PDA

View Full Version : Deep Impact = Dumbest movie ever

Duane534
2003-Nov-02, 03:19 AM
OK. We're watching this movie "Deep Impact" in Spanish class. So far, we've only watched about 20 minutes, but I can already see where it's going. Here's my main bugs so far:

TWO YEARS before impact, an astronomer in an observatory can trace the orbit of a NEW comet after ONE SIGHTING and determine it will hit the Earth (by looking at some apparently memorized coordinates), with his handy dandy PC. I about fell out of my seat laughing at this scene.

He can't instantly communicate it out (due to some email problem), so he logically races down the highway to tell someone, but gets in a wreck and dies. (Like 20 minutes will make that big a difference)

Oh, yeah. He NEVER TRIES TO PHONE IT IN.

Grr... And, they got a bunch of numbers that sound wrong, but I'll leave that stuff for The Bad Astronomer. I don't know if I can watch any more of this. If a highschool student can see it, it should have never made it off a desk in Hollywood.

Duane534
2003-Nov-02, 03:21 AM
LOL! How about that. He already has seen it and reviewed it. Hmm...

Duane534
2003-Nov-02, 03:23 AM
TWO YEARS before impact, an astronomer in an observatory can trace the orbit of a NEW comet after ONE SIGHTING and determine it will hit the Earth (by looking at some apparently memorized coordinates), with his handy dandy PC. I about fell out of my seat laughing at this scene.

Oh, yeah. By this time, it's bright enough to be confused as a star. Two years before it gets here? It must be a BIG comet. :wink:

mbjvx
2003-Nov-02, 03:54 AM
I'd ask why you're watching it in Spanish class... but... ok never mind, I'll ask why you're watching it in Spanish class.

Why?

Duane534
2003-Nov-02, 03:55 AM
Spanish subtitles... :D

Humphrey
2003-Nov-02, 03:57 AM
I saw the Jetsons movie in spanish class. It helps you to learn the converstional part of the language.

Duane534
2003-Nov-02, 03:59 AM
We learn stuff like meirda y pendejo. :lol:

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Nov-02, 04:39 AM
I will remind everyone that there is a website attached to this bulletin board (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/di2.html). 8)

Duane534
2003-Nov-02, 05:07 AM
Sorry. Wouldn't want to steal your thunder. :wink:

NASA Fan
2003-Nov-02, 05:35 AM
Spanish subtitles... :D

I curious, does anyone really in your class really read the sub-titles? I could kindof understand it if you watched it dubbed in Spanish.

nexus
2003-Nov-02, 05:52 AM
In my Spanish class we watched dubbed movies with english subtitles :D

Humphrey
2003-Nov-02, 05:59 AM
Yah our Jetson's movie was actually made for Spanish classes. IT spoke in spanish and had the spanish words on the bottom of the screen.

darkhunter
2003-Nov-02, 11:50 AM
Ya'll got subtitles? In the Spanish class I took years ago in school we watched El Cid in Spanish, no subtitles....

Duane534
2003-Nov-02, 05:36 PM
I watch the subtitles. Before that, we did watch "El Mariachi". That's Spanish with English subtitles. That was cool.

waynek
2003-Nov-02, 07:58 PM
We didn't get to watch any movies when I took Spanish. I want a refund! :evil:

I'll go out on a limb here and defend Hollywood for a minute. I think it's pretty clear that the pacing and dramatic tension would have bit the dust if that scene had been done hyper-realistically. Overall, I think they got many essential elements right, and you have to expect that entertainment value will always trump realism in this sort of movie.

man on the moon
2003-Nov-02, 10:04 PM
Ya'll got subtitles? In the Spanish class I took years ago in school we watched El Cid in Spanish, no subtitles....

we did too, but not so many years ago. well, i guess it was my freshman year of high school. gee, that was...

*counts on his fingers*

:o

7 (seven...) years ago. guess i'm older than i thought.

good stuff though, i enjoyed it. :)

darkhunter
2003-Nov-02, 10:17 PM

we did too, but not so many years ago. well, i guess it was my freshman year of high school. gee, that was...

*counts on his fingers*

:o

7 (seven...) years ago. guess i'm older than i thought.

good stuff though, i enjoyed it. :)

Young 'un.... :D (16 for my freshman year...)

Jobe
2003-Nov-03, 04:08 AM
Deep Impact was awful. I can't believe I sat through all of it. After a while the only reason I kept watching was so that I could see all of the characters I'd learned to hate so much die.

Duane534
2003-Nov-04, 12:20 AM
Yeah, me, too. :lol:

I hope the mission fails horribly and the comet kills all the dumb people (English and Spanish) that choked down this movie.

Jobe
2003-Nov-04, 02:23 AM
Yeah, me, too. :lol:

I hope the mission fails horribly and the comet kills all the dumb people (English and Spanish) that choked down this movie.

Hehe, I have a t-shirt with that binary joke in your sig, as sad as it is to admit.

Duane534
2003-Nov-11, 01:44 AM
Can I have it? :D

Oh, yeah. I also didn't like how they threw around Metric AND English units. Er... No. NASA uses Metric. The Russians sure use Metric. The only time English units come in are when NASA contracts stuff out out to lesser groups (thus leading to probes crashing, etc.).

Colt
2003-Nov-11, 05:01 AM
We watch The Simpsons, Toy Story and other things related to such in German class, no subtitles in English.

Oh, and we're occasionally tortured with Muzzi. *shudders* -Colt

jrkeller
2003-Nov-11, 05:40 AM
Oh, yeah. I also didn't like how they threw around Metric AND English units. Er... No. NASA uses Metric. The Russians sure use Metric. The only time English units come in are when NASA contracts stuff out out to lesser groups (thus leading to probes crashing, etc.).

Actually, NASA still uses the English system. The official word is that NASA will start using the metric system on the next major project (after the space station). That makes a lot of sense. Let's not use the metric system when we have a project with international partners.

Iain Lambert
2003-Nov-11, 08:15 AM
To be fair, there is an arguable case for Armageddon being more dumb than Deep Impact, but I find it less offensive. Deep Impact makes so many horrible mistakes and yet still likes to pretend that it is serious drama, while Armageddon's innacuracies are presented in the 'hey, and if you think that is silly, wait until you see what Bruce Willis is about to do now!' attitude, where its all just too daft to worry.

AstroSmurf
2003-Nov-11, 09:03 AM
Well, I'll say that I thought Deep Impact was less offensive than [bad movie deleted]. At least they made an effort to get things right, rather than going 'who cares, make something up'. There was considerably less of 'all scientists are wusses, ignore all they say' too.

Iain Lambert
2003-Nov-11, 11:24 AM
Yes, but said movie, by doing that, is making it abundantly clear that it is a silly action movie, and scientific errors can be filed next to 'how come they can dodge those asteroids when any normal pilot would be pancaked over them in short order?'

Deep Impact's seriousness implies that we are meant to believe they've taken their science seriously as well, which they clearly haven't.

Duane534
2003-Nov-11, 01:15 PM
How dare you hijack my thread with such a vulgar science movie! :lol:

I always thought that the Martian landers crashed because NASA used Metric units during approach and whoever made and programmed some part of it had used English measurements, thus it barreled into Mars. Maybe I had it backwards or something.

*will use this as an excuse to use pints and tablespoons in his science class* :wink: