PDA

View Full Version : Serious question

Siguy
2008-Dec-05, 01:22 AM
When the Soviets detonated Tsar Bomba, were there reports of penguins shooting up into the air in Siple Island, Antarctica? :whistle:

sarongsong
2008-Dec-05, 01:39 AM
Not til now. :rolleyes:

mugaliens
2008-Dec-05, 01:50 AM
When the Soviets detonated Tsar Bomba, were there reports of penguins shooting up into the air in Siple Island, Antarctica? :whistle:

Were they self-propelled, or were they bailar La Bomba?

sarongsong
2008-Dec-05, 02:08 AM
Checking Recorded History... http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
Top 100 Hits of 1961
1. I Fall To Pieces, Patsy Cline
2. Tossin' And Turnin', Bobby Lewis
3. Michael, Highwaymen
4. Cryin', Roy Orbison
5. Runaway, Del Shannon...
Music Outfitters (http://www.musicoutfitters.com/topsongs/1961.htm)

megrfl
2008-Dec-05, 03:24 AM
Novaya Zemlya Island is where the testing of the Tsar Bomb took place.
74 degrees N and 56 degrees E.

Siple Island is where the penguins were possibly "shooting up in the air" :) (which btw would be tragic).
73 degrees 39' S and 125 degrees 12' W

A huge distance between the two.

Where did you hear this? or Was this a not so serious question and I am just a sucker? Regardless I learned a few things, so that can't hurt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novaya_Zemlya
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siple_Island

2008-Dec-05, 03:49 AM
74 degrees N and 56 degrees E.
73 degrees 39' S and 125 degrees 12' W

A huge distance between the two.

Almost the hugest.

I believe Siguy was asking about effects at the approximate antipode of Tsar Bomba, as if the force of the minuscule weapon would transmit straight through planet Earth and bop the penguins on their heinies.

megrfl
2008-Dec-05, 03:55 AM
Almost the hugest.

I believe Siguy was asking about effects at the approximate antipode of Tsar Bomba, as if the force of the minuscule weapon would transmit straight through planet Earth and bop the penguins on their heinies.

This may shock you :), but I kinda thought that that was what he was asking.

Veeger
2008-Dec-05, 04:45 AM
The OP is titled "Serious Question" but maybe that's part of the gag.
Frankly, I'm not getting it.

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-05, 06:24 AM
Well, as an Alaskan, I can attest to the confusion some people have about the places penguins live. Sadly, far too many people have asked me if I've seen them up here. I always answer that I've seen them on occasion, though...every time I've gone to the local zoo.

SeanF
2008-Dec-05, 02:18 PM
"Straight through planet Earth"? Of course not - that would be silly.

The shockwave from the explosion travels around the Earth - along the surface, in all directions - and the antipode would be where that shockwave meets up with itself again.

See? Not so silly.

;)

2008-Dec-05, 04:46 PM
The shockwave from the explosion travels around the Earth - along the surface, in all directions - and the antipode would be where that shockwave meets up with itself again.

Yeah... So, then, the penguins were imperceptibly squeezed instead of imperceptibly lifted? Maybe lifted first, then squeezed? Like a Wonderbra.

How did the penguins feel about this?

stutefish
2008-Dec-05, 04:53 PM
Not squeezed. The ground beneath their feeet squeezed. Which would presumably produce a lifting effect.

sarongsong
2008-Dec-05, 05:43 PM
...and the antipode would be where that shockwave meets up with itself again...and the shockwave's antipode might be...where?

Fazor
2008-Dec-05, 05:56 PM
Well, as an Alaskan, I can attest to the confusion some people have about the places penguins live. Sadly, far too many people have asked me if I've seen them up here. I always answer that I've seen them on occasion, though...every time I've gone to the local zoo.

Yeah, that's silly. You're much to far north for penguins. We do, however, have them here in Ohio. People think they're cute, but they stink and are a real nusiance when they rummage through your refuse bins.

...and yes, I DO live in my own little world of boredome and weirdness.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-05, 06:30 PM
Yeah, that's silly. You're much to far north for penguins. We do, however, have them here in Ohio. People think they're cute, but they stink and are a real nusiance when they rummage through your refuse bins.

...and yes, I DO live in my own little world of boredome and weirdness.

We have a lot of problems with them here in Texas when they flow south for the winter.

Fazor
2008-Dec-05, 06:31 PM
Imagine the number the do to cars on the way down! "Look out below!"

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-05, 06:35 PM

That particular niche is filled by seagulls and ravens...oh, and geese. A walk in the park is no walk in the park when they're in town.

Neverfly
2008-Dec-05, 06:49 PM

That's just in Ohio.

Everything's bigger in Texas.

mugaliens
2008-Dec-05, 10:12 PM
That particular niche is filled by seagulls and ravens...oh, and geese. A walk in the park is no walk in the park when they're in town.

Geese can be pretty territorial. They scratch.

megrfl
2008-Dec-05, 10:39 PM
Geese can be pretty territorial. They scratch.

Have you ever been goosed by a Goose? My sister was when she was probably eight years old; left a nasty bruise. They are extremely territorial. :eek:

sarongsong
2008-Dec-06, 12:15 AM
...and make for excellent alarm systems! :)

TrAI
2008-Dec-06, 09:33 PM
Hmmm... I have it! The russians predicted the extinction of the penguin due to them doing like this kiwi(YouTube video) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdUUx5FdySs), and tried to design a safer way for them to experience flight?

mugaliens
2008-Dec-06, 11:08 PM
That was cute! And touching.