PDA

View Full Version : Pseudoscience pays off.

Rue
2008-Dec-09, 01:54 AM
In canada there is a show called Dragon's Den (IIRC the UK has their own version of this show.) In it wannabe entrepreneurs have to convince established millionaires to invest in their products, services etc.

I just saw a man "demonstrate" an overunity device and land himself a million dollar deal.

oh mercy!

Van Rijn
2008-Dec-09, 02:20 AM
That's not new, I'm afraid. At one time, it was the philosopher's stone, but even free energy claims (and people getting money for them) go back centuries.

timb
2008-Dec-09, 02:37 AM
That's not new, I'm afraid. At one time, it was the philosopher's stone, but even free energy claims (and people getting money for them) go back centuries.

According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons%27_Den)one of the criticisms of the show is that the supposed deals rarely actually go ahead, so this may just be theatre.

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Dec-09, 04:48 AM
well there is always other ways pseudoscince pays like homeopathy and the like.

Rue
2008-Dec-09, 05:53 AM
^ yes but i've never seen anyone pushing woo make a million dollar deal in 5 minutes. The man making the presentation was dropping names of both public and privately owned power generation companies and one university claiming that they expressed interest.

That investor is probably going to get a lot of advice about this, if he has not already.

Here is their wacky website if interested:
http://www.vorktex.ca/

Comments on the DD forum:
http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/pitches/magnacoasters.html

(Perhaps it was the t-shirt!!!)

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Dec-09, 06:19 AM
hopefully there is an out for the investor otherwise he has been had.

EEPhillips
2008-Dec-09, 07:06 AM
@David, Yeah I saw the episode, the investor made it clear that the machine had to work or the guy got nothing. The investor owns some energy company in calgary, so I suppose he thought the odds were that it didn't work, but if it did he would want in on it.

peter eldergill
2008-Dec-09, 06:04 PM
I read the comments on CBC's website. I can't believe how many people think that this perpetual motion machine will work. What a scam.

Also, according to those who have looked at the website, you basically need to send the guy cash or money order...hmmm...wonder why that would be...

Pete

PS Dragon's Den is an awesome show and can be viewed online (at CBC website) for those who don't live in Canada or near enough to get CBC

mugaliens
2008-Dec-09, 07:26 PM
The man making the presentation was dropping names of both public and privately owned power generation companies and one university claiming that they expressed interest.

That investor is probably going to get a lot of advice about this, if he has not already.

That investor may get a visit from the SEC for making false claims to obtain investment income!

jfribrg
2008-Dec-09, 09:45 PM
That investor may get a visit from the SEC for making false claims to obtain investment income!

I didn't know that the SEC had jurisdiction in Canada.

undidly
2008-Dec-09, 09:45 PM
Please send me money and I will explain every detail of this scam.

Don't waste thousands on these non working machines.
Save lots by sending only ONE thousand to me at Scarper Investments.
If not entirely satisfied by my explanations you get ALL your money back if you can find me.

mugaliens
2008-Dec-09, 09:54 PM
I didn't know that the SEC had jurisdiction in Canada.

:doh:

Someone's always got an angle...

weatherc
2008-Dec-10, 01:42 PM
Please send me money and I will explain every detail of this scam.

Don't waste thousands on these non working machines.
Save lots by sending only ONE thousand to me at Scarper Investments.
If not entirely satisfied by my explanations you get ALL your money back if you can find me.
undidly, I will be glad to send you the thousand dollars. Unfortunately, my money (several million dollars' worth) is tied up in a bank account in Nigeria, and I need to transfer it to another account outside of the country. Could I possibly use your account to transfer the money to? I will need the account number, and also a small amount of collateral, say 500 dollars sent to me in the form of a check.

I can't wait to hear about the truth of this scam!

I sure hope no one takes anything in this post seriously...