PDA

View Full Version : Ford Focus being sold for quite cheap, should I go for it or stay clear?

Ross PK81
2008-Dec-13, 09:31 PM
Hi, I've been looking in Autotrader for a Focus for a long time now.

The cheapest they usually go for is around 2000 to 2500.

I've seen one for 1,395 which seems unusually cheap, and they're not saying there's anything wrong with it.

So what gives? Surely if it's a piece of crap and they're not letting on, then why not sell it for a price a decent Focus can go for?

I know I could go and see the car myself, but it is 18 miles away and if I'm going to see a car, I'd want to hire a mechanic to check it out which costs money.

So, I'm wondering if I should bother going to see it or whether I should just forget about it.

Here's the link, http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/FORD+FOCUS/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-9-14-69-110-240-4294967193-4294967194/advert.action?R=200849112332614&distance=18&postcode=ol13+8pe&channel=CARS&make=FORD&model=FOCUS&min_pr=1000&max_pr=3000&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2001&vehicleRegLetter=Y

chrissy
2008-Dec-13, 11:15 PM
Do you not have any friends who know a bit about cars, it is after all a "Y" reg 7 years old, or you can take it for a pre-MOT there is sometimes a small charge or free, take it out with the owner for a test drive and feel how it is running, there could be many reasons why people are selling up. "needing money for christmas or been banned for driving etc".
There is no harm in going to see it, you could be missing a bargain if you decide not to go.

closetgeek
2008-Dec-16, 01:03 PM
It is possible that they don't need the money and just want to get it off their hands. Any car I have had after I purchased a new one, was priced to sell fast, if not given to someone who needed it. Some simple things to look for are body rust, though that may not be an indication of anything other than just poor cosmetic maintenance, but if they don't take care of the outside, there is a good chance they didn't take care of the engine either, though not a guarantee. Check the oil for sawdust. My husband got duped with that once. When you start it, listen for ticking. Let it idle to see if it runs in the normal RPM range. When you shut it off, listen for hissing or a boiling noise. Those are some of the worst things I can think of, off the top of my head.

captain swoop
2008-Dec-16, 04:33 PM
What's the number of miles on the clock?
Do the usual look for wear on tghe pedal rubbers and drivers seat. look at how smooth the steering wheel is worn. Try to start it from cold and listen for the tappets and look for smoke. Check that the inside of the oil filler cap is clean and there is no emulsified oil, that can indicate a head gasket leaking (not unknown on a ford esp the Zetek engine, the heads can warp)

Other than that the Focus is a good reliable car.