PDA

View Full Version : Lines of stars in M13

JerryInWales
2008-Dec-18, 09:39 PM
On looking at the latest Hubble picture of M13 on their website, and using the maximum zoom, there appear to be several linear features near the top of the image as displayed. In one case, there's an arc of something like 23 stars going roughly horizontally across the frame.

Could this be because of a shockwave of some sort?

Jerry

NickW
2008-Dec-18, 09:47 PM
I took a look at it, but I also see stars forming vertical lines as well. I think its more coincidence, personally.

grant hutchison
2008-Dec-18, 09:47 PM
Welcome, JerryInWales.
Could you give us a link to the relevant webpage, so that we don't need to go searching?

Grant Hutchison

tdvance
2008-Dec-18, 09:51 PM
Are you referring to the "propeller" that amateur photographers try to make distinct in their photography?

I don't know the cause, if any.

JerryInWales
2008-Dec-18, 10:11 PM
Welcome, JerryInWales.
Could you give us a link to the relevant webpage, so that we don't need to go searching?

Grant Hutchison

This is the link:
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2008/40/image/a/format/zoom/

and the area I'm asking about is very near the top, slightly to the left of centre.

Yes, it could be coincidence, but it's quite a long feature. IAnd there is a vertical string nearby also: casts doubt on my origianl thought of a shockwave.

I've not heard of the Propeller: thanks for the pointer to more reading!

Jerry

NickW
2008-Dec-18, 10:16 PM
http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/entire_collection/pr2008040a/

here is the a picture of m13 where I saw what he was talking about. Of course, click on one of the bigger ones at the bottom :)

speedfreek
2008-Dec-18, 10:31 PM
No, I think Jerry is referring to what seems to be a whole set of stars in a long curved line, near the top of the image, nearer the lower of the two bright stars at the top.

NickW
2008-Dec-18, 10:33 PM
That is what I though he was talking about it as well.

speedfreek
2008-Dec-18, 10:53 PM
Yes sorry, my reply was referring to the propeller effect, but I forgot to quote the relevant post!

grant hutchison
2008-Dec-18, 10:56 PM
This is the link:
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2008/40/image/a/format/zoom/Thanks!

Yes, it could be coincidence, but it's quite a long feature.You've got to allow for how many randomly distributed points there are in the whole image: it would be surprising if there weren't fairly long linear or curvilinear features somewhere in that image.

Grant Hutchison

NickW
2008-Dec-18, 11:13 PM
I posted after post #5 without even reading it. Guess I must of missed it :)

WayneFrancis
2008-Dec-19, 05:17 AM
I have to agree that there are bound to be features like this. Also remember that this is only 2D. While it looks fairly like a line in 2D I bet those stars zig zag in the Z dimension like the stock market on a wild day.

astromark
2008-Dec-19, 06:58 AM
JerryInWales; and Welcome.

Optical alignment., thats all it is.
If you spend as much time as I do searching the sky from a dark place. There are patterns and lines of stars all over the sky... Getting away from the spoiling effect of light spillage from cities you can see all sorts of odd things. Near the southern cross, the Jewel Box has a lovely line of four stars. One of which is very red and is said to be a candidate for a nova event... As star clusters go M13 is a good place to look for lines of stars. Look at any cluster of over a million stars and yes you will see lines. From a really dark place were the dimmest objects get bright.. We can see lots... of dots....... :)mark

JerryInWales
2008-Dec-20, 03:28 PM
Thank you for the hints, folks - much appreciated. Incidentally, I came to the forum via AstronomyCast, the "Fraser and Pamela show".

Jerry