PDA

View Full Version : DS9 is such a treat to watch.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2008-Nov-04, 03:28 PM
DS9 is such a treat to watch. I started watching it again on Space here in Canada and I've come to the conclusion that it had the best character driven episodes of all the series....it was just so rich. Marc Alaimo as Gul Dukat was just so gleefully bad....I found that the worst episodes of DS9 were at least on par with the best eps. of Voyager (slam intentional)....and the sfx seemed so much better (did they still use models?).

LotusExcelle
2008-Nov-04, 03:51 PM
the DS9 itself was a model, yes. As far as other ships I would imagine they were too. Remember how old that series is. As far as I *know* Babylon 5 was the only series using exclusively CG space/effects shots. I don't think anything on that show was models.

DS9 had many strong point. But it seems to still be a kind of dark horse in the realm of Trek. my personal ranking would go like this:

TNG
Original
DS9
Enterprise
Voyager

But I'd also rank Farscape, SG-1, and B5 as better overall than all but TNG.

AKONI
2008-Nov-05, 02:31 PM
I agree. It definitly had the most character driven stories. Very well done and very entertaiing. I also enjoyed the slightly darker edge it had over the other Star Trek shows.

novaderrik
2008-Nov-06, 11:09 AM
i've still not seen the series finale of DS9- when it originally aired, we had a thunderstorm roll thru and kill the power at about the halfway point of the episode, and i've not seen it since.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2008-Nov-06, 11:46 AM
the finale was a let down....but you can be the judge of that when you do get see it

Jason Thompson
2008-Nov-06, 12:05 PM
the sfx seemed so much better (did they still use models?).

Deep Space 9 used models for five of its seven seasons, only moving over to CGI exclusively for the final 2, since these often required extensive battle scenes involving whole fleets of ships, which could not easily be achieved with models on a TV show budget. CGI did start to be used earlier in the run, the Defiant being the first to be heavily animated using CGI to demonstrate its great manoeuvrability when compared to other ships. The first really heavy use of CGI models came in the season 6 episodes 'Favor The Bold' and 'Sacrifice Of Angels', with the clash of two massive fleets in a battle to regain DS9. The station itself remained a model throughout the run, but since it didn't have to do very much and there was a wide library of shots of the station from various angles and motions this was hardly a problem.

Jim
2008-Nov-06, 05:04 PM
i've still not seen the series finale of DS9- when it originally aired, we had a thunderstorm roll thru and kill the power at about the halfway point of the episode, and i've not seen it since.

They all die. But don't let me spoil it for you.

:liar:

LotusExcelle
2008-Nov-06, 05:08 PM
Does the ship sink?

Tobin Dax
2008-Nov-06, 06:28 PM
Does the ship sink?
Just once.

cinder
2008-Nov-07, 08:35 AM
Ahh, my kind of thread. ;)

I love DS9. It over took the other Treks as my favorite a few years ago when Spike TV started playing them over and over.

The characters are great and the story is darker and deeper than the other Trek series (6x19 - "In the Pale Moonlight" ...wow).

parallaxicality
2008-Nov-07, 10:28 AM
It's interesting to see what each of the Trek archons did after the shows ended. Ronald D Moore (who contributed heavily to DS9) went on to create Battlestar Galactica; Brannon Braga (who focused mostly on the final seasons of TNG and the early seasons of Voyager) went on to create Threshold. Kinda says it all really.

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Nov-12, 07:25 PM
Some issues that DS9 went into unlike other treks were the politics of the Federation and member worlds, Starfleet during war, and the darker side of the Federation. It helps paint a better more complete version of the future. The other Treks are great too but thet are all here one moment and off to the next star system for the episode.