PDA

View Full Version : Cruise ship stranded on Antarctic coast

Nadme
2008-Dec-04, 11:51 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/12/04/stranded.ship.antarctica/index.html

Lovely. :( And the weather is predictably NOT good. Passengers said to be safe and healthy, thankfully.

My husband wants us to take a cruise some day. But what with bacteria scourges, pirates and incidents like these...no thanks.

Hopefully all will be safely rescued.

Swift
2008-Dec-05, 02:30 PM
I still would encourage a cruise. My wife and I have done a Windjammer in the Caribbean and a small ship (100 passenger) cruise in Alaska and loved both. As a matter of fact, the cruise line we went on in Alaska had one of their ships hit a small iceberg a few weeks before we went and was damaged enough that passengers had to be taken off. I remember seeing video of it and the people are laughing and having fun as they get into the life boats - a little extra adventure (plus their cruise price was refunded). And we had a blast when we went.

Plus, I don't think there are too many pirates in Antarctica.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-05, 02:44 PM
Ok.. Pirates?

What?

Have you SEEN how big cruise ships are?

Must be some phenomenally amazing pirates:neutral:

megrfl
2008-Dec-05, 02:47 PM
My husband wants us to take a cruise some day. But what with bacteria scourges, pirates and incidents like these...no thanks.

My husband, yearly, asks: "Are we gonna do a cruise this year?", I feel exactly as you do. No thanks. :)

This link has some interesting data about the size of cruise ships.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081102135131AA3Cp2P

The ship in Anartica has to be small; considering the number of passengers and crew on board. I think small would be worse. :sick:

Moose
2008-Dec-05, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about cruises, Nadme. The vast majority of them are perfectly safe, like any other vacation using any mode of transportation whatsoever. Things can go awry on any trip. It's mainly just that cruise ships (and aircraft) get a lot of attention when they do. And we're getting somewhat desensitized to coverage of aircraft mishaps.

Piracy is a special problem around Somalia right now, but most cruises don't go anywhere near that area.

After the two or three cruise ships that were quarantined due to bacteria, Cruise Liners have taken steps to prevent re-occurrences. Not that I was really paying attention, but I haven't heard of a similar problem in the last year.

And Swift covered the groundings.

Moose
2008-Dec-05, 02:56 PM
Ok.. Pirates?

Yup. Cruise Ships. IIRC, one had been taken in the past year or two, and just last week, a cruise ship outran (the seas were up, apparently) a piracy attempt. There have been other similar stories. The waterways around Somalia and Yemen have long been a big raiding ground.

They got a supertanker and a ship carrying soviet era hardware (tanks and such). Plus dozens of container ships in the past year. They're a piece of work, all right.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-05, 02:59 PM
Yup. Cruise Ships. IIRC, one had been taken in the past year or two, and just last week, a cruise ship outran (the seas were up, apparently) a piracy attempt. There have been other similar stories. The waterways around Somalia and Yemen have long been a big raiding ground.

They got a supertanker and a ship carrying soviet era hardware (tanks and such). Plus dozens of container ships in the past year. They're a piece of work, all right.

Just.. hypothetically... and I'm not asking out of any particular reason but ummm...
Do they hire by umm..
Ok you know what- nevermind:doh:

Anyway, For you ladies commenting on your husbands- You know them well of course, but I'll just say:
Sometimes they ask because they wanna do those nice things husbands want to do for their wives.

If you decline, they may think you still want the cruise, but are worried about money etc, so if you REALLY don't want to do, make sure you're clear as to why;)

Of course, they may just want to go themselves and hope to talk you into it. But I felt the urge to throw another angle out there.

megrfl
2008-Dec-05, 03:36 PM
Of course, they may just want to go themselves and hope to talk you into it. But I felt the urge to throw another angle out there.

In my case, my husband does want to go on a cruise. His bestfriend takes them frequently with his wife and they always come back with great tales of how much fun they have had... They also love to go to Vegas.

A vacation/holiday to me is without all the glitz and glam. I like getting back to nature. Water, rivers, creeks, lakes, mountains, trees, lots of trees, wildlife, cabins, and very few people.

Now I do frequent Disney World, but I gotta have the thrill and adreneline rush of Tower of Terror every once in a while.

So, will he suprise me with a cruise?, probably, and I will just grin and bear it. :)

HenrikOlsen
2008-Dec-05, 03:36 PM
Just.. hypothetically... and I'm not asking out of any particular reason but ummm...
Do they hire by umm..
Ok you know what- nevermind:doh:
I believe the first criterion is that you have to be a fellow poor Somalian, the second is that you have to accept being hunted by one of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absalon_class_command_and_support_ship) while floating around in a rubber dinghy.

Argos
2008-Dec-05, 04:24 PM

A world of difference between there and the South Cone. The Argentine Armada is particularly sensitive and zealous about these waters. They consider the Antarctic peninsula an integral part of their territory.

The only problem when going to Antarctica is the swing on the Drake, case the weather happens to be bad [almost every day].

Neverfly
2008-Dec-05, 05:26 PM
In my case, my husband does want to go on a cruise. His bestfriend takes them frequently with his wife and they always come back with great tales of how much fun they have had... They also love to go to Vegas.

A vacation/holiday to me is without all the glitz and glam. I like getting back to nature. Water, rivers, creeks, lakes, mountains, trees, lots of trees, wildlife, cabins, and very few people.

Now I do frequent Disney World, but I gotta have the thrill and adreneline rush of Tower of Terror every once in a while.

So, will he suprise me with a cruise?, probably, and I will just grin and bear it. :)

Heard that!

For me a cruise would not be a vacation at all. Tellin' me what to do, where to go etc...
But a forest?..... THAT's getting away!:D
Nothing quite as refreshing as getting back to your roots.
So in your case, I would suggest that if he takes you on a cruise, you focus your attention on him more than the cruise. Spillover effect.
I believe the first criterion is that you have to be a fellow poor Somalian,
With a little make up and some speech therapy...

the second is that you have to accept being hunted by one of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absalon_class_command_and_support_ship) while floating around in a rubber dinghy.

I got a tin opener, Govnah.

Swift
2008-Dec-05, 06:09 PM

I would really recommend you look into Small Ship Cruises. We sailed on Cruise West, but there are others. Instead of one of these floating cities with 5000 people, you are talking about a ship maybe 100-150 feet long, with 80 to 100 passengers and about 20 crew. The on-board entertainment is sitting around with your fellow passengers, reading a book, or sitting on deck watching the whales go by. Getting dressed for dinner means pants and a shirt. There are really designed for people who want to actually see nature and the scenery, and not to go to the disco or the climbing wall.

I am completely uninterested in the big ship experience (yes, I imagine a lot like Vegas, something I also am not interested in), but I would do a small ship again in an instant.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-05, 06:17 PM
Getting dressed for dinner means pants and a shirt. .

You mean on big ships they go to dinner naked?:eek:

Moose
2008-Dec-05, 06:48 PM
I was on a jury where the defense attorney tried to argue that shirt-only was not "naked". So no, you don't go naked on big ships. On big ships, the rule is "no shoes, no service", and men wear a tie at the Captain's table. :D

megrfl
2008-Dec-05, 07:33 PM
So in your case, I would suggest that if he takes you on a cruise, you focus your attention on him more than the cruise. Spillover effect.

Yes, try and make the best of it for dear ole' (44) Fred (I swear that is his real name). :)

There are really designed for people who want to actually see nature and the scenery

That is on my list of things to do: Whale watching. I think I could stand what you are describing. Especially if I could dress casual to dinner and etc. :)

Swift
2008-Dec-05, 07:52 PM
You mean on big ships they go to dinner naked?:eek:
I know you guys are making fun, but I'll give a serious response, at least for those in the studio audience..... no, it is my understanding that on the big ships, "dressed for dinner" generally means a suit and tie (and pants :p) and the equivalent for the ladies.

KaiYeves
2008-Dec-05, 08:27 PM
After that vacation, I can bet they'll need another vacation!

Lurking Nerd
2008-Dec-05, 08:49 PM
I know you guys are making fun, but I'll give a serious response, at least for those in the studio audience..... no, it is my understanding that on the big ships, "dressed for dinner" generally means a suit and tie (and pants :p) and the equivalent for the ladies.

I've been on a few week long cruises on big ships and what I've seen is that 2 nights are formal (suit and tie, evening gown) and the rest are listed as something like dress casual. This basically boils down to nice slacks and dress shirt for men and a nice dress for the women. I have seen jeans and t-shirts before so I don't know how much this is enforced. Of course, you can always just go to the buffet where you're OK as long as you have something on.

mugaliens
2008-Dec-05, 09:59 PM
Have you SEEN how big cruise ships are?

I loved how the one cruise ship got away. It outran them.

It does bring to mind a new upper deck entertainment option for the guests:

Ye Olde Pirate Shoot

http://planetsmilies.net/violent-smiley-1408.gif

Neverfly
2008-Dec-06, 12:00 AM
So the ladies wear a suit and tie too?

Yes, try and make the best of it for dear ole' (44) Fred (I swear that is his real name). :)

Well.. If I had a wife, I'd figure that would help me out... Focus on her instead of the... it. Thing.http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/106.gif

I loved how the one cruise ship got away. It outran them.

Captain Smith smiled from Davey Jones Locker.