PDA

View Full Version : Upward and Outward or Stay Home and Veg?

SAMU
2003-Nov-07, 06:29 PM
If all the money we spend on wars was spent on one of the two choices which one would you vote for.

Upward and Outward being developement of a permanantly sustainable extraterrestrial civilization.

Stay Home and Veg being sustainably ending hunger, curing disease, educating everyone and ending death saving the environment.

Assuming that Stay Home and Veg means that we would lose the incentive for Upward and Outward and greatly slow its developement.

Or

Assuming that Upward and Outward means that we would lose the incentive for Stay Home and Veg and greatly slow its developement.

Madcat
2003-Nov-07, 06:32 PM
Up and Out. Think long term for a generation or two and some day we'll be better off back on Earth also. Expanding our turf hasn't managed to hurt the species yet.

darkhunter
2003-Nov-08, 11:08 AM
You are askingg an astronomy board this :D

I say upward and outward--not keeping all the eggs in one basket...

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-02, 04:42 AM
Definitely upward and outward, but results on this board are going to be horribly skewed in that direction, surely. Also, is it really PC to describe sustainably ending hunger, curing disease, educating everyone and ending death saving the environment as `Staying at home and Veging?'

I think those are goals we'll always have, and we'll always strive for, and I of course invite you to infer the obvious from that. But they should never detract from our ambitions and goals in Outer Space.

Halcyon Dayz
2005-Dec-02, 08:39 AM
We can have both.

Harvestar
2005-Dec-02, 09:01 AM
I think the best opinion I heard on this subject (though it's a bit more about studying astronomy in general, but applicable to space exploration) was this one:

I'd been an astronomer for 15 years before I decided to enter the Jesuits. And I did my undergraduate work at MIT and my doctorate at Arizona. And at one point I wondered why was I wasting my time doing astronomy when people are starving in the world - a little voice of conscience.

So I joined the Peace Corps. While I was there, I discovered that I loved teaching. But mostly I discovered that the people in Africa, the people in Kenya, where I was, wanted to know about astronomy. That's what they wanted from me. And they were as fascinated and as excited about it as I was, as anyone in America.

And I understood then why it's important. It's one of those things that makes us more than just well-fed cows. It satisfies a really deep hunger to know, to go someplace, to explore. And that is a hunger that is as human, as basic to human beings as food and shelter and anything else. And it's denied to a person only at the cost of denying them their humanity. By telling poor people, "No, no, you have to go hunt for food, you can't do astronomy," you are saying that they're less than human. And that's wrong. And it's a tragedy.

- Dr. Guy Consolmagno in an interview with Henry Bortman

thecolorofash
2007-Mar-16, 09:32 AM
Upward and Outward ;-) in search for it - whatever it is..

Doodler
2007-Mar-16, 12:25 PM
You are askingg an astronomy board this :D

You'd be amazed by the number of "stay at home and launch robots" Luddites around here.

jumbo
2007-Mar-16, 12:41 PM
Stay home and veg will not only cause us to stagnate it will kill us. When that big rock from above comes all our strides in eradicating disease extending life and all the rest will be over.

Upward and Outward provides a future and also the basis for some of the elements that are good about the stay home and veg option.

Swift
2007-Mar-16, 01:17 PM
Wow, that's an old thread. I didn't vote, I think it is a false choice. Given not spending money on wars, there is no reason that we couldn't do both. In fact, one would benefit the other.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Mar-16, 02:16 PM
I say Up & Out. But it depends on with whom.

If I get assigned to the B ark; I'll stay behind.

On the other hand, if all that's left behind are trailer parks with open wells in the back yard and pick-ups with rags for gascaps - I'll take the first flight to anywhere.

Fazor
2007-Mar-16, 03:50 PM
I'm one of the few that picked "stay home and veg".

But I sorta think it's a faulty question, as either option would also advance the other. Cure disease and educate more people, end hunger, and you have more people with the qualifications and longevity to make other discoveries.

Make bold scientific advances, and the results are bound to help fight aformentioned problems. So really, I think either one works.

Torsten
2007-Mar-16, 04:32 PM
I'd destroy the ballot. False choice.