PDA

View Full Version : question about gravitons

WayneFrancis
2008-Nov-26, 05:57 AM
I understand gravitons are hypothetical massless particles that would travel at C but I have a question that I know is caused by something I'm just not getting. I've asked this question for Astronomy Cast but not sure if they will ever get to it as there are bound to be tons of other questions that are better then it.

If a graviton travels at C how could a black hole actually have any gravitational effect outside of the event horizon? Shouldn't the gravitons being emitted not be able to climb out of the gravity well?

Also would a graviton experience any redshift?

I would love to know what I'm missing here.

Thanks
Wayne

Durakken
2008-Nov-26, 06:01 AM
Simple...

particles that are effected by gravity travel THROUGH 3 dimensions
Gravitons however hypothetically go through other dimensions and effect 3D space.

WayneFrancis
2008-Nov-26, 06:38 AM
Simple...

particles that are effected by gravity travel THROUGH 3 dimensions
Gravitons however hypothetically go through other dimensions and effect 3D space.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still trying to get my head around this.

I understand that gravitons in string theory are closed strings not bound to the brane. But I didn't think the standard model was dependent on extra dimensions.

I think I'm getting different models confused in my head and that is my problem.

Thanks again. If anyone else has anything else to add...please do. The more explanations I get the more clear this issue will get in my head.

Durakken
2008-Nov-26, 07:00 AM
I should point out that I could be 100% wrong... but anyways... Gravitons to my knowledge are particle that travel through other dimensions but that is not proven, nor is any graviton model... they think and hope they will prove that with the LHC