PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix

The Admiral
2008-Dec-04, 12:01 AM
I have not heard or read an answer to this. I assume that Phoenix will wake up again in the Martian spring when its solar panels receive more sun light. If so, what will be the Earth date?

Dave Nelson

Peter B
2008-Dec-04, 12:10 AM
Actually, no, I don't think Phoenix will rise again. The impression I've got from reading the news is that it's dead dead. I suspect the batteries won't survive the cold, even if the panels generate electricity.

Someone else might like to confirm or correct this.

slang
2008-Dec-04, 12:11 AM
I assume that Phoenix will wake up again in the Martian spring when its solar panels receive more sun light.

Most likely, it will not wake up. The instruments were not designed to survive the extreme cold Phoenix is being subjected to, without heaters. Electrical components may very well get destroyed. On top of that, the solar panels are made of a very light, flimsy material. It seems unlikely they will hold up under the weight of CO2 and water ice/snow buildup. As for a possible date when optimal solar power becomes available again, I don't know. Perhaps someone else can say something sensible about that.

There are more Phoenix topics in the Space Exploration (http://www.bautforum.com/space-exploration/) forum.

stu
2008-Dec-04, 12:26 AM
The possible date of regeneration is in about 2 Earth years. I think Earth Winter 2009/2010 would be the soonest.

The Admiral
2008-Dec-04, 01:39 AM
Thank you for your answers. They sound very reasonable.

Dave Nelson

2008-Dec-04, 01:55 AM
The possible date of regeneration is in about 2 Earth years. I think Earth Winter 2009/2010 would be the soonest.

Around October 2009, I heard -- northern spring. 2 years from now would be the time to have just died again.

NASA Phoenix Mission news conference: Sunlight hours by sol diagram (http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/images/press/Goldstein2_Chart_SD_Fix.html)

Ice encasement period ends 2009 November 20.

But, yeah, chances are extremely slim.