PDA

View Full Version : Continuing BA on Smallville

chasklue
2003-Nov-07, 02:36 PM
This season continue's the tradition of Smallville's showing the Kent barn at night with the crescent moon in the sky, with the horns pointed down and to the left and the lit limb up and to the right. When the sun is down, the lit limb must be aimed down. Of course strange things happen in Smallville, but this adds nothing to the plot line.

CluelessRubbaDuckee
2003-Nov-11, 05:23 PM
what do you mean? :o
~Rebecca

daver
2003-Nov-11, 07:02 PM
what do you mean? :o
~Rebecca

The situation chasklue described (lit side up, dark side down) means that the sun must be above the horizon.

I'm going to try to describe 3-d geometry without pictures, something i don't visualize very well in the first place, so this likely won't come out too well.

The moon is a sphere, half in sunlight, half in shadow. Pretend for a moment that there's a tall tower right in the middle of the lit face--this tower will point directly towards the sun (maybe it would help to think of a yellow tootsie pop that you've dipped halfway down in chocolate--the dark side (usually the top side) of the tootsie pop will be the side away from the sun, the yellow side (bottom) will be the side facing the sun, the stick points to the sun). OK, mentally take your dipped tootsie pop and rotate it to the situation chasklue described (you can see a bit of the yellow, the horns of which point down and to the left). So you start out with the stick pointing directly away from you, but have to rotate the stick up a bit and to the right so you can see some of the yellow. So the sun has to be above the moon and to its right.

Maybe a half-dipped cheese ball on a toothpick would be a better model than a tootsie pop. Caramel apples aren't really round enough.

CluelessRubbaDuckee
2003-Nov-15, 08:21 AM
i almost get it now. but who is chasklue? a character in Smallville? i probably sound really dumb lol. and what are horns? i'm still a bit confused. sorry. hense my username lol. but i see that the sun brightens up the moon on one side and the moon is dark on the other because there's nothing to brighten it with. if i made any sense, i haven't a clue lol.
L8er!
~*~Rubba Duckee~*~

kilopi
2003-Nov-15, 11:23 AM
i almost get it now. but who is chasklue?
The poster who wrote the original post

But I'm just guessing

daver
2003-Nov-17, 05:40 PM
i almost get it now. but who is chasklue? a character in Smallville? i probably sound really dumb lol. and what are horns? i'm still a bit confused. sorry. hense my username lol. but i see that the sun brightens up the moon on one side and the moon is dark on the other because there's nothing to brighten it with. if i made any sense, i haven't a clue lol.
L8er!
~*~Rubba Duckee~*~

Yes, Kilopi is right, my references to chasklue were to the original poster.

As to the horns, look at a crescent moon. If you don't see something that looks kind of like horns i'll try to explain further.

CluelessRubbaDuckee
2003-Nov-18, 06:49 PM
ok. i got the Chakslue part.
so when the moon is cresent, it looks like a smile (like the cheshire cat) the two 'corners of the mouth' look like horns. right? i think i'm actually getting it! =D>
ttyl
~*~Rubba Duckee~*~

daver
2003-Nov-18, 08:06 PM
ok. i got the Chakslue part.
so when the moon is cresent, it looks like a smile (like the cheshire cat) the two 'corners of the mouth' look like horns. right? i think i'm actually getting it! =D>
ttyl
~*~Rubba Duckee~*~

Right. Now, pretend that the cheshire cat has a stick coming out the back of his head. For a narrow smile, the stick is pointing just a bit downwards, for a big smile (a semicircle smile) the stick is pointing pretty much straight down. Now, take your cat head and maneuver it so the smile is pointing the way the moon was described in the original post. In this case, the cat has to be about halfway between sideways and upside down (an arrow drawn from his nose to between his ears would be pointing at about 7:30), the stick out the back of his head will be pointing a bit to the 1:30ish of directly away.

(Do i need a disclaimer warning against trying this experiment with a real kitty? They don't usually smile under these circumstances).

CluelessRubbaDuckee
2003-Nov-19, 06:57 AM
:o AGH AGH AGH AGH AGHSHF SGAH FHFAHF AHJ!!!! CAN NOT COMPUTE! #-o BRAIN STORAGE OVER LOADING!! #-o WARNING! BRAIN WILL EXPLODE!! :o

sorry peoples. i just cant get it yet. im not a math person. nor am i a star and planet and moon person (i know. then why am i here?).... nevermind. sorry you can't get me to understand. it must be me. i'll just say i get it and leave it at that.

and i feel sorry for the cat lol! :wink:

~*~CLUELESS Rubba Duckee~*~