PDA

View Full Version : Another question about venus-jupiter-moon

tychobrahe
2008-Dec-04, 11:55 PM
Is there a place on earth from which the current venus-jupiter-moon triangle will appear with a 'frowny face' moon instead of a 'smiley face' moon? If so, where?

ngc3314
2008-Dec-05, 01:50 PM
Is there a place on earth from which the current venus-jupiter-moon triangle will appear with a 'frowny face' moon instead of a 'smiley face' moon? If so, where?

Lots of them - but that happens in the daytime for a lunar crescent, so people don't usually notice. (My grandfather tried to get me with that one when I was very young - a variant of the farmer's tale about having rain when the horns of the crescent are positioned to let the water fall out).

tychobrahe
2008-Dec-05, 03:33 PM
Right. But what about this particular arrangement? The reason I asked was because a news guy was heard saying that on this triangle would have a 'frowny face' depending on where you were on Earth. So I thought - possibly in the southern hemisphere. But today's APOD addresses that thought.

loglo
2008-Dec-14, 02:54 PM
A friend of mine heard the same thing in Australia except that the frown was supposed to be visible from the northern hemisphere! Another astronomy urban legend?