has two button- 911 and one selected relative- but they don't give those things away and the service costs $30 a month. and you can only call those two numbers..
personally, i'd like a fully functional cell phone shaped like an old rotary dial (well, ok, push button) desktop phone that has a cigarette lighter plug for use in a car... everytime i got a call on the road, it would be like being in one of those cop shows from the early 80's..

Whirlpool
2008-Nov-03, 09:34 AM
i know that there is a cell phone for senior citizen

Are you telling the whole world that Big Don is a Senior Citizen already ? :eek:

Whirlpool
2008-Nov-03, 09:38 AM
That was the sound of my brother dragging me kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

My old grey first generation Nokia, which did everything I've wanted a phone to do and more, like not being attached to a house and remembering phone numbers for me, finally took one too many trips through the sprinkler with me two weeks ago.

Now my brother brought me a Samsung Rant.

I'm gonna need a semester course in operating this thing.

Joe Boy, I'm reconnected to the world again, but I've already missed two calls because I haven't found the "talk" button yet. Give me a couple days...

My first Phone too is Nokia but I'm now using Samsung .

BD, you new toy is not much user Friendly compare to our Old Nokia Phone .
I had the same experience when I frist bought a Samsung.

I had a hard time texting , because I'm used to Nokia's location of letters on the keypad. :doh:

Anyway , you'll soon get used to it , just don't forget to wear your Eyeglasses if you wear one .

:p

thorkil2
2008-Nov-03, 09:42 AM
Call me old-fashioned, but I can't imagine anyone whose work didn't mandate it wanting a cell phone (and work would have to be paying me a whole lot to mandate it). I hate the d__m things. Not having it connected to your house means you can take it with you--which puts you on the tether your old land line used to be on. No thanks!!!

mike alexander
2008-Nov-03, 03:36 PM
Call me old-fashioned, but I can't imagine anyone whose work didn't mandate it wanting a cell phone (and work would have to be paying me a whole lot to mandate it). I hate the d__m things. Not having it connected to your house means you can take it with you--which puts you on the tether your old land line used to be on. No thanks!!!

HEAR, HEAR! (Thumps cane on floor resoundingly). Nothing better than hearing someone take a call in the stall of the Lad's Room.

Thorkil2 and I should found an organization. Maybe: The Permanant Floating French Vanilla Ice Cream and Diathermy Society.

NEOWatcher
2008-Nov-03, 03:51 PM
wouldn't it be refreshing if some company made a cell phone that was a phone first and foremost?....
Those days seem to be over. It seems as though the trick nowadays is to make the most expensive options the easiest to access.
The money's not in the phone calls, but in the data services. I'm in that boat.
I rarely get close to my monthly plan minutes, but the phone is designed in such a way that the biggest button in the center is tied to shopping service and I get charged for a datapacket for accidentally hitting it, and there's no way to cancel. :mad:

weatherc
2008-Nov-03, 04:04 PM
Call me old-fashioned, but I can't imagine anyone whose work didn't mandate it wanting a cell phone (and work would have to be paying me a whole lot to mandate it). I hate the d__m things. Not having it connected to your house means you can take it with you--which puts you on the tether your old land line used to be on. No thanks!!!I also don't understand this dire need that so many people seem to have to be talking to someone ALL THE TIME. I could understand if most of the people doing most of the talking were teenagers, but I see plenty of adults that do nothing but talk on their cell phones... while ignoring the people that are right there in the room with them.

I never thought I'd feel old-fashioned at 35, but that's exactly how I feel.

And no, I don't have a cell phone. Nor do I want one. I'm hardly a technophobe, it's just that I like technology that makes my life simpler, more convenient, less of a hassle, and saves me money, none of which describes cell phones.

BigDon
2008-Nov-03, 04:26 PM
Thor, what I don't get at all is taking your cell phone into the loo with you.

I'll call you back.

LotusExcelle
2008-Nov-03, 04:28 PM
I was once a roommate with someone who took a landline to the loo with him. Talking to a prospective date.

it should be noted for disclosure that he lived literally in the closet. And ate Kashi. And drove a 2CV.

mugaliens
2008-Nov-03, 05:52 PM
...I've already missed two calls because I haven't found the "talk" button yet. Give me a couple days...

I don't think anyone will let someone else's phone ring for two days.

Seriously, welcome to the real world. Let me know when you're plugged in (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Matrix).

peteshimmon
2008-Nov-03, 07:12 PM
Ha! Still got my Nokia passed onto me by my
sister 5 years ago. Used very occasionally
for texts (got there safely? birthday greets
etc) But the thing started to lose charge
quickly. So my brother sent me a new battery
set. Same thing happened! Very suspicious
something was designed in for this! But after
charging or on charge can send texts. Always
in capitals, getting down to lower is a pain!

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2008-Nov-03, 07:53 PM
HEAR, HEAR! (Thumps cane on floor resoundingly). Nothing better than hearing someone take a call in the stall of the Lad's Room.

Thorkil2 and I should found an organization. Maybe: The Permanant Floating French Vanilla Ice Cream and Diathermy Society.

Also, cell phone miniaturization may have advanced to the point where the Insinkerator won't choke on them anymore.

samkent
2008-Nov-03, 08:07 PM
Cell phones, answering machines ich! They force people to respond to the worlds whims and time tables. Why do people insist upon being available? Most of the time if some one calls you, they want something. Even if it’s just information. Besides why spend an extra $40+ per month just to carry another device you have to keep track of. I barely use my answering machine. It forces you to answer to a machine! Most of the time it’s off.
Caller ID, it’s a waste of money. I answer the phone. If it’s a sales call, I hang up. Unless I’m in one of those moods. Then I’ll say “Hold on a minute”, and lay the phone on the end table. When it starts making those funny screams I’ll hang up. I remember one sales call “Hello this is bla bla home security”. I cut him off with “No thanks I have a moose” click. Moose was a 120 lb chessy retriever. But I’ll bet my answer was the high light of his night. After several years of my rudeness, I rarely get any sales calls.

megrfl
2008-Nov-03, 08:13 PM
I don't think anyone will let someone else's phone ring for two days.

Good one. :lol:

Abbadon_2008
2008-Nov-03, 08:25 PM
I've been lagging in tech upgrades for years.

---no cellphone
---waited till this year to get a laptop
---no HD cable TV
---no stereo of any kind
---no TVO
---no texting device or PDA
---no IPod

LotusExcelle
2008-Nov-03, 08:28 PM

---no cellphone
---no HD cable TV
---no stereo of any kind
---no TVO
---no IPod

As no good music has come out in ages I'll forgive you the stereo/IPod deficiency. Cable has 800 channels of nothing on. Often redundant and triple-redundant programming. (I really realized the scope of the problem when, after being away from cable for 4 years I turned on History Channel and watched a 'modern marvels' from 4 years ago.)

HenrikOlsen
2008-Nov-03, 10:47 PM
To go to the other side of the issue, I'm happy with my current phone, the buying of which meant I could dump the PDA and actually have a camera for the first time in my life.
Incidentally, people know to text me rather than call me, which means it may be a leash, but it's a long one.

mike alexander
2008-Nov-03, 11:54 PM
Also, cell phone miniaturization may have advanced to the point where the Insinkerator won't choke on them anymore.

Possibly. I'm lucky to have a thirty-year-old Maytag, and that sucker will dismember anything from a mosquito to a piece of heirloom flatware.

There weren't commercially-avialable microwave ovens when Bradbury wrote. Will one of those fry a cell phone? I'd like to have a backup, just in case.

BigDon
2008-Nov-04, 10:26 AM
Wow. It's giving me lessons on how to use it.

I'm officially future shocked.

Tobin Dax
2008-Nov-04, 06:50 PM
One of my students has a iPhone (or another brand's version maybe, if there is one). I was checking on how he was doing on his lab, and saw a scientific calculator on the screen. That surprised me a bit. I'm waiting for him to show me how to fly the Enterprise (starship, Don) with the thing.

I have a cell phone so I can use it when I'm back home. The only reason I have a camera on the phone is because it came with one. The phone was a cheap one I got when I renewed my contract. The camera is kind of neat to have, but I have no clue about how to get pictures out of the phone, if I can. All I want is a phone, anyhow. I don't need it to be anything else.

mugaliens
2008-Nov-04, 08:16 PM

---no cellphone
---no HD cable TV
---no stereo of any kind
---no TVO
---no IPod

My lack of cable TV pays for my Internet service.

My lack of TiVO pays for my stereo.

My lackof iPod (and the other stuff) frees up a lot of time to do other things.

chrissy
2008-Nov-04, 08:17 PM
I use my mobile phone as a GPS, if I get lost anywhere I call my dad who knows every road like the back of his hands here in the UK. I have done that only once. :( I am ashamed to say.
I use it for emergencies and my daughter too.
I use Motorola and she has the Samsung.

Big Bad Boo
2008-Nov-05, 05:09 AM
...The camera is kind of neat to have, but I have no clue about how to get pictures out of the phone, if I can. All I want is a phone, anyhow. I don't need it to be anything else.

If you have text messaging, you can text it to your email. Just input it where the phone number is supposed to go. That's how I get mine.

Tobin Dax
2008-Nov-05, 05:20 AM
If you have text messaging, you can text it to your email. Just input it where the phone number is supposed to go. That's how I get mine.
Thanks, Boo. I've actually tried that and it didn't work. It's okay. :)

Big Bad Boo
2008-Nov-05, 05:42 AM
Really? I'm surprised. What happened, and who's your carrier? It might be different for each one.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Nov-05, 06:31 AM
Note that, depending on your carrier, mms'ing images may cost quite a bit.

Big Bad Boo
2008-Nov-05, 06:41 AM
Not a dime on mine, but I kind of "wowed" the guy who was selling us our new plan (we were switching to Verizon), so we got a very good deal.

Gigabyte
2008-Nov-05, 02:41 PM
wouldn't it be refreshing if some company made a cell phone that was a phone first and foremost?

These phones (http://www.net10.com/phones.jsp?nextPage=&task=phonedoc&phoneNum=0&hasflash=YES&b=i) are all still just phones. No monthly bills either.

No big numbers for us old folks though.

SeanF
2008-Nov-05, 03:39 PM
These phones (http://www.net10.com/phones.jsp?nextPage=&task=phonedoc&phoneNum=0&hasflash=YES&b=i) are all still just phones. No monthly bills either.

No big numbers for us old folks though.
I use TracFone, which I believe is the same parent company as Net10. No camera, but it does do text messaging. I've received text messages on it, but have not yet been successful at sending one. Don't really want to, anyway, so it doesn't bother me too much.

I usually buy my minutes in bulk, about once a year, but what I spend works out to about $15 a month. Whenever I look at other cell phone advertisements ("Plans starting as low as $99 a month!"), I just think, "Why?!"

Oh, BTW, for those who complain about "being on a leash," etc. - just turn the dang thing off. You can always turn it on if you need to make a call (eg, your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere), but having a cell phone does not require you to be available to others wherever you are - it allows you to have other people available to you wherever you are. :)

PraedSt
2008-Nov-05, 03:59 PM
Oh, BTW, for those who complain about "being on a leash," etc. - just turn the dang thing off. You can always turn it on if you need to make a call (eg, your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere), but having a cell phone does not require you to be available to others wherever you are - it allows you to have other people available to you wherever you are. :)

Good point. But you have to be ready to face the Spanish Inquisition.

'I called you. Didn't you hear it?', 'Why didn't you answer?', 'Why have you switched your phone off?', 'Why?!', 'Why?!', 'Why?!'

Sheesh. The way some people go on, you'd think you'd just killed a puppy. :rolleyes:

SeanF
2008-Nov-05, 04:14 PM

'I called you. Didn't you hear it?', 'Why didn't you answer?', 'Why have you switched your phone off?', 'Why?!', 'Why?!', 'Why?!'

Sheesh. The way some people go on, you'd think you'd just killed a puppy. :rolleyes:
That's true. But, then, aren't those the same people who are already saying, "I needed to get hold of you last night. Why don't you have a cell phone yet? Why?! Why?! Why?!" :)

HenrikOlsen
2008-Nov-06, 05:28 AM

Another reason why I tell people to just text me, I'll get it when I turn the phone back on.

Salty
2008-Nov-06, 09:13 AM
Big Don, you're a braver man, than I. Congratulations.

I, too, was once a cell phone addict, I admit. Then, I lost the d..n thing. The main reason I had it, was to call in to radio talk shows from work. We guards are not to use the clients' telephones.

I have now been without a cell phone for about seven years. Every once in awhile, I'll look at what's on the market. I don't need nor want to pay for all the extras. All I would want is to pay for an inexpensive cell phone with no camera, texting nor games, and buy a service card each month. I had that for awhile and liked it. I had bought the ubiquitous Nokia.

What I don't understand, is how all those people who are talking or texting or game playing all the time have any battery time left. Doesn't all that run down the battery?

Whirlpool
2008-Nov-07, 04:09 AM

I had that experience when the company I worked provided me with a Mobile Phone.
Thank goodness , I'm off with that now.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/18.gif

PraedSt
2008-Nov-07, 04:24 AM
I had that experience when the company I worked provided me with a Mobile Phone.

It's nice having someone else pay the bills though isn't it? :)
Or did they go through your itemised bill?

Whirlpool
2008-Nov-07, 04:36 AM
It's nice having someone else pay the bills though isn't it? :)
Or did they go through your itemised bill?

Nope, they don't do that . It's understood that I NEED a phone as part of my Job Functions here .

It's just that , they DEMAND that I let the Cellphone ON 24/7 and that I'm reacheable 24/7 too.

Even if I'm in the shower.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/40.gif

PraedSt
2008-Nov-07, 04:43 AM
Even if I'm in the shower.

Sounds like a good time to call you :D

Whirlpool
2008-Nov-07, 04:48 AM
Actually that time , Boss got mad .

He called 3x and then sent a text saying : "You have been issued a company phone for you to be available anytime . Call me back ASAP!"

Unbelievable. :doh:

PraedSt
2008-Nov-07, 04:52 AM
What?! I can understand the calling 3x, but the text is RIDICULOUS.
Stupid boss. Glad you left.

Whirlpool
2008-Nov-07, 04:55 AM
Yep , I did.
I NEVER liked him anyway.

And I'm off with the Company Phone .
I have Peace now.
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/67.gif

HenrikOlsen
2008-Nov-07, 03:47 PM
So, did you get payed for all 24 hours per day you worked?

BigDon
2008-Nov-11, 06:03 PM

If a salaried employee, then yes. That's how they run it over here.

Whirlpool
2008-Nov-12, 11:37 AM

Nope . That's the Bad thing , they can pester even while I sleep but I don't get payed .

:doh: