PDA

View Full Version : Meteor sightings in the news

NEOWatcher
2008-Nov-14, 03:58 PM
I'm not sure if this is deserving a new thread, but I couldn't find an existing one that quite fit. So; here's a thread to accumulate the minor stories.

Suspected Lake County plane crash may have been meteor (http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=100930&provider=top)

Reports Thursday afternoon of a bright light and trail of smoke in the sky and a separate call about a crashing sound in Lake County northeast of Cleveland sparked a search that involved three helicopters, several police and fire departments and the State Highway Patrol.

I'd like to know how they went from ultralight to meteor.

Is it a reasonable assumption that the crash might have been a sonic boom, or a disintigration high enough up?

It's good they interviewed an expert on meteors... A township Police Sgt.

Edit: I found the story on 4 seperate media outlets. All exactly the same except for one had pictures...In case you want to see what an ambulance and and a pickup look like.

jlhredshift
2008-Nov-14, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure if this is deserving a new thread, but I couldn't find an existing one that quite fit. So; here's a thread to accumulate the minor stories.

Suspected Lake County plane crash may have been meteor (http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=100930&provider=top)

I'd like to know how they went from ultralight to meteor.

Is it a reasonable assumption that the crash might have been a sonic boom, or a disintigration high enough up?

It's good they interviewed an expert on meteors... A township Police Sgt.

Edit: I found the story on 4 seperate media outlets. All exactly the same except for one had pictures...In case you want to see what an ambulance and and a pickup look like.

The story says Madison, that would be where I live. All I can say, since I was at work, it didn't hit my farm. The cows, chickens, cats, and dogs are all OK and the buildings are unaffected.

I'd love to find a crater in the front yard.

"OK, get the backhoe, we're going to dig space rock."

NEOWatcher
2008-Nov-14, 05:46 PM
The story says Madison, that would be where I live.
Oh yeah, I thought I saw "Madison" in somebody's profile.

Cool; now you have a task for the weekend... Gather some more detail.

jlhredshift
2008-Nov-14, 06:12 PM
Oh yeah, I thought I saw "Madison" in somebody's profile.

Cool; now you have a task for the weekend... Gather some more detail.

I'll ask around, including all six of the Madison Police.

Are you east side or west side.

NEOWatcher
2008-Nov-14, 06:17 PM
I'll ask around, including all six of the Madison Police.
Great; ask the sarge where his vast knowledge of meteor strikes comes from. :lol:

Are you east side or west side.
Are those my only two choices? Northern Summit.

jlhredshift
2008-Nov-14, 06:19 PM
Great; ask the sarge where his vast knowledge of meteor strikes comes from. :lol:

Are those my only two choices? Northern Summit.

OK, I was going by your Avatar.