PDA

View Full Version : Forget the LHC, the Aging Tevatron May Have Uncovered Some New Physics

Fraser
2008-Nov-04, 05:30 AM
If you thought any quantum discoveries would have to wait until the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is switched back on in 2009, you'd be wrong. Just because the LHC represents the next stage in particle accelerator evolution does not mean the world's established and long-running accelerator facilities have already closed shop and left town. It [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/11/03/forget-the-lhc-the-aging-tevatron-may-have-uncovered-some-new-physics/)

KaiYeves
2008-Nov-04, 02:23 PM
Weird.

sohh_fly
2008-Nov-04, 03:50 PM
so the implications of these detections will mean what in the grand scheme of things?
aren't muon particles already covered in the particle world?
or am i missing something

trinitree88
2008-Nov-04, 06:30 PM
If you thought any quantum discoveries would have to wait until the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is switched back on in 2009, you'd be wrong. Just because the LHC represents the next stage in particle accelerator evolution does not mean the world's established and long-running accelerator facilities have already closed shop and left town. It [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/11/03/forget-the-lhc-the-aging-tevatron-may-have-uncovered-some-new-physics/)

Fraser. It's most likely Z's with a mass of ~994 Mev/c2... That'd give it enough mass to be a Kaon/Antikaon pair,(~497 Mev each) and when they decay cascade through pions, they make transient muons. The article says the resonance is ~ a Gev/ c 2, which is ~1000 Mev/c2They should find evidence of pions in the interim trip if this is the case, and neutral Kaons can give delayed decays, so they should show up further out if they search there too. Won't be new physics if this is the case. Always interesting to find unusual "stuff". pete

Z's can masquerade as many different particle/antiparticle pairs, and since they're neutral, can pass through lots of charged stuff.

Michael Noonan
2008-Nov-04, 07:32 PM
The first question I have would be from what direction are the detectors recording the extra muons, from the Universe Today article:-

Too many muons were being generated by the collisions, and muons were popping into existence outside the beam pipe…

The reason I will give is if it is from the outside then a connected reality would support a larger field at higher power levels. I am curious regarding this new discovery and hope it is a great result for science.