PDA

View Full Version : meteror

ripe
2008-Nov-22, 02:42 AM
A few weeks ago, 9pm watched a glowing orange/white meteor?
fly passed horizontally. Bright glowing, easy to see in detail, had a
small transparent flame shaped vapour trail. Went by fairly slowly
level and horizontal took 6 to 10 second to pass at approx. the
height that medical helecopters, which I often view. Any meteors
which I have seem in the past have been tiny bright flashes
high in the sky, this seemed low, slow and bright. Any ideas?

Rue
2008-Nov-22, 03:13 AM
Welcome to baut.

Was there other sightings of this in your area?

approx. the
height that medical helecopters, which I often view.

It was more likely a great deal higher. ;)

Hornblower
2008-Nov-22, 03:14 AM
A meteor can appear anywhere in the sky. This one just happened to appear at an elevation similar to that of the helicopters you mentioned. If you had been maybe 40 or 50 miles closer to its track, it might have gone overhead.

This one appears to be a fireball which was in a direct orbit that made its speed relative to Earth relatively slow. It was overtaking us. Had it been in a retrograde orbit it would have been much faster.

The great brightness and visible trail indicate a large meteoroid.

astromark
2008-Nov-22, 08:19 AM
'ripe'... welcome, and you are fortunate to have seen such as you did. the distance from you is indeed difficult to pinpoint. slow movement suggests some distance from you. No sonic Boom! leads to the same conclusion. The visible trail leads me to remember some of the beauty of these things. If it were as close as a light aircraft, you would have herd it.
As an amature astronomer I have seen hundreds of meteors. The fireball you describe is a little more rare. Make a wish...

mugaliens
2008-Nov-22, 12:48 PM
Welcome to baut.

Was there other sightings of this in your area?

It was more likely a great deal higher. ;)

No, it wasn't a meteor. It was a meteror, so it could have been a great deal lower, such as a meter, or perhaps two meters.

Serious, Rue's right - it was probably a great deal higher, and a great deal faster, than what appeared.