PDA

View Full Version : Probability chart?

mirid
2008-Nov-09, 03:31 PM
I'm writing a paper about astronomical catastrophes, and needless to say Death from the Skies would've been a great asset in my writing. However, I haven't been able to get my hand on a copy yet (I'm in Sweden).

I did see, though, a chart of some (seven or eight-ish) different phenomena that could very well kill us (gamma ray bursts, meteor impacts, all that stuff) and their respective probabilities of actually happening. It was an image file, and I think it was on either BadAstronomy or Universe Today, but now I can't find it.

If any of you know the link, or copy it straight out of the book - or whatever, I'd be very full of grates.

2008-Nov-09, 04:46 PM
It was an image file, and I think it was on either BadAstronomy or Universe Today, but now I can't find it.

You might have gotten there from those sources: Discover Magazine: Ten Ways the World Will End (http://discovermagazine.com/2008/nov/28-ten-ways-the-world-will-end)

It's just a text table, though, not an image.

event / damage / odds of fatality per lifetime / preventable?
[...]
Table reprinted by arrangement with Viking, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc., from DEATH FROM THE SKIES! Philip Plait, Ph.D., 2008

mirid
2008-Nov-09, 04:50 PM
Oh, my bad. Yes that's the one. Thanks a bunch!