PDA

View Full Version : 50th Anniversary of Lunar Exploration

HypothesisTesting
2008-Dec-03, 05:12 PM
New Years, 2009 will mark the 50th anniversary of a famous first, Lunik I, a Soviet satellite which was the first ever to pass near the moon (followed two months later with a USA moon probe)

During 2009, some other 50th anniversaries:

Lunik II, first spacecraft to crash land into another world

Lunik III, first photos of far side of moon. and few maria were spotted there

KaiYeves
2008-Dec-03, 10:25 PM
It's a good anniversary to remember. A small start that led to a giant leap.

ravens_cry
2008-Dec-04, 02:28 AM
Wow, only 10 years and six months between thing sent by man out into the void to try and reach the nearest world outside our own and, and the first steps onto that world.
To paraphrase The Dish, this was sciences chance to be daring.
Though I love computers and being able to use them to communicate with you fine folk, I really wish I lived then sometimes. To have seen these moments myself.

KaiYeves
2008-Dec-05, 12:52 AM
Though I love computers and being able to use them to communicate with you fine folk, I really wish I lived then sometimes. To have seen these moments myself.
I also. I have several "historical mes" that are alter egos of myself at times in history I would have wanted to live that I think of now and then. Space Race Me is one of them.

HypothesisTesting
2008-Dec-08, 05:10 PM
I also. I have several "historical mes" that are alter egos of myself at times in history I would have wanted to live that I think of now and then. Space Race Me is one of them.

I was lucky enough to experience the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo days and they were the most thrilling years I can remember ever. The whole country was glued to CBS/NBC/ABC at times, plus the ticker-tape lights in New York keeping people posted. very heady times ; plus most people know all that other history was going on at the same time in the 1960s, what a decade.