PDA

View Full Version : dark matter

creativedreams
2008-Dec-04, 02:11 AM
thinking maybe dark matter is..."the ashes of burned atoms"...so to speak? Possibly caused by the crushing of molecules and atoms entering black holes and being shot out. Maybe ashes from the burning stars too? Which brings to mind maybe black holes are just a type of nuclear fire (reaction) which energy creates gravity? Which brings to mind maybe it's energy (both kinetic and potential) that creates gravity and not mass?

creativedreams
2008-Dec-06, 01:05 AM
sorry but I reposted this thread to the questions area as I thought it was more appropriate

Mike Smith
2008-Dec-07, 07:28 AM
Two articles point out there is no dark matter in our neighborhood

Bienayme, O. Soubiran, C. Mishenina, T. V. Kovtyukh, V. V. and Siebert A. Vertical distribution of Galactic disk stars in Astronomy and Astrophysics 446, 933-942 (2006)

Creze, M., Chereul, E., Bienayme, O. and Pichon, C. The distribution of nearby stars in phase space mapped by Hipparcos. I. The potential well and local dynamical mass in Astronomy and Astrophysics, 329 920-936 (1998)

No need for much dark matter to run the mechanics of of local star systems. Since the cosmological principle suggests our neighborhood is not special, dark matter is probably not present in other locals.

I wonder why dark matter is always reported as being "...way far away..." and always by astronomers and never by experimentalists?