PDA

View Full Version : Teaspoon of Neutron Star Matter

gmcroft
2008-Dec-02, 11:59 PM
Neutron star matter has been described as being so dense, that a teaspoon full of this material would weigh as much as a mountain. Is it possible to have a teaspoon full of neutron star matter? Or, if a small piece of neutron star matter was chipped away, it would simply fly apart without the intense gravity holding it together?

Nowhere Man
2008-Dec-03, 12:14 AM
It's my understanding (which may be out of date) that it would blow up in your face. However, there is some uncertainty about exactly what it is. See the Wikipedia articles on neutronium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutronium) and neutron star. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_star)

Fred

KaiYeves
2008-Dec-03, 01:01 AM
Either way, there's not much you could do with it.

"Oooh, a neutron star! I've got to show my friends!"
*Tries to pick it up*
"Eaaahhhh! My back!"

WayneFrancis
2008-Dec-03, 04:37 AM
Neutron star matter has been described as being so dense, that a teaspoon full of this material would weigh as much as a mountain. Is it possible to have a teaspoon full of neutron star matter? Or, if a small piece of neutron star matter was chipped away, it would simply fly apart without the intense gravity holding it together?

I think this is right. I could be wrong but I think the sub atomic structure would try to snap back.

Good luck getting any of this stuff off the surface as anything hitting the surface would immediately crunch down. If 2 neutron stars could some how hit each other head on at sufficient speed....man that would cause a big explosion.

sohh_fly
2008-Dec-03, 05:00 AM
what is the reasoning for the neutron material, to be so dense.
why does it not destroy itself by way of feeding on itself if this star is so intense.
i know it's what's left of a star , but how does it's life come to a close.?

and why is it that it weigh's so much?

gmcroft
2008-Dec-03, 06:18 AM
Does anyone know what would happen if 2 neutron stars collided head-on? Could they shatter? Or would their masses join to probably form a black hole?

sohh_fly
2008-Dec-03, 06:53 AM
that would be 1 heavy collision and 1 hell of a light show

trinitree88
2008-Dec-03, 01:20 PM
Does anyone know what would happen if 2 neutron stars collided head-on? Could they shatter? Or would their masses join to probably form a black hole?

gmcroft. That would be the short gamma ray burst scenario. The long ones are from supernovae...types 1 and 2 mostly. So far no black holes have been definitively found at the collisions. The supernovae that cause type 2 explosions..core collapse...eject pulsars, and non pulsing neutron stars into the halos of their host galaxies where they later collide to form short GRB's. There are thought to be 10,000 to 100,000 of these objects per halo, but with such large separations and small sizes the collisions are still pretty rare. Fun though. pete

HellsAn631
2008-Dec-04, 07:59 PM
To my understanding a neutron star wouldn't hit another one head on, due to their massive gravitational fields.

Both stars would be caught in the other ones orbit, then slowly, gravity would pull the two together as the rotate around each other at ever increasing speeds.

Eventually, they would both move at almost light speed until actual collision.

Antares7
2008-Dec-04, 08:02 PM
just a teaspoonful of Neutron Star Matter
makes the medicine go down!

the medicine go dooooowwn
{--medicine go down!}

makes the medicine go down,
in the most de-LIGHT-ful WAAAAY! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

jokergirl
2008-Dec-04, 10:00 PM
makes the medicine go down!

the medicine go dooooowwn
{--medicine go down!}

makes the medicine go down,
in the most de-LIGHT-ful WAAAAY! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Down indeed. All the way down. Have you ever read The Hole Man?

;)

cosmocrazy
2008-Dec-04, 10:20 PM
what is the reasoning for the neutron material, to be so dense.
why does it not destroy itself by way of feeding on itself if this star is so intense.
i know it's what's left of a star , but how does it's life come to a close.?

and why is it that it weighs so much?

The matter is so dense basically because the space inside each atom has been reduced down so much under gravity that more atoms will fit into a smaller space ( IIRC the term "neutron" star is coined because the electrons are squashed into the nucleus of each atom, more knowledgeable folk will correct me on this and give you more detail). The nuclear fusion process which gave the star its original outward energy force against the pull of gravity has ceased to continue. Because the matter is now so dense more of it can fit into a small space, squeezed so much that there is about the same mass in a teaspoon size of neutron star as there is mass in a mountain on earth, that is why it would weigh so much. :)