PDA

View Full Version : Moderators: The Next Generation

ToSeek
2008-Dec-04, 06:39 PM
After extensive discussion amongst the existing moderators, the administrators, and numerous candidates, we've added the following moderators:

PetersCreek
hhEb09'1
captain swoop
tusenfem
Sticks
pzkpfw
chrissy

Please welcome them into their new roles.

peteshimmon
2008-Dec-04, 06:43 PM
Sticks!??...I've just pulled him up over an
apostrophe! Oh Gawd...

2008-Dec-04, 06:44 PM
Welcome.

And, put 'em to work! Give 'em a trial run. Let's see how they handle the curves.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-04, 06:45 PM
Any nubie power trips get locked in a room with me overnight.

NEOWatcher
2008-Dec-04, 06:46 PM

Welcome;

Actually; I was a bit worried that Next Generation meant out with the old, except for maybe a single cameo post here and there.

The list is not what I would have expected, but from my point of view I'm sure things are different than in the moderator communication world.

Since it's the same moderators that I trust that have compiled this list, I'm starting off with a good opinion of it.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-04, 06:47 PM
Speaking of old mods... Where is Serenitude?!

Argos
2008-Dec-04, 06:50 PM
Good luck to our new shepherds and sentries, and have mercy on me. :)

I would expect 01101001 among them. Iīve always seen him as a kind of informal mod to this board.

NEOWatcher
2008-Dec-04, 06:50 PM
Sticks!??...I've just pulled him up over an
apostrophe! Oh Gawd...
Yeah, and with him you're not going to get banned, you'll just end up in a pot full of boiling lentils. :lol:

Neverfly
2008-Dec-04, 06:52 PM
I would expect 01101001 among them. Iīve always seen him as kind of an informal mod to this board.

Oh, I hope not:neutral:

Neverfly
2008-Dec-04, 07:00 PM
Yeah, and with him you're not going to get banned, you'll just end up in a pot full of boiling lentils. :lol:

Actually, I can see Sticks starting three threads all at once about not only can he not post on the BA Blog, but he can't get his Mod buttons to work.

Sticks
2008-Dec-04, 07:20 PM
Actually, I can see Sticks starting three threads all at once about not only can he not post on the BA Blog, but he can't get his Mod buttons to work.
Actually I have been into the moderator's secret lair already, but it will I suppose take a while for all of us to get to speed.

This is a great honour and I hope to live up to it, and try and get my apostrophes correct

I can not believe I did that? :doh:

Sticks
2008-Dec-04, 07:22 PM

Why waste good lentils?:naughty: :lol:

Swift
2008-Dec-04, 07:31 PM
I, for one, welcome our new BAUT overlords. ;)

Fazor
2008-Dec-04, 07:31 PM
Yes, congradulations to the new mods! And remember (the old mods already know this) ...any "offending" posts under the name "Fazor" obviously came from a skilled and devious hacker, and not myself. :whistles:

hhEb09'1
2008-Dec-04, 07:41 PM
Any nubie power trips get locked in a room with me overnight.Nubie? ha. :)

Some things I haven't shared before:

Moderator role model: Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III
Preferred appellation: Your Munificence (or, Grapes, Pace, etc.)
Favorite torture device: Thumbscrew
Favorite forum: BAUT
Favored BAUT posters: ATMers
Favorite emolument: Your munificence

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-04, 07:46 PM
Thanks again for the invitation and the welcome!

Oh...and payment of bribes is to be made in single malt scotch by direct deposit. Islay preferred.

agingjb
2008-Dec-04, 08:02 PM
Hmm. I do hope this is a joke. There is at least one name on that list who I do not care to accept moderation from. Sorry to be blunt, but I think I will be bowing out, or banned in short order, whichever comes first. Obviously, if asked, I'll PM my reservations to a current moderator before I go.

Antares7
2008-Dec-04, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the warning! -jokes-

Jim
2008-Dec-04, 08:21 PM
Actually; I was a bit worried that Next Generation meant out with the old, except for maybe a single cameo post here and there.

Actually, that's my plan.

PraedSt
2008-Dec-04, 08:22 PM
Welcome and congrats! :)

Jim
2008-Dec-04, 08:25 PM
Oh...and payment of bribes is to be made in single malt scotch by direct deposit. Islay preferred.

There was a program on some station (History Channel? Food Channel?) about the making of Kentucky bourbon. By state law, the casks used to age the liquor can only be used once. Used casks are sold to distillers in Scotland to make Scotch.

Which means your Islay may have a little taste of Kentucky to it.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-04, 08:26 PM
Hmm. I do hope this is a joke. There is at least one name on that list who I do not care to accept moderation from. Sorry to be blunt, but I think I will be bowing out, or banned in short order, whichever comes first. Obviously, if asked, I'll PM my reservations to a current moderator before I go.
Part of being a Moderator is Moderation.

The Mods actually lose expressive freedom by accepting that position- They need to set an example and try to NEVER screw up.

Hopefully you will stick around and continue to contribute. Because in the end, it's unlikely enmity between you and Mystery Mod can actually alter your participation- Unless you choose to make it so.

I admit, there is at least one Current Moderator- not a new one- Who I have a personal dissatisfaction with and concerns about being on the receiving end of his moderation.
Yet, I have participated (badly) on this forum for some time now without it actually becoming an issue.

Nubie? ha. :)

Some things I haven't shared before:

Moderator role model: Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III
Preferred appellation: Your Munificence (or, Grapes, Pace, etc.)
Favorite torture device: Thumbscrew
Favorite forum: BAUT
Favored BAUT posters: ATMers
Favorite emolument: Your munificence

I have no freaking clue what you just said!!

Although, it raises an interesting thought: What if HuB' was a Moderator?

Actually I have been into the moderator's secret lair already, but it will I suppose take a while for all of us to get to speed.
Irony- I have been in a Moderator Secret Lair, not on this forum. A different one, quite by accident when and Admin gave me the wrong permissions without realizing it.
I could read all the threads that were talking about me behind my back.:shifty:

I PM'ed the Admin and alerted him to the fact, which he was baffled how he could make such an error...

But I actually know what Mod Secret Lairs look like;)

pzkpfw
2008-Dec-04, 08:27 PM
And, put 'em to work! Give 'em a trial run. Let's see how they handle the curves.

For $10 by paypal I'll upgrade you to 01001001.

(insert smiley here)

agingjb : Whatever problem you've had in discussions with whomever you have had trouble with - should not affect the way that they act in the role of moderator. Moderators are not above reproach, either, and if you feel unfairly or badly treated you could raise it with the others - when and if it happens.

I for one, will concentrate on deleting SPAM before moving on to the "good stuff" like banning people who mis-use apostrophe's'es.

Cheers,

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-04, 08:38 PM
There was a program on some station (History Channel? Food Channel?) about the making of Kentucky bourbon. By state law, the casks used to age the liquor can only be used once. Used casks are sold to distillers in Scotland to make Scotch.

Which means your Islay may have a little taste of Kentucky to it.

Yep, it just might. "Finishing" in other barrels/casks, such as those that held sherry or port for examples, is also common...but not so much on Islay. It's more of a Highland thing, I think.

ToSeek
2008-Dec-04, 08:38 PM
Welcome;

The list is not what I would have expected, but from my point of view I'm sure things are different than in the moderator communication world.

Since it's the same moderators that I trust that have compiled this list, I'm starting off with a good opinion of it.

There are several people whom we thought would be excellent moderators who didn't think they could devote enough time and attention to the responsibility. So that there are some established posters not being made moderators should not be assumed to be a slighting of them.

I should add that this is probably not a complete list as there's at least one offer still pending.

Moose
2008-Dec-04, 08:43 PM
Although, it raises an interesting thought: What if HuB' was a Moderator?

Nobody, including the other mods, would actually know if someone got banned or not.

Tog
2008-Dec-04, 09:11 PM
Gratz to you all. I have to say that I'm a bit surprised by the number of new mods. After a very thinly veiled hint a month or so back I figured a new batch was on the way, but I was expecting three, maybe five.

slang
2008-Dec-04, 09:24 PM
Congrats everyone. Good to see there's a nice spread in timezones too.

WaxRubiks
2008-Dec-04, 09:46 PM

I just nipped backstage with my Batman key, and I discovered an interesting button that the mods have.

http://triton.imageshack.us/Himg390/scaled.php?server=390&filename=sentinelswk9.jpg&xsize=578&ysize=480

agingjb
2008-Dec-04, 09:54 PM
I just nipped backstage with my Batman key, and I discovered an interesting button that the mods have.

http://triton.imageshack.us/Himg390/scaled.php?server=390&filename=sentinelswk9.jpg&xsize=578&ysize=480

Interesting, puzzling but probably tends to confirm that my mostly happy and interesting interaction with BAUT is coming to an end.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-04, 10:02 PM

Huh?:confused:

Nadme
2008-Dec-04, 10:04 PM
ToSeek...where's the next announcement?? Curious minds want to know! Please no more suspense. ;)

captain swoop
2008-Dec-04, 10:06 PM
Interesting, puzzling but probably tends to confirm that my mostly happy and interesting interaction with BAUT is coming to an end.

Why? all that Frog March did was cut the postg and save it as an image then paste it back into a new post.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-04, 10:10 PM
Why? all that Frog March did was cut the postg and save it as an image then paste it back into a new post.

Oh.

Sheesh...

:doh:

I just saw the button that says "Launch Sentinels"

But I dunno if I'm insulted or honored.

ToSeek
2008-Dec-04, 10:11 PM
ToSeek...where's the next announcement?? Curious minds want to know! Please no more suspense. ;)

Chrissy has also been offered a moderator position and has accepted, though too slowly to make the initial round of promotions. I can't remember if there's anyone else or not.

ToSeek
2008-Dec-04, 10:12 PM

I bet our wet bar is better than theirs! ;)

Neverfly
2008-Dec-04, 10:14 PM
I bet our wet bar is better than theirs! ;)

Y'all have a BAR?!:surprised

Carla
2008-Dec-04, 10:16 PM

Doodler is banned until next week so his anouncement is late.

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-04, 10:17 PM
And a jaccuzzi!

Neverfly
2008-Dec-04, 10:21 PM
And a jaccuzzi!
Oh, I have one of those right behind me.

I don't have a bar... But I don't drink, so I don't care.

Doodler is banned until next week so his anouncement is late.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gif

chrissy
2008-Dec-04, 10:21 PM
Chrissy has also been offered a moderator position and has accepted, though too slowly to make the initial round of promotions. I can't remember if there's anyone else or not.

My one night I go to bed early for a change and I miss the PM! :(

grant hutchison
2008-Dec-04, 10:22 PM
Yep, it just might. "Finishing" in other barrels/casks, such as those that held sherry or port for examples, is also common...but not so much on Islay. It's more of a Highland thing, I think.I have a nice bourbon-cask-aged Bruichladdich. To my knowledge, Ardbeg and Bowmore use bourbon casks, too, and then finish the whisky in something different: sherry, port, madeira.

Grant Hutchison

captain swoop
2008-Dec-04, 10:23 PM
It was the extensive choice of Wines and Spirits that impressed me.

ToSeek
2008-Dec-04, 10:24 PM

I thought you might have meant this one:

http://www.bautforum.com/attachments/about-baut/1625d1136688623-ignore-modcp.jpg

captain swoop
2008-Dec-04, 10:24 PM
I have a nice bourbon-cask-aged Bruachladdich. To my knowledge, Ardbeg and Bowmore use bourbon casks, too. They'll often finish the whisky in something different: sherry, port, madeira.

Grant Hutchison

Bowmore and Ardbeg are both good. never had a Bruachladdich, must find out which of the mods is the Bar Steward

ToSeek
2008-Dec-04, 10:25 PM
It was the extensive choice of Wines and Spirits that impressed me.

Wait till you meet the brunette bartender on the night shift.

Sticks
2008-Dec-04, 10:27 PM
Being teetotal, I can not be bribed with alcohol

Coffee - Now that's another matter :shifty:

Neverfly
Wait till you meet the brunette bartender on the night shift.

If it's the same one Crosscountry and I drooled over at the Iron Cactus, Captain Swoop may be too inebriated to post for a while.

slang
I thought you might have meant this one:

Hah.. I KNEW moderators were more powerful than the LHC!

2008-Dec-04, 10:38 PM

Revised plan:
1) Get Sticks drunk.
2) Then, bribe him with alcohol.
3) Profit!

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-04, 10:38 PM
I have a nice bourbon-cask-aged Bruichladdich. To my knowledge, Ardbeg and Bowmore use bourbon casks, too, and then finish the whisky in something different: sherry, port, madeira.

Grant Hutchison

I've not had the Bruichladdich, either...yet. I do appreciate Ardbeg and Bowmore, though. My favorites remain Laphroaig and Lagavulin (I'm into a bottle of the 1991 Distiller's Edition now).

Well...except for that single dram of 30-year-old Macallan an inebriated D.C. lawyer once bought for me. What can I say? He'd never met an Alaskan and he took a curious liking to my hat.

Coffee - Now that's another matter

I consume spirits purely for pleasure. Coffee, I drink for medical reasons. I was born without a caffeine gland. ;)

Oh, looky there...my 500th post. That calls for a scotch.

Nadme
2008-Dec-04, 10:41 PM

Chrissy! Chrissy! Yaaay! :)

captain swoop
2008-Dec-04, 10:42 PM
Myself I like a Jura, or to throw a cat among the pigeons a Bushmills Malt.

antoniseb
2008-Dec-04, 10:45 PM
I am very pleased with the new batch of moderators. I think I'll take some time off.

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-04, 10:49 PM
I was neither displeased nor particularly impressed with the one expression of Jura I sampled. I don't mind Bushmills either. Although I have a penchant for single malts, I usually have a small selection of whiskies in the rotation at any given time. Currently:

Lagavulin 16
Lagavulin 1991 Distiller's Edition
Basil Hayden 8-year-old Kentucky Straight Bourbon
Jim Beam Straight Rye Whiskey

This roundup is notable for the absence of an Irish representative it usually includes.

Okay...I've hijacked enough, yes?

Congrats to Chrissy, too!

chrissy
2008-Dec-04, 10:51 PM
Chrissy! Chrissy! Yaaay! :)

Thank you Nadme. :)

chrissy
2008-Dec-04, 10:52 PM
Thank you PetersCreek.

geonuc
2008-Dec-04, 10:55 PM
chrissy rules.

captain swoop
2008-Dec-04, 10:57 PM
I was neither displeased nor particularly impressed with the one expression of Jura I sampled. I don't mind Bushmills either. Although I have a penchant for single malts

Bushmills do a Single Malt.

And Hey Chrissie, With You and Sticks that's 3 of us in quite a small area :)

Swift
2008-Dec-04, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by NEOWatcher
Actually, that's my plan.
I hope your plan is not moderating as much, instead of not posting at all (or a lot less). I'd hate to see you go.

@agingjb - You have to do what you have to do, but I would suggest not doing anything too quick or too rash. Give it a go and see how it works out.

stutefish
2008-Dec-04, 11:06 PM
Congratulations!

Fraser
2008-Dec-04, 11:11 PM
Welcome to all the new moderators, thanks a lot for joining the team!

ToSeek
2008-Dec-04, 11:17 PM
Gratz to you all. I have to say that I'm a bit surprised by the number of new mods. After a very thinly veiled hint a month or so back I figured a new batch was on the way, but I was expecting three, maybe five.

This board really needs 8-10 active moderators in order to be monitored properly. With various explicit and implicit dropouts, we were down to about 4 or 5. This gets us back to a decent level with some room to spare.

chrissy
2008-Dec-04, 11:18 PM
Bushmills do a Single Malt.

Yup! :D

chrissy rules.

Thanks Geonuc. :)

PraedSt
2008-Dec-04, 11:19 PM

Coffee - Now that's another matter :shifty:
Pork chops too, everyone.

BetaDust
2008-Dec-04, 11:21 PM
Congrats and succes to all of you new Mods!!

PetersCreek,
hhEb09'1,
captain swoop,
tusenfem,
Sticks,
pzkpfw.

-- Dennis

PraedSt
2008-Dec-04, 11:21 PM
Chrissy has also been offered a moderator position and has accepted, though too slowly to make the initial round of promotions.
Chrissy has a baseball bat. We're in big trouble. :(

Nowhere Man
2008-Dec-04, 11:22 PM
Congratulations all. [looks nervously over each shoulder] I, for one, welcome our new moderation overlords.

Fred

BigDon
2008-Dec-04, 11:31 PM
Congrats all you new mods! I don't know what Aging J's problem is but I'll second the "I welcome our new BAUT overlords"

chrissy
2008-Dec-04, 11:34 PM
Congrats and succes to all of you new Mods!!

PetersCreek,
hhEb09'1,
captain swoop,
tusenfem,
Sticks,
pzkpfw,
chrissy.
-- Dennis

I feel the need to add my name on your list too BetaDust!

BetaDust
2008-Dec-04, 11:37 PM
One more, Yeah Chrissy!

Nadme
2008-Dec-04, 11:38 PM
Congratulations Chrissy! :)

And the other Mods too.

chrissy
2008-Dec-04, 11:42 PM
Thanks BetaDust and Nadme.

This is a great toy..... erm! I mean new functions.

Swift
2008-Dec-04, 11:48 PM
Congratulations all. [looks nervously over each shoulder] I, for one, welcome our new moderation overlords.

Fred
ToSeeked (http://www.bautforum.com/1380217-post13.html)
Sorry Big Don, but you're thirding.

BetaDust
2008-Dec-04, 11:52 PM
So, now the new Mod's are installed, How many mod's do we have? not counting our two Admins?

ToSeek
2008-Dec-05, 12:00 AM
so, now the new mod's are installed, how many mod's do we have? Not counting our two admins?

14, officially. But Josh and kashi have been away for a while, so 12 for all practical purposes.

Whirlpool
2008-Dec-05, 12:01 AM

Why? You can't PM as much as you like anymore ? :confused:

Whirlpool
2008-Dec-05, 12:03 AM
Congratulations to the New Mods .

Hope y'all will stay Humble and not take advantage of the New Power.

cran
2008-Dec-05, 12:03 AM
I'm only involved in a few serious discussions lately -
next thing I know, nearly half of the participants have become moderators ...
that's scary ...

congratulations ...

Whirlpool
2008-Dec-05, 12:11 AM
Why do I have the feeling that I feel bad about this .

Argos
2008-Dec-05, 12:16 AM
I see thereīs only one mod in the Far East time zones [Kashi in Australia], and none in the India Time. If I were an admin Iīd be interested in filling the gaps. Just out of curiosity, what would be the basic criterion for the choice of mods [assuming itīs not secret]. Native Anglophony [well, thereīs Hendrik] or something?

chrissy
2008-Dec-05, 12:24 AM
Why? You can't PM as much as you like anymore ? :confused:

I went to bed early last night because I had to go to the hospital this morning for another medical procedure, I missed Frasers PM he sent me, so my reply was late, that is all.

Gillianren
2008-Dec-05, 12:40 AM
I see thereīs only one mod in the Far East time zones [Kashi in Australia], and none in the India Time. If I were an admin Iīd be interested in filling the gaps. Just out of curiosity, what would be the basic criterion for the choice of mods [assuming itīs not secret]. Native Anglophony [well, thereīs Hendrik] or something?

I assume stability of mind and posting style--and if not native Anglophony, at least skill in the language would be helpful. I would think anyone with a regular habit of questionable posts would be right out.

mugaliens
2008-Dec-05, 12:48 AM
Congratulations to all the new Moderators!

Part of being a Moderator is Moderation.

The Mods actually lose expressive freedom by accepting that position- They need to set an example and try to NEVER screw up.

That's reasonably accurate, though if one's ethics are sound, being a mod shouldn't crimp their style (or contributions).

Yes... but... Do you know what SuperDuperAdmin Secret Lairs look like?

Why do I have the feeling that I feel bad about this .

I have the utmost confident our mods, new and old alike, will moderate fairly, and effectively!

So, not to worry, Whirlpool - not to worry. Matters are well in hand...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mugaliens/ToSeeked.jpg

Before anyone gets too excited, please reference the word between super and admin, above - Thanks.

mike alexander
2008-Dec-05, 12:50 AM
Glad it can now be public, Chrissy.

You go, girl.

As opposed to the Yugo Girl, who rusted very quickly.

mugaliens
2008-Dec-05, 12:52 AM

That was a girl?

cran
2008-Dec-05, 12:58 AM
I assume stability of mind and posting style--and if not native Anglophony, at least skill in the language would be helpful. I would think anyone with a regular habit of questionable posts would be right out.
that would be me, then ... uh, the second part, that is ...

chrissy
2008-Dec-05, 01:22 AM
Glad it can now be public, Chrissy.

You go, girl.

:D thank you Mike.

Tobin Dax
2008-Dec-05, 01:46 AM
The British are modding! The British are modding!
:shifty:

Congrats, all. It's well-deserved.

mugaliens
2008-Dec-05, 01:48 AM
The British are modding! The British are modding!

It'll soon turn into a game of Risk. You'll see...

Fraser
2008-Dec-05, 02:04 AM
Moderators are chosen for their moderation. Moderately.

Veeger
2008-Dec-05, 03:52 AM
Ok, congratulations to the new team. I was wondering, is there a thread somewhere that lists who's on or off at any given time? I mean, there are times when I have PM'd a particular mod (not to report a post(er)) because he has been prompt about helping me with advice or issues relevant to posting. But let's say I'm on the otherside of the world and I have the need to bounce something off a moderator. Who do I PM? I always figured the triangle thing was to report infractions.

Whirlpool
2008-Dec-05, 03:53 AM
Congratulations to all the new Moderators!

That's reasonably accurate, though if one's ethics are sound, being a mod shouldn't crimp their style (or contributions).

Yes... but... Do you know what SuperDuperAdmin Secret Lairs look like?

I have the utmost confident our mods, new and old alike, will moderate fairly, and effectively!

So, not to worry, Whirlpool - not to worry. Matters are well in hand...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mugaliens/ToSeeked.jpg

Before anyone gets too excited, please reference the word between super and admin, above - Thanks.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :think:

I'm still ......

Jim
2008-Dec-05, 05:12 AM
Ok, congratulations to the new team. I was wondering, is there a thread somewhere that lists who's on or off at any given time? I mean, there are times when I have PM'd a particular mod (not to report a post(er)) because he has been prompt about helping me with advice or issues relevant to posting. But let's say I'm on the otherside of the world and I have the need to bounce something off a moderator. Who do I PM? I always figured the triangle thing was to report infractions.

Why, yes, there is... sort of.

http://www.bautforum.com/1219203-post3.html has a list of Moderators (updated). Click the name and you go to the Mod's Public Profile. If the green light is on, so is the Mod. You can send a PM from there.

Or, go to the bottom of the main page. There is a list of all Members currently on-line. Click the name... same thing.

John Jaksich
2008-Dec-05, 06:28 AM
Congrats and good luck

WaxRubiks
2008-Dec-05, 07:14 AM
I'll probably get into trouble for this but; here is the British contingent of the moderator teem..

http://www.gallifreytwo.co.uk/images/lastofthesummerwine.jpg

sorry Chrissy...:shifty:

ETA: or maybe not......to quote starwars: "I've got a bad feeling about this...."

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Dec-05, 07:29 AM
I'll probably get into trouble for this but; here is the British contingent of the moderator teem..

http://www.gallifreytwo.co.uk/images/lastofthesummerwine.jpg

sorry Chrissy...:shifty:
If that is what it takes to be a mod I have at least a couple decades to go, I haven't even made kilopi yet. Congrats all at least I think I am good terms with you already, enjoy the last of your summer wine.

captain swoop
2008-Dec-05, 07:48 AM
that's me on the right.

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-05, 07:55 AM
Oh sure, take the best lookin' gent of the lot and leave the others to us. I'll never pass for the tall one, so...rats.

2008-Dec-05, 08:04 AM
Younger and hipper than I expected.

tusenfem
2008-Dec-05, 08:36 AM
Wow, seeing all these secrets, I had no idea how powerful I was going to be. We don't even have this kind of power in the Bavarian Illuminati. Oops, I don't think I was supposed to be mentioning that. Will I get banned now?

Veeger
2008-Dec-05, 11:53 AM
Or, go to the bottom of the main page. There is a list of all Members currently on-line. Click the name... same thing.

Of course..:doh:

Argos
2008-Dec-05, 12:02 PM
I assume stability of mind

Plotting the modsī locations, it seems that quality is in short supply outside the Anglosphere and Northern Europe. :)

I for one welcome our nordic overlords.

mahesh
2008-Dec-05, 12:13 PM
14, officially. But Josh and kashi have been away for a while, so 12 for all practical purposes.

Yah....i have been wondering about kashi....last i recall, he was horsing around in Japan, and that's it.
suddenly went incommunicado.

and Dave Mitsky?! i really do miss his input and interactions here.

My heartiest congratulations to my fellow BAUTZENs, who have 'moderating' roles to play as well, now.

What a pleasant surprise!

Kudos to ye all!

captain swoop
2008-Dec-05, 01:34 PM
Actualy the one on the right is Peter Sallis, known to millions as the voice of Wallace. As in 'Wrong Trousers'

The picture is an old one of the cast of a long running BBC comedy called 'Las of the Summer Wine' of the 3 he is the only one still alive.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-05, 02:42 PM
Wow, seeing all these secrets, I had no idea how powerful I was going to be. We don't even have this kind of power in the Bavarian Illuminati. Oops, I don't think I was supposed to be mentioning that. Will I get banned now?

Yes, but now you can do it yourself.

jlhredshift
2008-Dec-05, 03:24 PM
I for one, will concentrate on deleting SPAM before moving on to the "good stuff" like banning people who mis-use apostrophe's'es.

Cheers,

I'm in deep trouble!

And welcome all.

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Dec-05, 03:40 PM
I see Sticks is already banning people but doesn't he know every mods first banning has to either Neverfly or Doodler.:)

NEOWatcher
2008-Dec-05, 03:46 PM
I see Sticks is already banning people but doesn't he know every mods first banning has to either Neverfly or Doodler.:)
Maybe this was just a test banning.

mike alexander
2008-Dec-05, 03:49 PM
Are Neverfly and Doodler the equivalent of sacrificial anodes?

Whirlpool
2008-Dec-05, 03:51 PM
Maybe this was just a test banning.

I think it's a spammer..

:think:

NEOWatcher
2008-Dec-05, 03:56 PM
I think it's a spammer..
Yes; If you were to take my post without the humor that was intended.
Sticks has a few "test" threads floating around... (yes; not many, but they do stand out for some reason)

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Dec-05, 04:00 PM
Are Neverfly and Doodler the equivalent of sacrificial anodes?
I do not know about sacrificial because to I am not to sure on their purity.:)
edited: forgot something.(half awake postings sometimes do not go right)

Tog
2008-Dec-05, 04:15 PM
Sticks has a few "test" threads floating around... (yes; not many, but they do stand out for some reason)

'Cause they are not packaged individually, they come by the dozen.:lol:

Whirlpool
2008-Dec-05, 05:17 PM
I do not know about sacrificial because to I am not to sure on their purity.:)
edited: forgot something.(half awake postings sometimes do not go right)

Wait 'til Doodler comes back .

:whistle:

Gigabyte
2008-Dec-05, 08:02 PM
Except for Chrissy I have never heard of any of those new Mods.

Fazor
2008-Dec-05, 08:38 PM

Are you suggesting that these are ficticious people that They(tm) invented to use as tools in fighting to maintain The Lie, as seen in the CT and ATM sections of this forum? Never!

;)

NEOWatcher
2008-Dec-05, 08:43 PM
Are you suggesting that these are ficticious people that They(tm) invented to use as tools in fighting to maintain The Lie, as seen in the CT and ATM sections of this forum? Never!
Or implying a cast of sock puppets for ToSeek?

antoniseb
2008-Dec-05, 08:46 PM

You just don't get around to the other forums.

2008-Dec-05, 08:56 PM

Who's this Chrissy?

tusenfem
2008-Dec-05, 09:04 PM

That's strange, we had already big discussions.

Fazor
2008-Dec-05, 09:04 PM
Who's this Chrissy?

A prominant figure in the Royal English division of They.

chrissy
2008-Dec-05, 09:07 PM
Who's this Chrissy?

:neutral:

Fazor
2008-Dec-05, 09:08 PM

Ban him Chrissy. You know you're itch'n to try that button out... ;)

ABR.
2008-Dec-05, 09:16 PM
Welcome to BAUT Robinson and 01101001! There are a lot of BAUTers so it may be awhile before you meet them all. Make sure you read the Rules and have fun posting.

chrissy
2008-Dec-05, 09:21 PM
Tempting, but I don't want to abuse my position as A prominant figure in the Royal English division of They. ;)

Fazor
2008-Dec-05, 09:26 PM
Non-abuse of power is a sackable offense in the organization of They. Haven't you read your Overlord Handbook?

chrissy
2008-Dec-05, 09:29 PM
Mine must be in the post! :(

Gigabyte
2008-Dec-05, 09:33 PM
Who's this Chrissy?

ha! :D

Gigabyte
2008-Dec-05, 09:35 PM
But seriously, I don't recognize those names at all. This is a good thing.

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-05, 10:01 PM
I thought you and I had discussions in the past. Ah, the burden of being completely unmemorable...

slang
2008-Dec-05, 10:20 PM
Welcome to BAUT Robinson and 01101001! There are a lot of BAUTers so it may be awhile before you meet them all. Make sure you read the Rules and have fun posting.

You made me LOL. Scared the cat too.

mugaliens
2008-Dec-05, 10:32 PM
Tempting, but I don't want to abuse my position as A prominant figure in the Royal English division of They. ;)

It's ok. Just don't bring a gun to a nukefight...

http://planetsmilies.net/violent-smiley-1444.gif

Gigabyte
2008-Dec-05, 11:26 PM
I thought you and I had discussions in the past. ...

I would have remembered. Just like now, if I ever see a PetersCreek post, I will think, "hey! that's the dude nobody remembers".

Neverfly
2008-Dec-05, 11:42 PM
I would have remembered. Just like now, if I ever see a PetersCreek post, I will think, "hey! that's the dude nobody remembers".

Heh others remember;)
PetersCreek does not post often, but when he does, it's a good idea to pay attention.

Gigabyte
2008-Dec-05, 11:49 PM
Well, he had posted 6 times already in this thread, and I didn't notice, so he might be right.

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-06, 01:44 AM
Heh others remember;)
PetersCreek does not post often, but when he does, it's a good idea to pay attention.

Thank you. In these times of economic crisis, it's nice to get more credit than one deserves. :whistle:

Whirlpool
2008-Dec-06, 01:45 AM
Maybe the New Moderators can Tell Something about Themselves and Their Backgrounds just like the Last Group of Moderators have done .

That would be a Start for us to Know You All More.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-06, 01:46 AM
Thank you. In these times of economic crisis, it's nice to get more credit than one deserves. :whistle:

You can take it as a genuine compliment, too. Because I forgot you were a mod now:doh:

Paracelsus
2008-Dec-06, 11:55 AM
Does anyone know what happened to Nereid and Jim? Are they still with us?

geonuc
2008-Dec-06, 11:57 AM
Does anyone know what happened to Nereid and Jim? Are they still with us?
Jim is anyway. He performed a mod service for me just recently.

captain swoop
2008-Dec-06, 12:03 PM
Nereid resigned her position as a Mod due to other commitments I think.

Why not ask?

WaxRubiks
2008-Dec-06, 12:11 PM
Nereid was posting threads about black holes only a few weeks ago.

mike alexander
2008-Dec-07, 02:27 AM
Peters Creek knows more about distilled spirits than I thought possible. I offered him a partial liver transplant if necessary by PM, but he never replied.

Oh, wait; yes, he did. He says he'd prefer the transplant in a hospital.

Uh-oh. Now I've gone and revealed a PM. Granted, it's a fake PM, but I don't know how to disprove it.

hhEb09'1
2008-Dec-07, 02:35 AM
Uh-oh. Now I've gone and revealed a PM. Granted, it's a fake PM, but I don't know how to disprove it.
I've found a secret button in the mod room which will allow me to generate that PM for you. As well as its negative.

Which means we can prove anything. So, go ahead.

mike alexander
2008-Dec-07, 02:40 AM
Thank you, but I've found that I can avoid the problem by sending an AM.

Jim
2008-Dec-07, 05:17 AM
Yes, I'm still here and, contrary to a rumour I seem to have started myself with a (I thought) very witty tongue-in-cheek comment, I am not retiring from Mod Biz.

So, to those who sent me PMs congratulating me on my retirement and wishing me well, tough.

Tobin Dax
2008-Dec-07, 06:13 AM
Mike, put the gun down. I'm sure if you ask nicely, you can be made a mod, a sheriff, or whatever else you want to be. It'll be hard to get someone to replace Madeline Kahn, though.

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-07, 08:31 AM
Peters Creek knows more about distilled spirits than I thought possible. I offered him a partial liver transplant if necessary by PM, but he never replied.

Aw, c'mon now...I much prefer quality over quantity. My liver is just fine. It's the rest of me that's having trouble.

Musashi
2008-Dec-07, 09:22 AM
If it ever came down to it, I would vote for Mike as a mod. Reading his witty and verbose (or terse if the situation warranted it, I am sure) warnings and ban notices would be a blast.

mugaliens
2008-Dec-07, 11:27 AM

In these times of economnic crisis, it'd be nice to get paid for all the hard work moderators do (cough, sputter), but (hack..)

Seriously - moderation can be hard work. Mostly, the "hard" part involves the annoying duty of cleaning up after other people's messes, whether by (on the offender's part), inattention, sloppiness, indifference, or a disregard for the rules. It's only the latter which gets people into trouble, though the other things can certainly earn one a bad reputation, not only with the mods, but with the others, as well.

PetersCreek, Neverfly's right - when you have something to say, I've learned to stop and pay attention. Your thread on building a new PC was very informative, and you're posts are the antithesis of word salad, or "graphorrhea," the psychological condition we discovered along the way.

Good luck - I wish you and the other mods the best on your new endeavors!

2008-Dec-07, 03:13 PM
Not huge, but I could do without the cute titles (some of) the new mods have taken. And old? I'm not in a mood to check them; what I recall is seeing 3 new mods with odd/creative titles.

When I glance at a title to see what type of member is writing, which is rare as a percentage of my life, but must happen at least once a day, for me it's much more useful and less error-prone to see a clear "Moderator" tag, and not a more decorated version.

Maybe I'll reach a point where I know the mods by their names and avatars, but I'm far from it now. I do rely on the text title, and right now, for at least a few, that tag is not as communicative as it could be.

In my opinion the cost in clarity is not offset by the gain in, what, cleverness? Individuality? Whimsy? Noise? See... I'm at a loss even to understand the value. If it is to continue, what's the reason for doing it?

(It's like if suddenly the local police officers started sticking a unique personal adjective on their official badges -- if daily scrutiny of at least one badge were something I did, and I swear I'm only accosted by an officer and need to check no more than a few times a month.)

Sticks
2008-Dec-07, 03:22 PM
Well I thought mine was clever, as it references a component used in a nuclear reactor, the graphite moderator which prevents a runaway chain reaction leading to a nuclear explosion.

(Assuming I have got that component right) :shifty:

2008-Dec-07, 03:33 PM
Well I thought mine was clever, as it references a component used in a nuclear reactor, the graphite moderator which prevents a runaway chain reaction leading to a nuclear explosion.

Yeah, I got the reference.

For those who indulge, could the creativity be saved for signature space, and the official tag left to be more official looking? It'll save me milliseconds of confusion daily, at least a few.

Over my planned centuries of BAUT membership, these brief moments could add up to whole person-minutes of befuddlement.

Again, this is probably only in the high 900s in my list of top 1000 things wrong with the Universe. Don't sweat it.

Fazor
2008-Dec-07, 04:08 PM
for what it's worth, I agree onesandohs.

Moose
2008-Dec-07, 04:33 PM
Yeah. I'm leaning that way as well. As you say Binary, it's not something that's very high on the list of things that need fixing, and I'm not going to lose sleep over it either way, but it's better, I think, when the mod hats all look the same.

trinitree88
2008-Dec-07, 04:35 PM
Congratulations to one and all.
I know them all just a bit, except Chrissy, who likes gardening..... This is like the twilight zone. ....you have now entered a region of time & space....where you have new responsibilities for which you will receive no pay..:shifty:(only adulations):lol: welcome to the reality of the world's economic conditions.
My dad always warned me about staying in jobs where they give you a title instead of a pay raise( I was head stock boy of Garland Mill's aisle 9,10,&11 once...now, there's a title:shifty:)
If you're in the area of the school, after making some beer, we usually distill it in the lab, and make our own whiskey and white lightning...demonstrating that industrial chemistry is not beyond the reach of highschoolers, but since I almost never touch distilled beverages (beer & wine,yes)...it slowly collects until some enterprising individual offers to take it off my hands. I don't attempt the single malt scotches, but one of my former students works for Miller brewery....seems to fit right in. pete

mugaliens
2008-Dec-07, 06:01 PM
...Binary.

Fazor says "onesandohs."

What's next, 01101001? "Squarewave?"

:lol:

But, I concur! The various monikers are befuddling.

At the very least, I would request that the first word would always be "Moderator" or "Admin." Of course, that would knock "Vulcan Moderator" out of the park... But we could grant ToSeek an exception, as who could forget Spock's alter ego from one of the multiverses? But then if we grant ToSeek an exception, then why not others?

Ah... I suppose I'll just have to adjust.

mugaliens
2008-Dec-07, 06:06 PM
The transmission was mostly garbled... This came through:

Congra ... rissy ... twi ... space ... responsibilities ... school ... lab ... beer ... distill ... whiskey ... white lightning ... highschoolers ... distilled beverages (beer & wine,yes) ... single malt scotches ... former students ... Miller brewery ...

pete

You blowing up the lab with your juvenile delinquents again, Pete?

2008-Dec-07, 06:15 PM
[...] I think, when the mod hats all look the same.

You just made me think of newbies. I had only expressed my own preference before, but when I think of the poor new people -- the ones who most need to be able to spot a moderator easily -- I must wonder if it might not cause them more problems.

Sure plenty of forums are way way looser than BAUT, to the point of titles being choose-your-own meaningless, almost an alternate signature space. But I, with my admittedly pathological imagination, can foresee newbies wondering: "I need help on this issue, but should I ask the Graphite Moderator, the Smooth Moderator, a plain-vanilla Moderator... and what the heck is the difference? Oh, well, this is too confusing; I think I'll join GLP instead."

(OK, yeah, that last part about GLP was just hyperbolic filigree serving no useful purpose. Kind of like some adjectives I've met.)

Now, this unimportant issue suddenly seems to be moving up in my top-1000 list. It could soon be in the mid-high-900s. The horror.

Edit:
Of course, that would knock "Vulcan Moderator" out of the park...

Oh, yeah, it was that non-troublemaker who established the precedent, wasn't it? I forgot. Life was simpler then. There were few mods and I recognized ToSeek's moderator-ness from his avatar alone. I didn't and don't need to scan his title. Now with the new guard, when I see authoritative-looking words, and go to check on the actual authority of the source, an avatar just isn't enough.

hhEb09'1
2008-Dec-07, 06:32 PM
But I, with my admittedly pathological imagination, can foresee newbies wondering: "I need help on this issue, but should I ask the Graphite Moderator, the Smooth Moderator, a plain-vanilla Moderator... and what the heck is the difference? Oh, well, this is too confusing; I think I'll join GLP instead."Newbies: do NOT ask the Smooth Moderator, he will be an impostor.

WaxRubiks
2008-Dec-07, 09:13 PM
*tries to fool 01101001 that I'm a mod*

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Dec-07, 09:58 PM
*tries to fool 01101001 that I'm a mod*
Watch out Neverfly might send a PM.

Fraser
2008-Dec-07, 10:41 PM
Hmm, the ability for moderators to give themselves custom titles is obviously giving them too much power. I'm going to curtail that, and remove the "End Universe" button from the interface.

hhEb09'1
2008-Dec-07, 10:54 PM
Rats. I was saving that trick for the school holiday party on Saturday.

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-07, 11:01 PM
You're going to leave the "Create Alternate Universe" button intact, though...please?

I assumed an individualized title after asking myself, "they wouldn't have given us the feature if they didn't want us to use it, right?" In light of the reasonable points raised here, however, I've trimmed off "Borealis"...at least until I've earned my stripes, established my cred, and/or proved my mettle.

Besides, seeing as how "Borealis" has it roots in the name of the Greek god of the North wind, I don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm too full of myself. :whistle:

chrissy
2008-Dec-07, 11:25 PM
I'm glad I left mine alone. :D

Moose
2008-Dec-07, 11:30 PM
You know, Fraser, the entire problem would be solved by an official script that published one random PM every day. I guarantee that everyone would polish their manners to a very fine gleam and show the same courtesy in PMs that they do out here.

/ Mostly joking.

Fraser
2008-Dec-07, 11:40 PM
Either that or remove the PM functionality entirely. We provide the PMs as a service to the community, and I think they give people too much anonymity. People can communicate through their own email or IM systems. Anyway, just something I'm mulling over.

slang
2008-Dec-07, 11:49 PM
Either that or remove the PM functionality entirely.

Oh please no! Forum PM's serve a very practical purpose. I don't need the average forum-user to know my IM or email details (I know about the 'send mail through forum' option. How to reply without giving email away?). I like the private messages concerned with this forum to be concentrated within this user interface, and keep my other contact options for the use of those I invite.

Whirlpool
2008-Dec-07, 11:57 PM
Hmm, the ability for moderators to give themselves custom titles is obviously giving them too much power. I'm going to curtail that, and remove the "End Universe" button from the interface.

Oh , it's the " End Universe" button that causes that .

hmmm..:think:

Fraser
2008-Dec-08, 12:02 AM
Oh please no! Forum PM's serve a very practical purpose. I don't need the average forum-user to know my IM or email details (I know about the 'send mail through forum' option. How to reply without giving email away?). I like the private messages concerned with this forum to be concentrated within this user interface, and keep my other contact options for the use of those I invite.

But I also think that it gives people too much anonymity. You can say rude and hurtful things without having to be accountable for your actions. I think people are willing to say things through a PM system when they can do so without any kind of repercussions and impact on their permanent reputation. And maybe that needs to change.

Like I said, just a thought. It just seems strange to me that it's somehow our responsibility for people's private conversations with each other.

Moose
2008-Dec-08, 12:03 AM
Either that or remove the PM functionality entirely.

PMs are useful. Slang's right. It's just too valuable to have a communication medium that's reasonably private and that doesn't necessarily expose one's real contact information to abusers or spammers.

As I see this situation:

1) As I've said earlier, mods have to be able to communicate with one another in order to function. Far too easy to play mods off each other if they can't talk to each other about what's been said.

2) In the real world, there's always a risk that talking about someone behind their backs will get out. If you can't deal with the consequences of it, don't do it.

3) Intentionally creating a public poostorm is rarely the most effective way to go about seeking a resolution, especially on short notice. One tends to get very, very dirty in the process.

Whirlpool
2008-Dec-08, 12:05 AM
Either that or remove the PM functionality entirely. We provide the PMs as a service to the community, and I think they give people too much anonymity. People can communicate through their own email or IM systems. Anyway, just something I'm mulling over.

PM 's and Emails are a useful tool of communication. I just hope people will not abuse the freedom that is given to send and receive informations via these tools.

It's a Personal Responsibility.

slang
2008-Dec-08, 12:17 AM
But I also think that it gives people too much anonymity. You can say rude and hurtful things without having to be accountable for your actions. I think people are willing to say things through a PM system when they can do so without any kind of repercussions and impact on their permanent reputation. And maybe that needs to change.

In such a case I would forward such a PM to the moderators and/or admins. Privacy is one thing, but owners (and their appointed moderators) should be told when the system they pay for is being severely abused. I would expect said PM to remain within the admins/moderator team. (except when it would be very obvious that no action could be performed without at least partly divulging some of my PM.)

I would expect a little bit more leniency in PM than in public, but not a carte blanche to say whatever I want to another member here in PM with no consequence. And vice versa, if someone severely insults me through PM, I expect that such a situation will be handled by the mod team.

Privacy is a relative concept. Everyone within the hosting company where this forum is located could theoretically listen in to my PM's. There is no absolute privacy on the internet. Not without advanced encryption, and even then you depend on recipient to keep everyone away from their PC (which might be hacked. As might be your own.). Not to mention the NSA. :silenced:

In short, using the PM feature should never render one unaccountable. The hurdle might be a bit higher than in a public part of the forum, but a hurdle should be there.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-08, 12:18 AM
Fraser, running the forum includes taking responsibility for the forum you run.

Your answer to a problem is to Shut Down PM's?

Can you find some solutions that are NOT just the easy way out?

chrissy
2008-Dec-08, 12:20 AM

Sounds good and have a contact a moderator button if you need to speak to a moderator on a matter, a list of moderators pop up who is on line and the member can click on their name.

Since there is a profile page to talk to one another already.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-08, 12:21 AM
It's time for me to quit this forum.

slang
2008-Dec-08, 12:43 AM
Can you find some solutions that are NOT just the easy way out?

Did Fraser say that it was the only possible solution, or even the only possible solution he was thinking of?

Neverfly
2008-Dec-08, 12:49 AM
Did Fraser say that it was the only possible solution, or even the only possible solution he was thinking of?

How about this as a solution:

Clarify What the Privacy Policy is on BAUT.

Should a Moderator Break it- They should receive a warning- just like anyone else.

Why don't we use the Chat function to reserve it for Moderation.

Get the parties involved in the chatroom and hash it out in real time in order to prevent mistranslations of PM's, breaking confidence, lack of disclosure or dishonesty.
It's hard to not be truthful if the other person is there in real time.

And Slang, for your information, I just so happen to know a bit about how seriously Fraser considered that option. But I can't tell you why without breaking confidence....:rolleyes:

Whirlpool
2008-Dec-08, 12:52 AM

Like I said, just a thought. It just seems strange to me that it's somehow our responsibility for people's private conversations with each other.

Fraser , if the current issue is the one that influenced you in thinking about Shutting PM's , Pardon me but you are being subjective here.

We need those (PM's / emails) to talk about matters that doesn't need Other People to see and know . It's more on the Personal Level. And it's a Personal Responsibility. All of us has the capacity to think and weigh if a certain issue if we are able to solve by ourselves or Do we need the help of others. It's Not You or the Moderators whos is Responsible here BUT US. It's Our Call. Regardless of the Position, a Moderator or a Member.

Taking that out is like putting Band-Aid on the wound but not dealing with the Real Cause of it.

The Issue is an Eye-Opener for us that there are things that went out of hand. The Issue is a Reminder that we are getting Relax and Laid Back that we tend forget to check ourselves that we need to be careful with our actions.

We are human beings and we are Not Perfect.

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Dec-08, 12:55 AM
The thing is some people have realize is that everyting you do online can be accessed by people even if what you wrote was not intended to see.

I know that Neverfly has issues with one of the new mods. But if the mod treats Neverfly differently then everyone else. Then Neverfly should bring this up to the mods and admins and resolve the issue then and there.

PMs are good because sometimes there are things you want discuss to someone directly but I would never think that they are absolutely private.

antoniseb
2008-Dec-08, 12:58 AM
The thread about Neverfly's complaint was shut down. Please don't turn this into another thread I can't participate in.

slang
2008-Dec-08, 12:59 AM
deleted, sorry

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Dec-08, 01:01 AM
So if mention Neverflys thread Antoniseb can not post, hmm interesting.:)

Fraser
2008-Dec-08, 01:07 AM
Like I said, disabling PMs was an off-hand idea, mostly unrelated to the current issue that's going on. I can see that people like their PMs, so consider it off the table.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-08, 01:10 AM
Fraser, would you be open to the idea of (This is not my own idea, but I'll let he who said it take credit on his own terms) adding Admins?

Because ummm...

From what you have said and others, you two are very busy. It might be very beneficial for you both if you had another Admin available- sayyy... To Seek.

As an Off hand Nomination.

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Dec-08, 01:23 AM
It would be logical.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-08, 01:32 AM
It would be logical.

It would be very logical.

A lack of Admin participation resulted in the thread you just referred to.

Admin participation as a result of that thread has resulted in no solution.
It has resulted in....- Nothing.

Except for tossing the idea out there to disable PM's.

That's like picking the leaves off an Ivy plant to get rid of the Ivy. It won't work. You must get to the root.

I have a very STRONG impression at this point, having just been exchanging PM's with Fraser himself- That seeking out an admin is a futile effort on this board.

Now... We have all heard that this is a "Benign Dictatorship."
But is that Truly the case?
Given the subject matter contained in the rules of this forum, Fraser and Dr Plait canNOT do whatever they want to do.
They still must answer to the Members of the board if that board is going to be successful.
If they are too busy to do so, that's fine. But it seems logical that they should have an admin that is not too busy available.

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Dec-08, 01:46 AM
Neverfly I was joking.

But since this whole thing started I was trying to get it through your thick skull you were over reacting.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-08, 01:55 AM
Neverfly I was joking.

But since this whole thing started I was trying to get it through your think skull you were over reacting.

davidplf, now is not the appropriate time for jokes.

Your own opinion (and undoubtedly others) is that I am over-reacting.
However, I am not.

Let me spell this out:
I had an issue.
I PM'ed Both admins about Two separate issues.
I got no response. In spite of the fact that the pm's were read.

Now see... This is just My Nature.
Being a soldier type of guy- The kind of person that will sling a weapon on his shoulder and be willing to go get killed.
I don't care if I get humiliated.
I don't care if you think I am over reacting.

I am tired of getting treated like junk everywhere I go. I go to Wal mart and get told that clerks can't accept a $100 bill as store policy. What? I'm not one of those people that goes "Well ok I guess..."
I over react.
I talk to the manager. The manager tells me that is NOT store Policy and handles thse situation.

If I go to McDonalds and get mouthed off at by a sneering employee behinds the counter, I don't go grumbling off to a table.
I over react.
I talk to the manager. The manager agrees with me that employess have no business being rude to customers.

I'm not going to put up with it. Too many people put up with it.
Not at gas stations- Not at McDonalds- Not from the Government or a Court House...
If I'm wronged- I speak out.

I don't care if you think I should not.

I don't care if it causes drama or makes life wearisome if I speak out. I'm tired too. I been choppin' trees for three days now. I'm sore. I'm tired.
I'm not gonna make those into excuses for laying down and sayin' to myself to let myself be wronged.

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Dec-08, 02:15 AM
I guess it is just two different ways of seeing the situation. I do not think there should be more admins I think some people should use some common sense. There are situations where you should protest and other times to find a compromise.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-08, 02:23 AM
I guess it is just two different ways of seeing the situation. I do not think there should be more admins I think some people should use some common sense. There are situations where you should protest and other times to find a compromise.

True.

So what do you do when a protest is ignored, you fell like you've been violated and a compromise can only be reached through effective and efficient communication?

mugaliens
2008-Dec-08, 02:30 AM

I do not believe that's your responsibility. Instead, I believe handling PMs sent to me is my responsibility, just as it's my responsibility use the PM function responsibly. If someone PMs me with junk, I treat it as junk and throw it away. If they persist, I'll start deleting them without reading them. If it gets ugly, I might report it to a mod, but only the uninvited and rampant PMing, not its contents.

Trying to ride herd on PM issues is really not a part of the admin/mod job description, at least not in my experience.

I agree with others that getting rid of the PM function altogether would be analogous to getting rid of cars because of accidents. It's the driver's responsibility to ensure safely drive their vehicle. Getting rid of all cars because of a few accidents is, well, overkill.

In this light, I ask that the PM function continue!

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Dec-08, 02:32 AM
I do not think your protest was ignored I think they are trying figure out what the compromise would be.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-08, 02:36 AM
I do not think your protest was ignored I think they are trying figure out what the compromise would be.

My impression from the PM I received is quite OtherWise:neutral:

If I call up the manager at a restaurant where a waiter called me fat... and he hangs up the phone... Should I feel like they are working on it?

Whirlpool
2008-Dec-08, 02:42 AM
I do not believe that's your responsibility. Instead, I believe handling PMs sent to me is my responsibility, just as it's my responsibility use the PM function responsibly. If someone PMs me with junk, I treat it as junk and through it away. If they persist, I'll start deleting them without reading them. If it gets ugly, I might report it to a mod, but only the uninvited and rampant PMing, not its contents.

Trying to ride herd on PM issues is really not a part of the admin/mod job description, at least not in my experience.

I agree with others that getting rid of the PM function altogether would be analogous to getting rid of cars because of accidents. It's the driver's responsibility to ensure safely drive their vehicle. Getting rid of all cars because of a few accidents is, well, overkill.

In this light, I ask that the PM function continue!

Mugs, you expressed it very well than I did.

Thank you .

Neverfly
2008-Dec-08, 02:43 AM
Would I have even needed to call the manager had that waiter turned to me and said, "I messed up and I'm sorry about that"?

Neverfly
2008-Dec-08, 02:56 AM
The waiter did not do that. What I saw was the possibility of a deeper problem, that I would have to Act Fast before it burrowed too deep for me to catch.

2008-Dec-08, 03:19 AM
[...] we've added the following moderators:

PetersCreek hhEb09'1 captain swoop tusenfem Sticks pzkpfw chrissy

Yes, welcome added moderators to your new rolls.

I sincerely hope you are enjoying providing friendly service to your friendly fellow BAUT members.

I know all members certainly appreciate your efforts, your sacrifice, your caring, 100 percent. You old-fogey's too.

stutefish
2008-Dec-08, 03:24 AM
Inflammatory comment deleted.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-08, 03:25 AM
Or end the drama. Either way.

http://www.bautforum.com/1383479-post191.html

HenrikOlsen
2008-Dec-08, 03:38 AM
I'll go out on a limb here since it seems that this thread did get derailed anyway.

In my opinion, and without knowing the content of the PM: if it had been passed on it would have been an unacceptable violation of trust.
Snarky comments trying to make light of or denying this is not helping in any way.

I don't know what gave the impression that it was passed on, but both the purported sender and recipient has stated clearly that it was not passed on.

To get back to the waiter/manager analogy, what would you have the waiter do if he hadn't actually messed up? Would you expect him to apologize for something he didn't do?

Neverfly
2008-Dec-08, 03:52 AM
I'll go out on a limb here since it seems that this thread did get derailed anyway.

In my opinion, and without knowing the content of the PM: if it had been passed on it would have been an unacceptable violation of trust.
Snarky comments trying to make light of or denying this is not helping in any way.

I don't know what gave the impression that it was passed on, but both the purported sender and recipient has stated clearly that it was not passed on.

To get back to the waiter/manager analogy, what would you have the waiter do if he hadn't actually messed up? Would you expect him to apologize for something he didn't do?

The recipient was the one who informed me of the PM and had shown it to me.
The recipient has given me permission to disclose all of that information to the Moderators. And showed me the relevant PM again in the process.
I believe...
That if there is confusion in whether it was sent or not it may be because the sender was thinking of a different PM. That is me giving the send the benefit of the doubt.
However...

This is why I said I acted fast. Had you been in my shoes, you undoubtedly would have had the same reaction.
The impression was strongly given that "I'm telling you one thing but passing your messages on behind your back."
The only reason that it's publicly known that it was a New Moderator- is because that is very relevant to whether or not the reasons stated (sharing with the Mods) was valid. Since that new mod was the topic of the confidential PM, and was brand new, sending the PM but NOT Informing any other Moderator looks like an act of confidence broken- Not Moderation.
If such is going on- that is a Major Problem- I acted fast before it could burrow down.

If not and I make a fool of myself- then so be it.
It would be worthwhile if it was. I mean, if we can't trust the Moderators with our messages...

And HenrikOlsen, as a moderator, perhaps you can move relevant posts to the proper thread.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Dec-08, 04:11 AM
And HenrikOlsen, as a moderator, perhaps you can move relevant posts to the proper thread.
I tried, but couldn't without ending up with two confusing threads.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-08, 04:14 AM
I tried, but couldn't without ending up with two confusing threads.

That's not surprising.. the whole thing is a confusing mess with very few people having enough information to be only slightly confused instead of totally confused.

timb
2008-Dec-08, 04:16 AM
Yes, welcome added moderators to your new rolls.

Rolls?:eek: I didn't know they were so well remunerated.

Congratulations to all. I'm sure you will do your best for BAUT.

antoniseb
2008-Dec-08, 04:27 AM
In spite of my previous request, this thread has gone way off topic. I'm closing it. If someone has something to say about the new batch of moderators, in the form of a welcome type comment, please PM the new moderator with your cheery message.

antoniseb
2008-Dec-30, 12:44 PM
I have added Swift to the list of moderators.

ToSeek
2009-May-19, 04:01 PM
kashi has stepped down as a moderator.

Swift
2013-Oct-07, 01:05 PM
chrissy has been re-instated as a moderator after an extended absence from the forum.

Spammers beware, the sheriff is back in town.

Sticks
2013-Oct-07, 04:39 PM
Like - oops forgot this is not facebook

chrissy
2013-Oct-07, 06:31 PM
Mwhahahahahahaha!

Firstly I would like to thank my parents, to both of which I wouldn't be here without them, secondly my kitteh because she made me write this.........erm :shifty: Thank you all! :D

NoisyAstronomer
2013-Oct-13, 04:25 AM
Hello, Chrissy! Will your kitteh be typing as well?

When mine does it looks something like dmszdmasmzlkxxkmdjfjJDMJ>