PDA

View Full Version : NASA Baffled.. Magnetic Field Breach

brink
2008-Dec-20, 06:53 PM
I'm sure you have all heard of this but I would like to hear more insight from people who know more then me. :whistle:

NASA Magnetic Field Breach (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/16dec_giantbreach.htm)

Do some signs seem to point to pole shift / geomagnetic reversal? Or will the Earth's magnetic field bounce back from this?

The Sun can now rip open the magnetosphere, what the heck? Anyone have any updates on this?

Disinfo Agent
2008-Dec-20, 09:00 PM
Curses! How ever did the Rebels manage to pass through the surprise party that was waiting for them on Endor?

tusenfem
2008-Dec-20, 09:09 PM
Basicaly what this looks like here is that there is a large reconnection event taking place at the magnetopause, the outer reaches of the magnetosphere in the direction of the sun. However, the problem is that reconnection can only happen if there is "oppositely" directed magnetic fields, and the solar wind had the same polarity as the Earth. This would mean that there cannot be any reconnection, and thus no entry of particles into the magnetosphere.

I would have to see the paper, I might have missed the presentation this week at the AGU meeting. But what I can imagine happening is that the reconnection starts at high latitudes first and then there is a development down. But that is just speculation and should be taken with lots of salt.

This has nothing to do with field reversal and no the Earth's magnetic field is not disappearing.

Unfortunately, there is no mention of where this will be published, so I guess we have to wait.

Van Rijn
2008-Dec-21, 03:48 AM
Unfortunately, there is no mention of where this will be published, so I guess we have to wait.

This page:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/themis/news/themis_leaky_shield.html

appears to have some clues on what has and what will be published.

First:

It had been thought that when the sun’s magnetic field is aligned with that of the Earth, the door is shut and that few if any solar particles enter Earth’s magnetic shield. The door was thought to open up when the solar magnetic field direction points opposite to Earth’s field, leading to more solar particles inside the shield.

Surprisingly, recent observations by the THEMIS spacecraft fleet demonstrate that the opposite is true. "Twenty times more solar particles cross the Earth’s leaky magnetic shield when the sun’s magnetic field is aligned with that of the Earth compared to when the two magnetic fields are oppositely directed," said Marit Oieroset of the University of California, Berkeley, lead author of one of two papers on this research, published May 2008 in Geophysical Research Letters.

Emphasis added. I assume this is the article that they're referring to:

THEMIS multi-spacecraft observations of magnetosheath plasma penetration deep into the dayside low-latitude magnetosphere for northward and strong By IMF
(http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2008/2008GL033661.shtml)

And later in the NASA article it says:

While the THEMIS researchers discovered the size of the leak, they didn't know its location(s). This was discovered by Wenhui Li of the University of New Hampshire, Durham, N.H., and his team. They used a computer simulation to discover where two holes frequently develop in Earth's magnetic field, one at high latitude over the Northern hemisphere, and one at high latitude over the Southern hemisphere. The holes form over the daylit side of Earth, on the side of the magnetic shield facing the sun.

The simulation also showed how the leaks develop. As solar particles flow out from the sun, they carry solar magnetic fields past our planet. Li's team realized that the solar magnetic field drapes against Earth's field as it passes by. Even though the two fields point in the same direction at equatorial latitudes, they point in opposite directions at high latitudes, When compression forces the opposite fields together, they link up with each other in a process called magnetic reconnection. This process tears the two holes in Earth's magnetic field and appends the section of the solar field between the two holes to Earth's field, carrying the solar particles on this section into the magnetosphere, according to Li's team. "We've found if the door is closed, the sun tears down a wall. The crack is huge – about four times wider than Earth and more then seven Earth diameters long," said Li, whose paper will be published in an upcoming article of the Journal of Geophysical Research.

Again, emphasis added. So, Li's article on the simulation will be published in the Journal of Geophysical Research.

novaderrik
2008-Dec-21, 04:25 AM
if it wasn't so cold and snowy outside, i think i might go outside and run around waving my hands in the air like a madman, since this is obviously one of the first signs of the end of the world.

Ara Pacis
2008-Dec-21, 07:55 AM
if it wasn't so cold and snowy outside, i think i might go outside and run around waving my hands in the air like a madman, since this is obviously one of the first signs of the end of the world.

Nah, I think the stock market beat it this time around, but that's probably due to insider trading.

John Jaksich
2008-Dec-21, 10:01 AM
Greetings,

I have been using the following link to follow the sun's weather--it is fairly well-done:

http://www.spaceweather.com/

tusenfem
2008-Dec-21, 10:16 AM
This page:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/themis/news/themis_leaky_shield.html

appears to have some clues on what has and what will be published.

First:

Emphasis added. I assume this is the article that they're referring to:

THEMIS multi-spacecraft observations of magnetosheath plasma penetration deep into the dayside low-latitude magnetosphere for northward and strong By IMF
(http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2008/2008GL033661.shtml)

And later in the NASA article it says:

Again, emphasis added. So, Li's article on the simulation will be published in the Journal of Geophysical Research.

Thanks van Rijn. I downloaded the paper (I have a subscription to GRL and JGR) and will look through the paper. More info later.

Will have to search for the Li paper.

Okay, a quick look at the abstract shows that there was a significant By in the solar wind (i.e. in the direction of Earth's motion around the sun) and thus it would be fairly "easy" to get component reconnection on the magnetopause. So, it is not so surprising, the surprising thing is that in the press release it was so emphasized that it was strongly northward, but then ey! it's a press release, and you should know by now what my opinion of press releases is ...

novaderrik
2008-Dec-22, 02:34 AM
This has already been discussed to a certain extent here:

http://www.bautforum.com/conspiracy-theories/82567-more-2012-magnetic-field-nonsense-help.html

Sorry, I have yet to figure out how to make nice pretty links in my posts. =)

The short story version is that these "leaks" in Earth's magnetic field have always been present because of the interplay with the Sun's larger field. The NASA scientists were surprised to discover that the alignment of the Sun's field with our own has the opposite effect of that predicted.

NASA scientists were not "baffled" and no one ran out into the snow with their hands up in the air except for novaderrick.

Regards,

Tes
well, lucky me.. the coldness and snowiness prevented me from getting outdoors, so no one ran outside and waved their arms frantically...

Jerry
2008-Dec-22, 04:59 AM
So it is only the principles in this investigation that are agog?

Rex84
2008-Dec-22, 09:55 AM
NASA scientists were not "baffled" and no one ran out into the snow with their hands up in the air except for novaderrick.

Regards,

Tes

Hey motion creates emotion. Nothing wrong with a bit of hand waving and romping in the snow. You go novaderrick! Darn the torpedos!

Ramming speed!!! Hard right! Full rudder!

Jerry
2008-Dec-23, 03:57 AM
Wondering out-loud:

Notice the dramatic drop in solar wind density downstream. Could this mean that the solar wind actually adds atmosphere to the earth, rather than stripping it away?

tusenfem
2008-Dec-23, 08:40 AM
[quote=Jerry;1394354
Notice the dramatic drop in solar wind density downstream. Could this mean that the solar wind actually adds atmosphere to the earth, rather than stripping it away?[/quote]

It is well known that solar wind plasma enters the magnetosphere during reconnection events.

publiusr
2009-Jan-16, 09:50 PM
I would think our gravity is enough to lessen atmo loss. More than Mars at least.