PDA

View Full Version : The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

xbck1
2003-Nov-07, 05:04 AM
I was at Barnes & Noble today and I couldn't resist... it was only a few bucks!

Ah, I must get the rest of the "trilogy". They're all really great.

Ripper
2003-Nov-07, 11:42 AM
They are all good, but the original was far and away the best. I would put So Long and Thanks For All the Fish in the number two position. When you are done with the fith book in the now rather innaccurately named "Hitchhiker Trilogy" Check out Good Omens.

Amadeus
2003-Nov-07, 01:00 PM
They are all good, but the original was far and away the best. I would put So Long and Thanks For All the Fish in the number two position. When you are done with the fith book in the now rather innaccurately named "Hitchhiker Trilogy" Check out Good Omens.

Good omens I would say is one of the best books I have ever read.
Also If you like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy its worth checking out the T.V series of it. But read the book first.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not impossible just highly improbable

Ripper
2003-Nov-07, 01:03 PM
Good Omens is a fun read. It is not as funny as HGTG. The disertation on Vogon Poetry had me on the floor laughing.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Nov-07, 08:59 PM
I have the "Trilogy in 5 Parts" version, so I've only read it as one long book. Can't really vote...

My favourite part was when someone's intestines strangled their brain in an attempt to save civilization from the person's poetry.

Anyone read "The Salmon of Doubt"?

zebo-the-fat
2003-Nov-07, 09:19 PM
The original BBC radio series was total perfection, the later T.V. version was rubbish!
The book "The Salmon of Doubt" is worth reading, it is not fiction but more a sort of biography (is that how you spell it??) of Douglas Adams... very funny. Written from notes and things left on his computer after his death, also includes a part story about Zaphod. It is full of interesting stories about his life and his attitude to religion and gods in general. (He claimed to be an evangelising atheist!)
Read it!! :D

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Nov-07, 10:13 PM
I have! It also has an unfinished 3rd book in the Dirk Gently deries. Very good.

Andromeda321
2003-Nov-07, 11:09 PM
The original was the best by far!
I also thought The Salmon of Doubt was pretty good. Except for the part that I knew it was the last Adams book ever and didn't want to finish it...

Jpax2003
2003-Nov-08, 06:30 AM
I really liked The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul as well. However, I thought it would be about Wowbagger, not Thor. I was hoping for more alien insults. I want to slip behind an atom!

I still like Life, The Universe, And Everything because of Krikket. Slartibartfast comes to the rescue in a ship powered by Bistromathematics!!

Odinoneeye
2003-Nov-08, 09:54 AM
Hitchhiker's Guide - Great!
Restaurant - All right
Life - Dull
So Long - Stopped reading it
Mostly - Never tried

I think my complaint with Life was that it explained some of the more surreal parts of Hitchhiker's. I liked them surreal.

John Jones
2003-Nov-08, 06:42 PM
Many years ago, a company called InfoCom(?) had a text-based game based on HitchHikers' Guide to the Galaxy. It was a scream.

Anyone remember it?
I had the version for the Commodore 64 (I told you it was a long time ago!)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Nov-08, 06:57 PM
Here it is:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3486

Don't worry, looks like it's public domain now.

Krel
2003-Nov-08, 07:14 PM
Are the cd's of the Radio show still avaliable? I've been looking for them for years, but no luck.

The tv show wasn't that bad, the book graphics are what make it though. My favorite was the people cursed with telepathy.

David.

John Jones
2003-Nov-09, 04:14 AM
Here it is:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3486

Don't worry, looks like it's public domain now.

Thanks for the URL, but don't tease me like that again!

I thought you were telling me that the Infocom game " The HitchHiker's Guide To The Galaxy" was in the public domain. [-X

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Nov-09, 04:24 AM
It is, isn't it?

xbck1
2003-Nov-10, 02:30 AM
I did the download, but I can't get it to work on my computer. I have the .zip and I extracted it, but how do I get it to work? :-?

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Nov-11, 02:37 AM
Odd, used to work. Now all that I get is a *.z5 file...

Anyway, here's an online version:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/redirect.php?id=3486&url=http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocom.html