PDA

View Full Version : What if I get banned and they forget to tell me?

Veeger
2008-Nov-17, 02:04 AM
I have my login set to be persistent so I never have to actually "log in"; but some mornings, I have this strange urge to check the BAUT Banned Posters Log to make sure I wasn't banned and didn't know it. Its weird. The "attrition" rate here makes me paranoid.

Nowhere Man
2008-Nov-17, 02:42 AM
You only have to worry about getting banned if you break the rules. Been warned lately?

I would expect that, if you were banned, your account would be logged out. Thus, when you try to log in, you get the message that you are out of luck.

As I've never been banned, the above is speculative.

Fred

Veeger
2008-Nov-17, 02:54 AM
I always check that log when it has a new post but why? I rarely participate in anything controversial except allowed topics though occasionally I make a post that gives me second thoughts.

I've never had a problem or warning, but I'm developing this kind of "nervous tick". I sometimes find myself thinking, "what if I was banned during the night?"

Nowhere Man
2008-Nov-17, 03:09 AM
I check the log to see who's made a fool of themselves this time. I don't post much but I read a lot, and I get a bit of vicarious satisfaction when I see that a particularly infuriating member is now an ex-member.

Don't worry about getting banned. Paranoia can be a healthy mindset, but only when they actually are out to get you.

Fred

mike alexander
2008-Nov-17, 03:32 AM
You were banned for about twelve hours a few weeks ago. Should I have mentioned it?

sarongsong
2008-Nov-17, 03:37 AM
What if I get banned and they forget to tell me?They don't "tell you"; you just find out. :)

Veeger
2008-Nov-17, 03:54 AM
They don't "tell you"; you just find out. :)

And one day, I'll wake up dead. :lol:

Chuck
2008-Nov-17, 03:58 AM
If I don't visit very often and get banned for a day I might not find out about it. I don't check the banned members thread very often.

Veeger
2008-Nov-17, 04:09 AM
You were banned for about twelve hours a few weeks ago. Should I have mentioned it?

If I don't visit very often and get banned for a day I might not find out about it.

I was banned for a while? Sorry, I was out of town for a few days, I didn't know.

(I'm going to bed now, but tomorrow I will check if that little box at the top of the page still says, "Welcome, Veeger.")

Selenite
2008-Nov-17, 05:16 AM
I always check that log when it has a new post but why? I rarely participate in anything controversial except allowed topics though occasionally I make a post that gives me second thoughts.

I've never had a problem or warning, but I'm developing this kind of "nervous tick". I sometimes find myself thinking, "what if I was banned during the night?"

But then you start a thread certain to pique a moderator's curiosity. ;)

Apparently banning does wonders for your literary aspirations. They keep having banned author sales at my local book store. Beats being a dead artist as a career move.

novaderrik
2008-Nov-17, 07:05 AM
if i was to get banned from here- most likely for not putting in big "i's" where they belong, which i know bugs some people- i'd still read the threads, and then go to one of the car related forums and do some posting there.
just like before i ever joined the BABB way back when..

Paracelsus
2008-Nov-17, 09:18 AM
I have my login set to be persistent so I never have to actually "log in"; but some mornings, I have this strange urge to check the BAUT Banned Posters Log to make sure I wasn't banned and didn't know it. Its weird. The "attrition" rate here makes me paranoid.

I had the same feeling at first, but I think you'd know. :lol:

Swift
2008-Nov-17, 03:47 PM
And one day, I'll wake up dead. :lol:
I was thinking that too. But you're not actually dead until you read your own obit. :shifty:

Swift
2008-Nov-17, 03:49 PM
But then you start a thread certain to pique a moderator's curiosity. ;)

Apparently banning does wonders for your literary aspirations. They keep having banned author sales at my local book store. Beats being a dead artist as a career move.
Speaking of banned (well, not really)... Hi Selenite, long time no see.

mugaliens
2008-Nov-17, 05:05 PM
if i was to get banned from here- most likely for not putting in big "i's" where they belong, which i know bugs some people- i'd still read the threads, and then go to one of the car related forums and do some posting there.

I was thinking of responding with a "Banned for not putting in big "i's" where they belong," but then I imagined being banned for "moderating without a licence."

Gillianren
2008-Nov-17, 06:42 PM
I'd have to disagree with the idea of the attrition rate around here being very high. The majority of the people with whom I made friends lo, these many years ago, on BABB, are still here--and not because they got reinstated in the general amnesty, though even if they had, that, too, was several years ago. The one or two who are not, I can understand why. I watched a friend melt down; it wasn't pretty. I tried to stop him, but he insisted he was fine right up until the banhammer came down. I think I ended up reporting him myself.

Oh, there's a certain type that crashes and burns pretty regularly, but the majority of regulars just go posting on.

captain swoop
2008-Nov-17, 07:25 PM
If you are banned you get a screen telling you that your are banned and how long for plus a link to the mods if you want to talkto them.

I got 3 days earlier this year for something Isaid to someone in ATM.

Swift
2008-Nov-17, 07:33 PM
I'd have to disagree with the idea of the attrition rate around here being very high.
I would agree with that. The number of permanent bannings, particularly of medium or long time members, is pretty low. There seems to be many more people who just sort of fade away and stop posting.

Which makes me think of the quote, "This is the way the world ends, Not with a bang but a whimper".

antoniseb
2008-Nov-17, 07:50 PM
Its weird. The "attrition" rate here makes me paranoid.

It's pretty rare for someone who enjoys this place, and cares about the community to get a long or unending suspension ( I can think of two in the last four years). Most "Senior Members" who get banned were here looking for a fight, to promote personal commerce, or to advance an anti-science agenda.

Paracelsus
2008-Nov-17, 08:56 PM
I would agree with that. The number of permanent bannings, particularly of medium or long time members, is pretty low. There seems to be many more people who just sort of fade away and stop posting.

Which makes me think of the quote, "This is the way the world ends, Not with a bang but a whimper".

Ugh, you're depressing me. :(

I go through stages myself. Sometimes, like the past year, I withdraw from things, but I come back eventually.

I can only remember one senior guy that got permanently banned while I was here.

Swift
2008-Nov-17, 08:59 PM
Sorry Paracelsus, I don't mean to depress you. I was just pointing out that most departures from here aren't spectacular. People just move on to other things in their lives, and even those departures are not common from here.

ToSeek
2008-Nov-17, 09:15 PM

We're going to make bad grammar and misspellings a rules violation and then make Gillianren a moderator. :whistle:

Swift
2008-Nov-17, 09:16 PM
We're going to make bad grammar and misspellings a rules violation and then make Gillianren a moderator. :whistle:
Yeah, a forum with four members and one moderator will be real interesting. ;)

Gillianren
2008-Nov-17, 09:30 PM
Mmm. But would I enforce those rules when I myself made typos?

tdvance
2008-Nov-17, 10:30 PM
Hey, there are 4 m's in Mmmm.

Veeger
2008-Nov-17, 10:42 PM
Hey, there are 4 m's in Mmmm.

If true Gillianren would have to ban him/herself.
(which reflesive is non-gender specific? :confused:)

Gillianren
2008-Nov-17, 11:12 PM
In this case, it's "herself." However, "his/herself" or even "theirself" would have been acceptable. ("Theirself" looks wrong to me, even though it's what I use in spoken, because I have accepted "them" as a synonym of "him or her.")

Selenite
2008-Nov-18, 01:28 AM
Speaking of banned (well, not really)... Hi Selenite, long time no see.

Hi Swift! Good to be back. :)

Although it's tinged with a bit of sorrow as I see that Maksutov is no longer with us.

Veeger
2008-Nov-18, 04:08 AM
I'd have to disagree with the idea of the attrition rate around here being very high.

I also post at other boards, and by comparison, I think the rate of banning is high. But to be perfectly honest, I appreciate the rules and the strict, seemingly unbiased enforcement of them. I'm not trying to earn brownie points by saying that

I was only on one other site that had a higher rate, but it had multiple tens of thousands of members with every kind of agenda you can imagine. People crashed and burned by the dozens every day. And so did mods trying to regulate the masses.

mugaliens
2008-Nov-18, 09:39 PM
Mmm. But would I enforce those rules when I myself made typos?

It should be, "Mmm... But, would I enforce those rulse when I made typose myslef?"

How can you enforce the rules on yourself when you don't make typos?

Gillianren
2008-Nov-18, 10:47 PM
No, it shouldn't. There should never be a comma after "but."

sarongsong
2008-Nov-19, 01:39 AM
I have spent most of the day putting in a comma and the rest of the day taking it out.
— Oscar Wilde:)

cool comma site (http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas_big.htm)

tdvance
2008-Nov-19, 03:56 AM
But, what if you use "But" as an interjection?

Gillianren
2008-Nov-19, 04:29 AM
It's still wrong. I will permit you a dash, or even an exclamation point, but no conjunction is ever followed by a comma.

Gigabyte
2008-Nov-19, 05:25 PM
But, but, but ..... why is that the case? Huh? Huh?

Gillianren
2008-Nov-19, 05:31 PM
Generally, because you don't breathe there. ("But--but--but" is the exception!) Further, since in common usage, the comma goes before the conjunction, there's no need for a comma after.

The dash is a sadly underused punctuation mark, in my opinion. Most people don't know how it works any more than they know how commas work, so they just don't. It's harder to get away with that with commas, though.

Gigabyte
2008-Nov-19, 05:53 PM
It's harder to get away with that with commas, though.

That comma was not needed.

Gigabyte
2008-Nov-19, 05:54 PM
In fact that entire post is hard to read.

:D

Gillianren
2008-Nov-19, 06:04 PM
That comma was not needed.

Do you want to argue the point with me?

Gigabyte
2008-Nov-19, 06:11 PM
Maybe if it was phrased, "Though it's harder to get away with that, with commas.", then you could use one.

But if a comma is used where one would pause, for breath, or for dramatic effect, it is not needed at all.

Unless you wanted to pause, for effect.

Gigabyte
2008-Nov-19, 06:13 PM
Damn commas. They are confusing. Short pithy phrases. That is the way to write. We don't need no steenking commas.

Now back to the topic.

tdvance
2008-Nov-19, 06:18 PM
Ah--replace all commas with periods--problem solved!

Gigabyte
2008-Nov-19, 06:26 PM
He is, of course, correct about the conjunction and the comma.

Gillianren
2008-Nov-19, 07:57 PM
She.

I can promise you that, when I use a comma, it's in the correct place. You can check me in any grammar text you like. "Though," in the previous statement, was a parenthetical phrase. You can take it out without changing the sentence; ergo, it's correct. The "breath test" is a decent first defense, but it's not the be-all and end-all of grammar. I just use it to make people think about their words. There are a lot of people who don't use commas at all, and it just drives me crazy.

tdvance
2008-Nov-20, 01:35 AM
So commas don't come after "but," ever. Got it!

Twiga
2008-Nov-20, 02:17 AM
Wow.

No, it shouldn't. There should never be a comma after "but."

It's still wrong. I will permit you a dash, or even an exclamation point, but no conjunction is ever followed by a comma.

I can promise you that, when I use a comma, it's in the correct place.

And, yes, there are lots of landslides down there.

But, again, I was more interested in the director than the monster, and there are only two James Whale Frankenstein movies.

Swift
2008-Nov-20, 03:31 AM
Hi Twiga, welcome to BAUT.

Why "wow"?

Gillianren
2008-Nov-20, 04:28 AM
A comment about my parenthetical phrases, I suspect. Which, I will admit, is an exception. However, those commas serve in place of parentheses. Still, it's a fair cop.

showboat
2008-Nov-20, 05:06 AM
Obviously nobodys banned, as there is no BAUT band, to invite you to dance too.

If there was, all vulcans, and other assorted lifeforms would be welcome.

Guess it would have be costume, maybe, optional.

Like the pregnant girl said, 'I should have danced all night' instead of 'I could have danced all night'.

But if you got banned and notified and forgotten, easily happens as probably danced all night to a different band.

'sadly underused punctuation wouldn't be the criteria.'

sarongsong
2008-Nov-20, 05:16 AM
So commas don't come after "but," ever. Got it!..."but",... http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Neverfly
2008-Nov-20, 08:30 AM
Wow.
Stick around - it gets better...

captain swoop
2008-Nov-20, 04:31 PM
well, I like, commas. They give text, a Kirk, like feel.

John Mendenhall
2008-Nov-20, 04:52 PM
("Theirself" looks wrong to me, even though it's what I use in spoken, because I have accepted "them" as a synonym of "him or her.")

i suggest "themselfers'. And i don't care about lower case 'I's, eIther, only about Incorrect use of It, It's, and Its.

And dwarves and dwarfs and dwarveses.

Gigabyte
2008-Nov-20, 04:58 PM
Grammarnannies!!

Jeff Root
2008-Nov-20, 05:40 PM
And, as in uffish thought she lay,
The Jabberwock, with keys of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey thread,
And burbled as she came!

I've so wanted to use that last line somewhere...

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

tdvance
2008-Nov-20, 06:03 PM
well, I like, commas. They give text, a Kirk, like feel.

Eats, shoots and leaves!