PDA

View Full Version : Airing dirty laundry - why?

Nadme
2008-Nov-06, 08:54 PM
Maureen McCormick of The Brady Bunch fame ["Marcia"] recently published a tell-all book. I've not read it and likely won't.

She divulged a lot of very private personal information which shatters her "goody two-shoes Marcia Brady" image permanently. As if many of us thought she likely was the angelic Marcia in real life [who is?]. :doh:

Why?

The reasons could be: For money and attention. To help others battling similar personal ills . Hopefully it's the latter.

But I don't quite understand this drive on the part of some celebrities to seemingly wish to prove they're "bad...[i]really bad; wow, if you only knew me in real life!" :confused: It almost seems arrogant in a way; this isn't 1955 anymore. It seems a very negative sort of "herd following" Hollywood behavior.

Any thoughts on this?

PraedSt
2008-Nov-06, 08:57 PM
I'd always go with this:

The reasons could be: For money and attention

Fazor
2008-Nov-06, 09:16 PM
A very comical example is Jose Canseco's "Juiced" or whatever, where he "tells all" about his and others steroid abuse!

Lots of attention. Major contributor to the MLB hearings. Lots of players hated him. But now that players were officially listed by the hearing comittee, the season's ended, and the attention has died off, he comes out and says "Oh! Oh! Look at me! I feel bad! I should never have called players out! Look at meeeeeeee!!!"

But I'll always love the big oaf because of this play (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/home-run-off-head/3459289490). (Go Tribe!)

Swift
2008-Nov-06, 09:34 PM
Why?

The reasons could be: For money and attention.
I don't know, but that would be my guess. And they are not mutually exclusive.

Nadme
2008-Nov-06, 09:36 PM
I'm not familiar with Mr. Canseco (though name is familiar), but I definitely see your point. There's such little class and dignity these days.

Another "steam" was Barry Williams' tell-all in the early '90s. I read a few excerpts upon initial press release and have heard bits/pieces from interviews with him. I'm not a big Brady Bunch fan (believe it or not; McCormick and Williams are merely very good examples), but I really didn't need to know that Robert Reed hated the show and his character, picked petty fights with Sherwood Schwartz; etc. Reed was very good in that role and all those disclosures...it was a betrayal and ruins the show's ambience.

timb
2008-Nov-06, 09:37 PM
I'd always go with this:

And what's wrong with that? being a writer is just another profession. People do it for money.

Studioguy
2008-Nov-06, 11:02 PM
Even better is that Canseco is (or has) done another book where he "tells even more!" Kind of takes the edge off his first "tell all" book, don't you think? Either he left out some important stuff from the first book in order to have something for the follow-up, or he cherry-picked who he would expose in the first book, or the second book will be full of petty crap that nobody cared about in the first place, or maybe he's just making stuff up at this point trying to make a little money.

I guess it's understandable when people like him hit the bottom and can't participate in their chosen career field anymore; especially if that career field was very public. It's not as though he can get a job at Cosco (Welcome to Cosco, I love you) to make ends meet. Without his high salary to support his high-end lifestyle, things probably got pretty tight pretty quick. I suppose telling stories to a ghost-writer and getting a check could look pretty darn tempting. I'll never be famous enough to know about any of that though.

Whirlpool
2008-Nov-07, 01:44 AM
Without his high salary to support his high-end lifestyle, things probably got pretty tight pretty quick.

This sounds familiar lately .... :think:

PraedSt
2008-Nov-07, 02:23 AM
And what's wrong with that? being a writer is just another profession. People do it for money.

Absolutely nothing! Especially the 'money' part. The 'attention' part I don't quite relate to, but that's just a personal thing. Thou shalt not blow your own trumpet. :)

Delvo
2008-Nov-07, 02:54 AM
I see it as just a small negative part of a bigger picture, a part of human nature that's mostly either just okay/fine or even good (as a major part of human social interaction, group cohesion, and sharing of learned lessons). These books are usually about what their authors felt to be important personal emotional events and turning points in their lives, and the big general rule is that people like to talk about stuff that feels important to them. Sometimes we can overdo it and end up blathering to people who aren't as fascinated or emotionally involved in it as we are, but that's not attention-seeking; it's just talking about something that's on our minds.

You've probably all done it yourselves. I can think of an example of holding myself back from doing it recently because I knew it wouldn't be as big of a deal to my audience as it was to me, but that doesn't change the fact that some part of me strangely wanted to blather about the subject that was on my mind anyway. We've all seen lots of examples of people on the internet starting threads on personal stuff that nobody else at that forum had asked about. It's such a common phenomenon that our language has words and phrases for it such as "catharsis" and "getting something off of one's chest" and "I just need to talk about this". And it isn't always about anything "dirty", but there's no particular reason why it needs not to be.

timb
2008-Nov-07, 03:47 AM
Absolutely nothing! Especially the 'money' part. The 'attention' part I don't quite relate to, but that's just a personal thing. Thou shalt not blow your own trumpet. :)

It's not to my taste either but in modern US culture being a celebrity is apparently lucrative. If a celebrity finds themselves neglected they have to do something to raise their profile.

Nadme
2008-Nov-07, 12:59 PM
The main thing is, once this information is out there -- it's out there for all time.

I adhere to "a good name is rather to be chosen than gold or precious jewels." I don't understand people who don't care about their reputations.

Other celebrities have written memoirs which have dashes of scandal in them, but handled a whole lot more tastefully.

PraedSt
2008-Nov-07, 05:40 PM
Maybe we should be looking at ourselves. If we weren't so celebrity and scandal obsessed, there would be less scope to make money off it. I blame Big Brother (the Dutch) and Pop Idol (the Brits) for creating this fine mess. :D

Disinfo Agent
2008-Nov-07, 06:19 PM
Well, for some reason such books seem to be popular.
I don't care for them, personally. They can keep their dirty laundry for themselves. I already have my hands full with my own. :D

But you forgot about the most likely reason for "tell-all" books: revenge. :evil:

jj_0001
2008-Nov-07, 06:29 PM
To answer the OP:

"To make money"

mugaliens
2008-Nov-07, 10:00 PM
I've not read it and likely won't.

Then:

But I don't quite understand this drive on the part of some celebrities to seemingly wish to prove they're "bad...really bad; wow, if you only knew me in real life!" :confused: It almost seems arrogant in a way; this isn't 1955 anymore. It seems a very negative sort of "herd following" Hollywood behavior.

Any thoughts on this?

I think that before you hint in public that she's got a bad-girl drive you should read her book. If that is, in fact, what she's doing, more power to you. If not, then you've maligned someone who had good intentions.

PraedSt
2008-Nov-07, 10:08 PM
I think that before you hint in public that she's got a bad-girl drive you should read her book. If that is, in fact, what she's doing, more power to you. If not, then you've maligned someone who had good intentions.

1. She does say this (my bold)
The reasons could be: For money and attention. To help others battling similar personal ills [I overcame/you can too]. Hopefully it's the latter.

2. She was referring to celebrities in general
But I don't quite understand this drive on the part of some celebrities to seemingly wish to prove they're "bad...really bad; wow, if you only knew me in real life!"

3. Give it a rest Mugs.

Kebsis
2008-Nov-08, 04:08 AM
Because she's trying to sell a book, and people need to want to buy it for it to sell.