PDA

View Full Version : Fembot

NEOWatcher
2008-Dec-11, 05:54 PM
Interesting news story, a bit of surprising technology and (of course:rolleyes:) the puns and insinuations (mostly in the video)
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/12/11/inventor.female.robot/index.html

An inventor who claims he has never had time to find a human girlfriend has created his own perfect woman -- a robot.
Le Trung, 33, from Toronto in Canada, says Aiko can do the cleaning, mix his favorite drink and read him newspaper headlines.

He denies it is a sex toy, yet named it "love child". Ok; I'm sure it translates differently.

Now; the sexism seems to be a bit more pronounced in China.
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/2008-12/11/content_7295459.htm

Handy with a Brillo pad - Aiko the robot.
An inventor has created his perfect woman, a robot who can do the cleaning, remember his favourite drink and read him the newspaper headlines.

Unfortunately the project site is down. http://www.projectaiko.com/

It's real enough that older people throw rocks at it. :think:

Argos
2008-Dec-11, 05:58 PM
Le Trung, 33, from Toronto in Canada, says Aiko can do the cleaning, mix his favorite drink and read him newspaper headlines.

Well, it seems he wants a maid, not a girlfriend.

NEOWatcher
2008-Dec-11, 06:00 PM

Actually, a nurse.

"I suffered a heart attack and I thought that one day I might need 24-hour care," he told Britain's Telegraph newspaper.

Fazor
2008-Dec-11, 06:01 PM
There's a ... difference? :confused:

Okay! Okay! I'm kidding. Sorry. :)

I thought your thread was going to be about the headline I saw that said something about a fem-bot built that can "slap men who get fresh with her". I didn't read the article, but the relevance means now I'll have to go figure out where I saw the headline.

ETA: Yeah, I guess it was the same story. That's what I get for counting on your snippits rather than following your links. ;)

Moose
2008-Dec-11, 06:55 PM
Heh. This story ran on Fark a few days ago. You can just imagine some of the comments that were made. (And if you can't imagine, *snicker* you're probably better off that way.)

Buttercup
2008-Dec-11, 07:01 PM
Anyone for a re-read of "The Stepford Wives"??

Buttercup
2008-Dec-11, 07:05 PM
I want a masc-bot that looks just like a favorite Hollywood actor to scratch my back, bring me a diet soda... :P

Donnie B.
2008-Dec-12, 02:27 AM
Does Aiko have a pair of Uzis in her, um, bosom?

Ara Pacis
2008-Dec-12, 03:50 AM
I suppose if it was a sex toy it'd be called "Fem-booty".

Whirlpool
2008-Dec-12, 04:13 AM
Mr Trung has designed Aiko with a touch-sensitive face and body so she reacts in a natural way if she is shown affection or hurt.

He said: "She has all senses except for smell."

That statement says a lot more .

hmmm :think:

TrAI
2008-Dec-12, 05:06 AM

He denies it is a sex toy, yet named it "love child". Ok; I'm sure it translates differently.

Hmmm... My japanese is very limited, but I think that the name Aiko(That is, the form "愛子"), would mean "Child of love".

Ronald Brak
2008-Dec-12, 05:30 AM
Aiko is a very common name in Japan. You can't really read anything into that.

I predict that in 20 years time thousands of people will openly have robotic "companions." And millions more will have them but lie about it. Or claim they got it for its accountancy package.

Buttercup
2008-Dec-12, 01:45 PM
My favorite "fembot" is Rachael from Bladerunner. I've included a pic of her in my Profile [days ago/prior to this thread]. How could Deckard have resisted falling in love with her?