PDA

View Full Version : But you guys do it for free...

ToSeek
2008-Dec-18, 03:39 PM
Forum Posting Services (http://www.forum-posting.info/index.html)

What exactly do "Forum Posting Services" do?
To put it simply, we give your forum a boost by posting in it.

How does a package help my forum?
When starting a new forum, it is hard to attract members. The public is seeking for active forums. If there is another forum on your topic that's more active than you, chances are that a visitor would rather join that discussion rather than yours. Our writers post in your forum and start active discussions, thus encouraging the public to join and participate.

How are your prices so low?
We find writers that are willing to post at low costs because they are interested in your forum topic.

(Linked to from an ad appearing at the top of the BAUT home page.)

2008-Dec-18, 03:52 PM

Forum Members Local No. 58
Vote Today to Strike!
for better rates

Where's my 50 cents for this one? I want my 50 cents!

jokergirl
2008-Dec-18, 03:58 PM
Oh my... someone took Gaia Bumping services and applied it to forums.

*headdesks*

;)

Fazor
2008-Dec-18, 03:59 PM
This wouldn't work for me; I think people would be more inclined to pay me to stop posting.

tdvance
2008-Dec-18, 04:08 PM
Hmmm--is this like sending flowers "anonymously" to yourself at the office?

jokergirl
2008-Dec-18, 04:10 PM
I don't know? Is it?

Why do you send flowers anonymously to yourself at the office, tdvance?

;)

tdvance
2008-Dec-18, 04:12 PM
I don't, of course!

suntrack2
2008-Dec-18, 04:28 PM
interesting paid link here, Toseek.:)
suppose the baut forum was a paid link then do you think traffic at bautforum was restriced ! (just asking), paid forum means fee paid by the members to write a topic. !! (feedback)

sunil

Buttercup
2008-Dec-18, 04:53 PM
I don't get it.

mahesh
2008-Dec-18, 05:22 PM
from my understanding suntrack...buttercup (nice name), the guys in ToSeek's link are professional chaps, (i was surprised to see that there exist such creatures) who would come to your house/forum/fora/ whathaveyou and create / debate topics / subjects, basically start conversations so that outsiders looking in, would be interested to see what was going on here...and join in, in, in the ensuing discussions....'increase traffic'

Meanwhile, in the back-office, as it were, these same guys would be waiting for the site owner(s) to part with some hard (earned) cash.

Like at a street party, one would invite professional clowns, jugglers etc etc., to come entertain the kids. these profs would need to be paid, eventually...

what ToSeek is saying that we, nearly fifty thousand of us... as BAUTzens, do all this for free.

Now isn't that nice!

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-18, 05:59 PM
Is it any wonder my post count is so low relative to my years of membership? I tell ya, I'd settle for a ration of scotch...just not the cheap stuff.

Buttercup
2008-Dec-18, 06:00 PM
Oh. :) Thanks for the explanation, Mahesh. Sometimes things go right over my head...

Moose
2008-Dec-18, 06:40 PM
So what they're offering is to send professionals over to pretend to enjoy talking about the same things you do. Almost like they're agents being paid... to misinform...

*Looks around for the black helicopters*

jokergirl
2008-Dec-18, 06:44 PM
Well, enjoy and enjoy.
I don't think it's so much about information as it is about traffic and getting the post count up so that more people will be lured in to register on the forum.

You know, as opposed to... actually having content that you can talk about.

;)

Jay200MPH
2008-Dec-18, 07:50 PM
If my company goes belly up and I lose my job, I'm totally getting in on that gig.

- J

Salty
2008-Dec-18, 07:59 PM
I've read all your posts and now understand what that ad was all about.

But, going around and 'round somewhere in my mind, there's still a "ga...ga...ga".

What won't they think of next? Frankly, I prefer all of us doing it for free, because I know there are professionals in different fields, amongst you.

SeanF
2008-Dec-18, 08:39 PM
You mean the rest of you don't get pai....uh, I mean, yeah, we work for free! That's it!

HenrikOlsen
2008-Dec-19, 02:35 AM
But, going around and 'round somewhere in my mind, there's still a "ga...ga...ga".
Whenever enough people need something, someone else will be able to make a living supplying that.

It looks like enough people want to make discussion fora but are having trouble with the initial startup hump that there's money to be made pushing them over it.

Naturally this won't actually help them become successful, as that's dependent on the forum providing a real service for the participants, eg. though being related to websites with actual contents, but it will provide the owners with a warm feeling, at least for a little while.

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Dec-19, 05:41 AM
Darn found out.

Ara Pacis
2008-Dec-19, 05:47 AM
Well, If you really want to increase traffic, turn it into a dating site for science-minded people instead. Oh,wait... bad idea.

*Wanders off to his happy place*

mfumbesi
2008-Dec-19, 06:34 AM
I need to get myself that job.

jokergirl
2008-Dec-19, 07:35 AM
I need to get myself that job.

Why, when you can get a job playing WoW for money?
Mind - it's not really that fun grinding all day.

;)

Abbadon_2008
2008-Dec-19, 08:23 PM
2000 posts for $297?

Maybe I should offer my 'services' to them? A few pesos for a few hundred posts could well be worth it.

tdvance
2008-Dec-19, 11:05 PM
need a price list:

50 cents: u haz 900d point, mr!

1 dollar: me too.

10 dollars: very interesting--my take is....

100 dollars: What you posted could be modeled by the following differential equation, for which I shall provide my solution....

Moose
2008-Dec-20, 02:02 AM
2000 posts for $297?

Pretty obvious how the scam works. You pay them up front. They get a third world sweatshop (same type of setup as goldfarming) to set up a large number of astroturf accounts, then hit the accounts either with outright spambots, or in broken english "Have you see xyz.com? They pretty cool."

So the admin/dupe is faced with either a mass of persistent spam traffic or banning his astroturfers outright. They sell spam ads for as long as the astroturfing accounts exist. If they're banned, they keep the 300 bucks and... well... keep spamming the usual way.

BigDon
2008-Dec-20, 04:25 AM

(Linked to from an ad appearing at the top of the BAUT home page.)

Well?

Are you guys going to do it?

My posting skills have been a little off lately and this could help pick up the slack. :whistle:

Neverfly
2008-Dec-20, 04:54 AM
My posting skills have been a little off lately

Noticed that. You ok BD?

Ara Pacis
2008-Dec-20, 08:53 AM
Well?

My posting skills have been a little off lately and this could help pick up the slack. :whistle:

It's tough everywhere.

I'm worried that they may have to lay off some posters. I wonder if they'll go by seniority or go after the tele-commuters first.

mahesh
2008-Dec-20, 12:43 PM
Well?

nope....speaking for myself....

BD your posting skills are fine. one doesn't lose ones innate touch. it's a gift.

....just take it easy, keep well and try have a nice Christmas , you and your family and friends. Good wishes.

crosscountry
2008-Dec-20, 09:10 PM
Is this a hint that I should post more? I know I've been out of the game recently, but paying me to come back? :D

danscope
2008-Dec-21, 05:14 AM
Hi,
I like this forum because it is driven by intellect, and not by pure market force with ego - driven business. It exist for the grace of those who are willing to share a conversation around a campfire. We are not constrained by
how much money we have in our pockets....to talk with "freedom" in a world comunity at a most reasonable cost...ie the internet. And like Klatu said....
"We don't pretend to have achieved perfection; but we have a 'system' ,
.....and it works."
This and many other forums like BAUT serve us so very well, and seldom do they get sufficient praise for this gift.
In view of this, I should take a very dim view of suspect pirates who would take what is free and... working well in that freedom and invention,...and
"TAMPER" with such an attractive plaything for fun and profit.
This forum sails just fine by the grace of those who work hard to keep it up.
May Their success continue un-hindered by those who would interrupt our
sailing.
Clear skies, clear driveways, something to see with under your tree,
and good viewing.
Best regards, Dan

tdvance
2008-Dec-21, 04:48 PM
hmm..I have an idea...sue!!!! This thread proves it's our "right" to be paid for all our time posting! Minimum wage laws!!!!!

Ara Pacis
2008-Dec-21, 06:23 PM
Time to form a BAUT Writer's Union?

hhEb09'1
2008-Dec-21, 06:53 PM
Time to form a BAUT Writer's Union?I'm running for shop boss. The main planck of my platform is a guaranteed rate of poster recompense according to the formula γ (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/9945-eulers-formula.html#post187581)M2, where M2 is the contemporaneous rate for moderator (level II) postings compensation. That's fair, I think, and non-negotiable, since the formula is based upon subtle features buried in the fabric of the Universe. Two of my other plancks are free beer on Woosdays, and an active enforcement of a forum-wide ban of Pauly Shore.

Moose
2008-Dec-21, 07:02 PM
Sorry Grapes, you're management now. Wouldn't be appropriate.

hhEb09'1
2008-Dec-21, 07:19 PM
Hmmmm, ok, maybe, I'm still not salaried. But I withdraw my hat from the ring. I'll support anyone who picks up my four plancks--they can post next Woosday, if they want, and they can name their second born after me.

Swift
2008-Dec-21, 07:20 PM
Personnaly, I always prefer free-range posts, rather than those mass-produced ones.

Ara Pacis
2008-Dec-22, 07:52 AM
Organic only? Or do you accept cyborgs?

mahesh
2008-Dec-22, 12:32 PM
Is this a hint that I should post more? I know I've been out of the game recently, but paying me to come back? :D

Hey CC...how are you guys doing?
i tried twice to post on your Antartica thread...got seriously gremlinified both times...first one timed-out / lost in cyberspace...
great pictures...will try contact again, directly...

take care

Tobin Dax
2008-Dec-23, 05:40 AM
Ya know, that NASA paycheck has been getting smaller recently. :think:

crosscountry
2008-Dec-23, 10:49 AM
I'm running for shop boss. The main planck of my platform is a guaranteed rate of poster recompense according to the formula γ (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/9945-eulers-formula.html#post187581)M2, where M2 is the contemporaneous rate for moderator (level II) postings compensation. That's fair, I think, and non-negotiable, since the formula is based upon subtle features buried in the fabric of the Universe. Two of my other plancks are free beer on Woosdays, and an active enforcement of a forum-wide ban of Pauly Shore.
:lol::lol::lol:

that's all very fair, especially the banning of Pauly Shore:lol::lol:

peteshimmon
2008-Dec-23, 07:10 PM
I think I might retain this service to cheer
on my astronomy ideas! You guys seem uptight
most of the time:)

NB. Any PMs offering support for a
consideration will be reported, it is
unbiased intellectual support I need
from baut members.

hhEb09'1
2008-Dec-24, 09:54 AM
I think I might retain this service to cheer
on my astronomy ideas! You guys seem uptight
most of the time:) My Atmosphere Cheer:

Nitrogen, Oxygen!
Argon, Carbon Dioxide!
You can run,
But you can't hide!
Gooooooo, peteshimmon.

You know, that cheer would work better if we didn't have argon in the mix. Maybe we can just increase the carbon dioxide levels...

NB. Any PMs offering support for a
consideration will be reported, it is
unbiased intellectual support I need
from baut members.You have that, unconditionally, if you can stand the withering assessment.

peteshimmon
2008-Dec-24, 08:06 PM
Haven't noticed much withering assessment,
argon and missed it I guess.

hhEb09'1
2008-Dec-24, 08:25 PM
Haven't noticed much withering assessment, Cool (http://www.bautforum.com/general-science/65466-clever-fermat.html)

argon and missed it I guess.Now, that crosses the line!

peteshimmon
2008-Dec-24, 08:44 PM
Oh that line:) I knew I was dabbling then
anyway!

Yet...Thinking of Ulams spiral many years
ago, start in a corner and go out with the
intergers up and around and back etc. The
ever larger square has a base without primes
for ever! Odd square then even number!
Discovered by me all alone! And absolutely
trivial no doubt.

Chunky