PDA

View Full Version : Rscheearch form Cmabrigde Uinervtisy...

Vega115
2003-Nov-11, 04:50 PM
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch out of Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod apeapr. The olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe

Itesreintng ins't it? :lol:

informant
2003-Nov-11, 05:12 PM
It also doesn't matter whether we eat with utensils or with our hands, but I'm sticking to utensils. :P

Glom
2003-Nov-11, 05:51 PM
Hey, taht atuclaly wkreod. I'd ignaime you'd hvae to be pterty funelt in the lgnaugae for it to wrok toguhh. =D>

R.A.F.
2003-Nov-11, 05:53 PM
Not to "knock" this too hard but...

Some of us out here possess what I like to call "the proof reading gene." IOW, when reading along, and a spelling error appears, it totally stops the "flow" of what is being read. You can only imagine how difficult it was to read your paragraph without stopping for every word. Oh, I understood it alright...but it hurt my brain doing so. :)

Glom
2003-Nov-11, 05:57 PM
Here's a question: how would dyslexics find the OP?

Enoyna htiw aixelsyd no eht draob?

(Sorry, couldn't resist. 8-[ )

informant
2003-Nov-11, 06:10 PM
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch out of Cmabrigde Uinervtisy[...]
The order of the letters in this example doesn't seem so arbitrary to me. Apart from keeping the first and the last letter in the right place, there seem to be other things going on. Examples:

"Aoccdrnig": Keeps the order within vowels and consonants. Just shifts vowels back and forth, in other words.

"Cmabrigde": Aside from shifting the vowels, all they do here is switch 'dg' into 'gd'. Pretty easy to spot this change.

"deosn't": The same with vowels. A common typing error.

"Uinervtisy": Switching positions of consecutive consonants, again, this time for two pairs.

"iprmoetnt": A mess at first sight. In reality, though, all they did in addition to shifting the vowels around was move the 'm' a bit further ahead, and (inadvertedly?) change the 'a' into an 'e'.

Etc.

tuffel999
2003-Nov-11, 07:33 PM
Hasn't this been brought up before?

Eroica
2003-Nov-11, 08:11 PM
Yes (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8234&highlight=mttaer) and Yes (http://badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=149760&sid=a0e2653426f0f5f78ca50d5 72bc0e2a9#149760)

Jpax2003
2003-Nov-12, 01:26 AM
I remember reading or hearing that humans scan the words and actually read the word by the look of the word, not the individual letters. Of course we read the letters when it is an unfamiliar word, or if it is misspelt or spelt differently than we are used to seeing. Most of us can understand what the intent is, even when words are typoed.

Consider the fact that billions of people read by using a pictographic system. Our system is more abstract but has it's own problems. Have you ever been reading and get stuck on a word you know yet you just happen to see it differently that day and for some reason it just feels wrong? Like your brain gets stuck in neutral? The best thing is to back up and read from farther back then you skip over the word with perfect clarity and recollection.

Perhaps dyslexics should focus less on phonics and more on the concrete form and meanings of poly-glyphs.

NASA Fan
2003-Nov-12, 02:05 AM
I agree with R.A.F. it is annoying when that many words are mispelled.

space cadet
2003-Nov-12, 07:08 AM
I just read about this in the december issue of Readers Digest.

devil's advocate
2003-Nov-12, 07:45 PM
Humphrey already talks like this!

I showed this to a dyslexic friend, and he just laughingly said that it looked fine. But this reaction was similar to an English teature I showed this to.