PDA

View Full Version : Game Addiction prior to WoW

Fazor
2008-Nov-21, 09:25 PM
This must be what I'd spend all evening doing (http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2008/11/board-games.html)if I lived back before World of Warcraft (...okay, in fairness I lived many years before WoW, and don't play it currently. But I do play Warhammer: Online, so same difference).

I thought the article/blogpost/whatever was extreemely interesting. I had no idea that board games went so far back, and have changed so relatively little over five decades! Neat.

mugaliens
2008-Nov-21, 10:45 PM
Oops - Please delete this duplicate.

Thanks.

mugaliens
2008-Nov-21, 11:52 PM
It's little different from Monopoly, actually, except for the details.

I think Senet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senet)holds title to the oldest known board game. It's still played today.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Nov-24, 11:41 AM
Hnefatafl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hnefatafl)'s the game I tend to think of when talking old games, but then it's part of my own roots and I've actually played it.
Takes a bit to get used to the way you capture pieces:)

gzhpcu
2008-Nov-24, 12:26 PM
How about chess? Modern chess goes back to 6th century India, a game called "Chaturanga"...

LotusExcelle
2008-Nov-24, 12:29 PM
We used to play a game here that kept those of us that played up until about midnight when we'd play it.

It went like this:
it had to be dark out. No flood light on outside or anything. Go into the backyard (Joe's was best... almost a full acre some of it wooded). Get a bicycle. Now play tag. the "it" person had the bike and in order to tag someone you had to run into them in the pitch black.

Hmm. We weren't normal.

closetgeek
2008-Nov-24, 02:01 PM
I am sorry, I didn't know there were games before WoW. Fazor, somehow I fear I was bated into this thread. You know I can't resist talking about that game. Come back...

Fazor
2008-Nov-24, 02:17 PM
Lol. Bated? No. But I knew it'd get your attention. WAR is soo much better though (solong as enough of the community stays).

closetgeek
2008-Nov-24, 02:27 PM
Lol.
Bated? No. But I knew it'd get your attention. WAR is soo much better though (solong as enough of the community stays).

:eek: Baited...baited </blush>. Everything is soloable now on WoW...traitor!
Lol, not that I have had much time to play. As soon as I get the kids to bed my phone rings.

ozzmosis
2008-Nov-24, 08:25 PM
i used to play descent, was hard as hell to get past lvl7 but then was a wicked all the way to 25.

now am just stuck on lod.

jj_0001
2008-Nov-24, 08:30 PM
In a more modern sense, many people were MUD addicts long before Warcrack and the FPS online games. Before that, they were D&D addicts, RISK addicts, etc.

I wonder when the edict against "Chess will steal your soul" went out?

I was active running AD&D stuff when the first whacko BADD (that's Bothered About Dungeons and Dragons, not "Bikers against Drunk Driving", a sensible and positive organization) propaganda came out. Amazingly, I still hear about the claptrap they spouted.

So, does anyone know of any such "warnings" for the old-timey and historical games?

Abbadon_2008
2008-Nov-26, 10:11 PM
Civilization for the PC, and Grand Theft Auto for the PS2. Before that, X-Com on the PC.

All else pales by comparison.

mike alexander
2008-Nov-26, 10:31 PM
Board games growing up. My friends and I went through a long phase of Avalon-Hill games (D-Day, Afrika Korps, Bismarck, etc.).

Fazor
2008-Nov-27, 03:00 AM
X-Com on the PC.

Great game. I remember playing Terror From the Deep as I listened to game seven of the Indians v. Marlins World Series. Sadly, I also remember the 11th inning of game seven. *sigh*

novaderrik
2008-Nov-27, 04:51 AM
i played many, many games of Monopoly that lasted well past 12 hours- and this was with either 2 or 3 players.

closetgeek
2008-Nov-28, 06:31 AM
i played many, many games of Monopoly that lasted well past 12 hours- and this was with either 2 or 3 players.

I have never in my life, ever actually finished a monopoly game. I didn't know there was an ending to the game. I thought it was like Venture or Donkey Kong, you just get stuck in this loop and eventually just walk away.

Nicolas
2008-Nov-28, 08:01 AM
I thought the article/blogpost/whatever was extreemely interesting. I had no idea that board games went so far back, and have changed so relatively little over five decades! Neat.

Make that centuries. :)

I've played loads of Stunts (aka 4D sports driving), SimCity1, NFS1, HL and HL2, AoE1&2. I was quite addicted to playing Total Annihilation over LAN with my brother. And GRand Prix Legends and Falcon4, but apart from Total Annihilation, that was all offline. The only other games I played online were CS:source and Age Of Chivalry, back in the days when I had a PC...

As for board games, I love the NDW ;) of board games from 999 games.

speedfreek
2008-Nov-28, 07:47 PM
And Grand Prix Legends and Falcon4, but apart from Total Annihilation, that was all offline.

A pity you only played Grand Prix Legends offline, as I used to run the UKGPL online racing league and was also a moderator in the chatroom at the Virtual Racers Online Connection, or VROC for short, so if you played online you might have recognised me!

Yes, I was addicted to online racing simulations and GPL was one of the best - I played it pretty constantly between 1998 and 2004. (8mins 18secs around the Ring in my Ferrari!)

For those who don't know the simulator, it modelled the 1967 Formula 1 season, the last season where cars ran without wings or sponsorship. These cars used to 4 wheel drift around bends at 180 mph!

:shifty:

Fazor
2008-Nov-29, 12:01 AM
Make that centuries. :)

Lol I can't believe what's worse; that I typed that or that you were the first to point it out.