PDA

View Full Version : It's coming! It's coming! That trailer!...

Mr. X
2003-Nov-01, 06:25 AM
That's right, it's coming!

ALIEN VS. PREDATOR THAT IS! IT'S COMING ON AUGUST 6TH 2004!

Says who? Says the trailer before Alien: Director's cut, that's who!

I'm going to go buy my ticket soon!

Will I just take anything on which they slap the alien or predator name? Why yes, yes I will!

To loyal, mindless, insane fans!

6th of August should become a holiday known as AVP day!

NASA Fan
2003-Nov-01, 01:38 PM
You need a "Who Cares!" or "so?" option.

I don't mean it as meanly as that sounds, but I just have no desire to see that kind of movie.

Firefox
2003-Nov-01, 03:21 PM
Being a fan of the franchise, I'll probably go see it. Aside from being a really bad idea for a movie (think Freddy vs. Jason), it's pandering to the notion that aliens built the pyramids. I know, from Predator 2, that they had been on Earth for a fairly long time, but I had no indication they had visited *that* long ago.

Adam

Mr. X
2003-Nov-01, 04:15 PM
Being a fan of the franchise, I'll probably go see it.
Probably? Oh you will. You WILL!

The alien from alien built pyramids? I doubt the alien can build anything at all.

Is there anyone else who feels that it would have been very cool if they could have elaborated a little on what the hell was that race, the huge animal that sent the warning message and that the Nostromo found. I'd really like to know what they were (or it was because as far as we can tell there's only one).

Firefox
2003-Nov-01, 04:24 PM
The alien from alien built pyramids? I doubt the alien can build anything at all.

The Predators, actually. What I've heard indicates that the Aztecs are the primary civilization portrayed in the film that had a relationship with the Predators. Of course, the Aztec civilization is no older than a century pre-Columbus, but still, there's the "aliens helped build the pyramids" part that annoys me.

Adam

Mr. X
2003-Nov-01, 04:37 PM
I've heard the uncovered "things" were in antarctica!!

Starbuck
2003-Nov-01, 05:34 PM
the "aliens helped build the pyramids" part that annoys me.

Adam

It's more Paul Anderson referencing Von Danniken than anything that gets me.

What uncovered Antarctic "Things"? The Thing from Another World (http://imdb.com/title/tt0044121/)?! the race from Alien 1 were the Space Jockeys, and references in the film indicated the ship had crashed there thousands, if not millions, of years before the Nostromo got there, meaning they significantly predate humans and Predators. I think the point was, they were big, powerful, but the Aliens wiped em off the face of the universe. That's a big More Scary in my book.

Humphrey
2003-Nov-01, 07:07 PM
Mr. X.: Enjoy (http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/)

:D 8)

P.S. the director in the behind the scenes footage actually says he believes Von Daniken!!! AAARRRGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. X
2003-Nov-01, 07:23 PM
What uncovered Antarctic "Things"? The Thing from Another World (http://imdb.com/title/tt0044121/)?!
No... I mean in what I read of AVP whatever they find they were supposed to find in antarctica, or so I read.

the race from Alien 1 were the Space Jockeys, and references in the film indicated the ship had crashed there thousands, if not millions, of years before the Nostromo got there, meaning they significantly predate humans and Predators. I think the point was, they were big, powerful, but the Aliens wiped em off the face of the universe. That's a big More Scary in my book.
Ok... I'm going to look into this space jockeys thing.

Humphrey
2003-Nov-01, 08:25 PM
Mr. X: watch the behind the scens video in the link i give. IT tells the story of the movie!! :-)

Basically the Predators built the pyramids and put the alien species there as hunting game. Every so often 5 juvenile Preds come down to challenge the Aliens.
The movie takes place modern day where scientists find a pyramid under Antartic ice and find preds and aliens fighting in there.

Sever
2003-Nov-02, 12:35 AM
Its PG-13 too, RUN AWAY!!

Tuckerfan
2003-Nov-02, 09:18 AM
Being a fan of the franchise, I'll probably go see it. Aside from being a really bad idea for a movie (think Freddy vs. Jason), it's pandering to the notion that aliens built the pyramids. I know, from Predator 2, that they had been on Earth for a fairly long time, but I had no indication they had visited *that* long ago.

AdamIn his commentary for the first one, Ridley Scott says that his idea was for the spaceship where Ripley & Co. find the alien to be like an aircraft carrier or troop transport, with the aliens being the troops or air craft. The big dead alien was the pilot of the ship on a mission to dump the eggs on some planet (the idea being that the aliens would run amok, kill everything and then their creators would show up, flip a switch or something so they'd die and then have absolute control of the planet), who was killed when one of the nasty buggers got loose. IMHO, that'd make for a much better movie than what Fox is giving us.

Tito_Muerte
2003-Nov-02, 10:03 AM
www.apple.com/trailers

has a bunch of videos on the side, including some behind the scene stuff for AVP that some of you may have already seen.... (and they had the teaser trailer up there awhile ago too)

Mojo_the_Mi-Go
2003-Nov-03, 05:38 AM
I'm excited and plan to see the movie, but I hate the whole thing where humans are bugs and our whole existence is determined by strokes of luck. As in our existence with Aliens and the preditors, both could conquer/exterminate us but its strokes of luck and THEIR decisions that it doesn't come about. I like it when we fight full on wars and win, I would liek to see a preditors movie where at the end; the head honcho preditor has to sign a peace treaty and or Earth will conquer them. And yes, Independence Day is my favorite sci fi movie.

Reacher
2003-Nov-03, 08:53 AM
Yeah, a movie about us putting the beat down on some aliens on a large scale would be pretty sweet. Starship-Troopers style, but with a more Halo touch would be absolutely excellent.

Jobe
2003-Nov-03, 09:02 AM
Yeah, a movie about us putting the beat down on some aliens on a large scale would be pretty sweet. Starship-Troopers style, but with a more Halo touch would be absolutely excellent.

I have to disagree here.

The whole point of aliens is that they are scary and if we aren't careful will end up helpless to their slathering, acid-dripping telescopic jaws.

What made the Alien series stand out from all the other scifi dross was its dark Giger influenced imagery and unwillingness to compromise the atmosphere with some lame feel-good "Yeehaw, we done and gone kick the aliens butt, Jimbo!" ending.

Reacher
2003-Nov-03, 09:45 AM
Excellent point.

I guess I wasn't referring soley (is that even a word?) to Alien, or Predator, though a large-scale Predator war would be cool. I meant any alien foe, just not as Starship-Troopery as Starship Troopers. I wish we knew more about the history of the aliens.

I can't see the Predators building their ships on their own. Can you imagine a Predator scientist? Perhaps they got outside help.

eburacum45
2003-Nov-03, 10:50 AM
Humanity as we are nowadays would not stand a real chance against an advanced alien like the Predator species; the Alien parasite species are different, some sort of genetic warfare accident, and once again we would not stand a chance.

The way Humanity prevailed in Independence day was absurd, really; no sensible advanced warlike race would put all its eggs in one basket like that.
The only way Humans could win against such advanced species of unknown intent is by becoming as advanced ourselves; humanity could breed our own advanced genetic warriors and build killer robots in a few centuries; we would need to become monsters to defend ourselves.

In fact this may happen without any alien threat; as Humanity colonises different worlds it will diversify, and the different types of humanity may soon be caught up in various kinds of arms races to protect themselves against each other.

HenrikOlsen
2003-Nov-03, 12:15 PM
I can't see the Predators building their ships on their own. Can you imagine a Predator scientist? Perhaps they got outside help.
Such as other members of the species who aren't huntingfreaks?

Take a look at your average weekend hunter and ask yourself if he could build the equipment he's using.

Mojo_the_Mi-Go
2003-Nov-03, 10:49 PM
Humanity as we are nowadays would not stand a real chance against an advanced alien like the Predator species...

I'm not talking about NOW, I'm talking anout a point and time in the future, near where the books are written. Lucy Liu could play Machiko, and it could focus on her leading a special forces team. I think it would bug be if they didn't even atleast reference to Machiko's character. OH, and a climatic fight scene with the hero wielding a Katana against a Preditor General.

But over all, it would have to be more dark then Star Ship Troopers.

Jpax2003
2003-Nov-04, 12:28 AM
By the way, Aug 6th already has a special meaning. It's Hiroshima Day. probably coincidence that it's the release date for an Alien-Predator grudgematch.

As for Starship Troopers, even it was too Starship Troopery. I hope they make it into a movie, again. and get it right this time.

How about Starship Troopers v. Predator, or better yet, Starship Troopers v. Aliens? But this time the SST are in their armored suits.

That'd be sweet!

Ilya
2003-Nov-04, 01:04 AM
I'm excited and plan to see the movie, but I hate the whole thing where humans are bugs and our whole existence is determined by strokes of luck. As in our existence with Aliens and the preditors, both could conquer/exterminate us but its strokes of luck and THEIR decisions that it doesn't come about. I like it when we fight full on wars and win, I would liek to see a preditors movie where at the end; the head honcho preditor has to sign a peace treaty and or Earth will conquer them. And yes, Independence Day is my favorite sci fi movie.

I take it you are not a fan of H.P. Lovecraft :)

I must say I LIKE stories where Universe is filled with huge incomprehensible impersonal forces, and humans are mice in the walls. My absolute favorite SF is Greg Benford's "Galactic Center" series, which plays this idea to the hilt. So does Roger McBride Allen's "The Hunted Earth" duology. (Is that a real word?) My favorite role-playing game (to play, not to DM) is "Call of Cthulhu" based on Lovecraft's stories -- where sanity is only possible for the ignorant. The more a player character learns about how the Universe really operates, the more unstable he gets; final acceptance of humanity's true place in the food chain is tantamount to irreversible insanity.

BTW such stories need not be all doom and gloom -- in Benford's series humans are as persistent and ineradicable as, well, mice, and in "The Hunted Earth" humanity escapes destruction by insinuating itself into an immensely more powerful alien entity as, basically, a symbiont. Dialog from last page, quoted from memory:

"But we did not help the Sphere because we like it. We did it to save ourselves."

"Well, that's what all good symbionts do, isn't it? Protecting their host in order to protect themselves."

Mojo_the_Mi-Go
2003-Nov-04, 01:31 AM
I take it you are not a fan of H.P. Lovecraft

:o How DARE you!!!!!!! Liar, fiend, libeling slanderer! :evil:

Kidding. :lol: Lovecraft did his stories SO well, I just don't feel the need for any of his stories to have a grandious Humanity.

For those of you not in the joke, a Mi-Go is a type of alien of H. P. Lovecraft's alien. Most notabley found in Whisperer in the Darkness.

Jobe
2003-Nov-04, 01:41 AM
So does Roger McBride Allen's "The Hunted Earth" duology. (Is that a real word?)

No :wink: